TOTTENHAM v Burnley FA CUP 3rd round Friday 5 th Jan 20-00 MATCH THREAD | Page 10 | Vital Football

TOTTENHAM v Burnley FA CUP 3rd round Friday 5 th Jan 20-00 MATCH THREAD

Him and Hojberg dont seem to cope when pressured, they turn it over way too easily.

Neither have the composure needed to play at the top level, Skipp needs to move on for both parties to kick on.

Think can already chalk next week as a loss with hojberg/Skipp in the middle
Playing them two as a pair is literally going back to Nuno. That was his favourite pairing. Was atrocious to watch.

It needed a worldie to settle it as we had nothing in attack to speak of. Gone are the sweeping moves that turn defences and no fox in the box to administer the coup de grace. Can't fault the effort to dominate possession but the entertainment value has dropped to nearly Conte levels. Just when you think Richy have arrived, he disappoints yet again.
I'm inclined to agree where last nights performance was concerned, there was very little entertainment and not a lot of good football. That needs to be put into the context however of how Burnley played, they only set out to spoil. As I've said elsewhere, we struggle, and have done so for many seasons, against teams that only set out to play negatively.
All of our best performances since Postco arrived have been in matches where the opposition were prepared to go toe to toe with us. Even the Everton game, which I had no expectations for, was a thoroughly entertaining game, because Everton played their part in producing an open game which encouraged entertaining football. Very different from last night, and Sheffield United earlier in the season, where opposition tactics completely negate Postco's football philosophy.

Dreadful in the final third, the rest was from middle to back was just about competent, they all looked dead on their feet for much of the game - not sure why, the passing by almost everybody lacked zip or incision and our fromt three just didn't know what to do when they were in their box or around it, crosses were mishit, timing shit and at times clueless.

But on the positive side, we got past them with a truly fabulous goal that lit the place up, it was worth being there for that alone.

I'm inclined to agree where last nights performance was concerned, there was very little entertainment and not a lot of good football. That needs to be put into the context however of how Burnley played, they only set out to spoil. As I've said elsewhere, we struggle, and have done so for many seasons, against teams that only set out to play negatively.
All of our best performances since Postco arrived have been in matches where the opposition were prepared to go toe to toe with us. Even the Everton game, which I had no expectations for, was a thoroughly entertaining game, because Everton played their part in producing an open game which encouraged entertaining football. Very different from last night, and Sheffield United earlier in the season, where opposition tactics completely negate Postco's football philosophy.

Burnley came to kill the game and get a replay or get lucky on the break, they appeared to have no intention of winning this game - I don't blame them, staying up is a much bigger challenge for them, I don't know the foul count, but even they knew when to foul and kick their way out of trouble, exactly as we've seen in our last two game with an 18 v 6 foul count.

No one stood out, apart from Porro and venom, who once again both look like absolute bargains.

If he wasn't an academy lad he wouldn't be here.

Winks was and is better.

The club must stop this sentimental nonsense and stop rewarding these bottom of the table, Championship level players.

We genuinely have better players in the academy.

He was always head and shoulder above him, now that his injury from 4 seasons ago is finally sorted, he's playing some of the best football of his life - will be great to see him back in the Prem next season.

I guess that's why the goalie had to make two pretty decent saves then?
One shot telegraphing his intentions like an email sent days before. And the other attempt into the ground, taking all the pace out of the shot. Not to mention the poor attempt at the volley, which he had ages to see and set himself to make a good connection. His most embarrassing act was getting his feet tangled up on the touchline and kicking the ball out of play. He then has the audacity in the post-match interview to take the piss out of Porro. He has an appalling technique and is the coming of a second Sessegnon, two rabbits caught in the headlights. Although he started the game well, that quickly declined into his usual mediocrity. For a £50m player, we have been robbed.

One shot telegraphing his intentions like an email sent days before. And the other attempt into the ground, taking all the pace out of the shot. Not to mention the poor attempt at the volley, which he had ages to see and set himself to make a good connection. His most embarrassing act was getting his feet tangled up on the touchline and kicking the ball out of play. He then has the audacity in the post-match interview to take the piss out of Porro. He has an appalling technique and is the coming of a second Sessegnon, two rabbits caught in the headlights. Although he started the game well, that quickly declined into his usual mediocrity. For a £50m player, we have been robbed.
Whether or not his technique leaves a lot to be desired the point was he was really the only player who showed any real intent to get shots in and on target, that says more about the rest of the team than him. We got lucky with one decent hit from Porro who otherwise had a poor game.

