MATCH THREAD - Luton vs Spurs - 7 Oct @ 0630 US CST | Page 15 | Vital Football

MATCH THREAD - Luton vs Spurs - 7 Oct @ 0630 US CST

A bit surprised how a number of fans just expect us to turn up at little old Luton and turn them over easily. I forecast 1-1 prior to the game so am delighted with a win and another 3 points. History of the Premiership tells us that away games at clubs fighting for survival are always difficult and over the years we had our struggles at places like Burnley, West Brom even Norwich but we have won, should be by a greater margin but it wasn’t so what?
A season is always a mixture of performances and all we can hope is when we struggle we still get the win, we did so let’s move on Fulham are next and hopefully another three points and repeat
We won, but it illustrates a lack of ruthlessness to put a game to bed. It's what separates Citeh from the rest.

Last week, he did really well, which he always does when he isn't the one put on the spot to convert; as a striker, one of the most essential attributes you have to learn (and generally it's something that's taught into you from a young age) is composure – that is the difference between being skilful and using those skills and being skilful but not bringing the technique and skills to bear when it matters.

To go from one extreme to another, you can't help but look back and wonder how many Harry would have been scoring in this team, with this approach.

We also need to prepare, we're going to take a beating if we don't fix the Richi problem, as his misses simply encourages the opposition to come again at us.

I wish and hope Ange can fix Richi's lack of composure, but suspect it's way too late to fix an issue that has blighted his career in the PL, sadly, I suspect he will represent another big write-off if Ange is to fulfil his ambitions, and ours.
Until yesterday, I didn't think we were missing Harry. BJ, Ivan and Manor all helped bridge the gap and made space for Sonny to shine. Yesterday our finishing was terrible and I fear inconsistency will limit our ambition but I'm still optimistic of a top 4 challenge. With Harry it would have been nailed on.

We won, but it illustrates a lack of ruthlessness to put a game to bed. It's what separates Citeh from the rest.

No, it more demonstrated a lack of finishing.

Moving forward, that is what Age will have to try and fix.

When Ange took over, the prevailing view was that results would probably initially be slow. How wrong this view was.

In fairness, this had tended to be the pattern in his previous jobs, and was certainly the case at his two roles before taking over at Spurs. Ange was almost relegated in his first season with Yokohama, while Celtic lost three and drew one of his first seven league matches in charge.

‘Be patient, Spurs fans’, was the message, it will be worth it when he gets it all working.

It’s turned out very differently and, after yesterdays 1-0 win at Luton, we are top of the league (for a day at least) having picked up more points from our first eight games than in any other PL season.

The win at Luton wasn’t always pretty, but we still created a heap of chances in the first half and in general have reached top spot by playing enterprising, exciting football; for those of us who've gone and paid our money more in despair at what we were going to see than in hope, it's a startling change in our fortunates.

We are now playing exactly the kind of football it was thought might take a season for the players to execute, as they got used to Ange's tactics and methods. (Which is generally how those slow starts at his previous clubs have been explained).

Why then has this time been different?

Our approach has been relentless and ruthless, we've given little time to the opposition to settle on the ball, when we'be lost possession, we've hurried and harried them into mistakes, which is why our turnovers and repossession stats are startling for a team only newly versed in a whole new way to play front football.

No doubt, we will have to try and keep improving as the season drags on, and there is a long way to go, and no doubt our faith will be tested when we suffer some hard to swallow defeats (which is going to happen).

But we are in our infancy under Ange, we're not yet anywhere near the finished product.

Yesterday we showed resilience and mental fortitude, it was another hurdle we successfully negotiated, there will be more.

When Ange took over, the prevailing view was that results would probably initially be slow. How wrong this view was.

In fairness, this had tended to be the pattern in his previous jobs, and was certainly the case at his two roles before taking over at Spurs. Ange was almost relegated in his first season with Yokohama, while Celtic lost three and drew one of his first seven league matches in charge.

‘Be patient, Spurs fans’, was the message, it will be worth it when he gets it all working.

It’s turned out very differently and, after yesterdays 1-0 win at Luton, we are top of the league (for a day at least) having picked up more points from our first eight games than in any other PL season.

The win at Luton wasn’t always pretty, but we still created a heap of chances in the first half and in general have reached top spot by playing enterprising, exciting football; for those of us who've gone and paid our money more in despair at what we were going to see than in hope, it's a startling change in our fortunates.

We are now playing exactly the kind of football it was thought might take a season for the players to execute, as they got used to Ange's tactics and methods. (Which is generally how those slow starts at his previous clubs have been explained).

Our approach has been relentless and ruthless, we've given little time to the opposition to settle on the ball, when we'be lost possession, we've hurried and harried them into mistakes, which is why our turnovers and repossession stats are startling for a team only newly versed in a whole new way to play front football.

No doubt, we will have to try and keep improving as the season drags on, and there is a long way to go, and no doubt our faith will be tested when we suffer some hard to swallow defeats (which is going to happen).

But we are in our infancy under Ange, we're not yet anywhere near the finished product.

Yesterday we showed resilience and mental fortitude, it was another hurdle we successfully negotiated, there will be more.

This in spades.

Until yesterday, I didn't think we were missing Harry. BJ, Ivan and Manor all helped bridge the gap and made space for Sonny to shine. Yesterday our finishing was terrible and I fear inconsistency will limit our ambition but I'm still optimistic of a top 4 challenge. With Harry it would have been nailed on.
That's why we need to back Ange with a quality striker in the January window. I know it's not the best time to buy but if it had the potential to be the difference between finishing in or out of the top 4 it would be worth it.

A bit surprised how a number of fans just expect us to turn up at little old Luton and turn them over easily. I forecast 1-1 prior to the game so am delighted with a win and another 3 points. History of the Premiership tells us that away games at clubs fighting for survival are always difficult and over the years we had our struggles at places like Burnley, West Brom even Norwich but we have won, should be by a greater margin but it wasn’t so what?
A season is always a mixture of performances and all we can hope is when we struggle we still get the win, we did so let’s move on Fulham are next and hopefully another three points and repeat
Lets be honest Skelly if it wasn't for totally crap finishing from Richy, Sonny, mind add Maddy into the mix, we would/should have walked it.

l
Last week, he did really well, which he always does when he isn't the one put on the spot to convert; as a striker, one of