This window? Would need another in if they both go
No, It looks like we will now hold onto hoj until the summer, neither Bayern or Juve are pressing their interest at the moment. Fulham are supposedly also interested, but he has already rebuffed them by all accounts. As for skippy, Leeds are supposedly tracking him - guess we will see.

No, It looks like we will now hold onto hoj until the summer, neither Bayern or Juve are pressing their interest at the moment. Fulham are supposedly also interested, but he has already rebuffed them by all accounts. As for skippy, Leeds are supposedly tracking him - guess we will see.
Munich might go in for Palhinha, freeing up Fulham to make the move

Sadly i can't see Hojberg agreeing to Fulham as you said.

Whether or not his technique leaves a lot to be desired the point was he was really the only player who showed any real intent to get shots in and on target, that says more about the rest of the team than him. We got lucky with one decent hit from Porro who otherwise had a poor game.
His technique is one of too many other impediments for the money paid.

We must all see things differently.
I thought possession wise we dominated the game with Burnley or should that be BORELY playing a Park the Bus game.
We were guilty of over playing most times, trying to thread it through.
I thought Richi tho 'not on form, didn't get great service either.
I don't think Kane scored in every game either, but at le last Richi runs a bit.
I thought Bentancur played very well looking, strong, composed, and decisive.
Emerson was very athletic.
Johnson did well.
I thought Sess did OK
Whilst the other three subs
Donley, Gil and Scarlett like boys against men.
Nothing in them to show me they're ready for first team football.
Very ugly win
However Burnley were never scoring, they couldn't score a piece of furniture. Awful boring team who tried to smash and grab, but just ended up making a boring game with their negativity.
BTW ref gave em every little decision and us nowt (yet again)
Next
100% with you there Niall...very god post/breakdown of the game. COYS

Well I didn't watch it on tele, but I did record it, but I might not bother with that now! Not after learning this:

"So ITV get a Tottenham FA Cup tie, & who do they employ?!

Presenter: Laura Woods (Arsenal fanatic)
Pundit 1: Ian Wright (Arsenal legend)
Pundit 2: Karen Carney (Arsenal & Chelsea legend)Co-commentator:
Lee Dixon (Arsenal legend)

WTF were ITV thinking!?

Well we did Win, no matter how it was a Win.

Did we get lucky wiv that wonderous strike from Pedro? who knows but what a goal, breathtaking!

We in general were the better team, ok not as good as we can be, but its what FA Cup football is about.

Burnley had no intention of trying to win, Park the Bus, hope! for a break, thus the entertainment value dropped! simple!
By the way look at how many of the so called top sides struggle v Bus Parkers!
Boring/frustrating game! that is a big YES!

Win ugly, win beautifully doesn't matter We Won!

As I said We Won, we are in the hat! lets hope for a good Home draw! in the next round.

How many winners of this trophy had so called lucky moments on the way to winning it, answer just about all of em!

Next, am a happy Yid. COYS

Well I didn't watch it on tele, but I did record it, but I might not bother with that now! Not after learning this:

WTF were ITV thinking!?
7:30 I turned TV on, one look at the presenters and 5 mins later I turned it off. On at 8:00 without commentary, off at half time and repeat for 2nd half....followed by instant switch over at fulltime whistle. Earlier they seemed more interested in showing Wrighty's past highlights!.....instant turn off.

Last edited:

WTF were ITV thinking!?
Haha Ex, me and an oppo talked about that last night, me moaning about ex-Gooner players n Gooner female's as pundits, his part response "better male ex-Gooners than females who have no experience and basically know fcuk all about the mans game! lol"
He followed wiv I would rather have Souness or Keane. lol!

I said so true but we are old dinosaurs lol!

Well we did Win, no matter how it was a Win.

Did we get lucky wiv that wonderous strike from Pedro? who knows but what a goal, breathtaking!

We in general were the better team, ok not as good as we can be, but its what FA Cup football is about.

Burnley had no intention of trying to win, Park the Bus, hope! for a break, thus the entertainment value dropped! simple!
By the way look at how many of the so called top sides struggle v Bus Parkers!
Boring/frustrating game! that is a big YES!

Win ugly, win beautifully doesn't matter We Won!

As I said We Won, we are in the hat! lets hope for a good Home draw! in the next round.

How many winners of this trophy had so called lucky moments on the way to winning it, answer just about all of em!

Next, am a happy Yid. COYS

The game played out pretty much as I expect, deep block by Burnley, little space, and some poor decision-making by us in and around their box and when it was available our execution was wanting.

Porro wasn't lucky, he did the intelligent thing:- nothing on, little movement and knew the clock was ticking down, it was one of the few occasions where they didn't close us down quickly, so he made the decision and took the shot and what a shot it was.

No luck about, but a great deal of foresight and skill PJ!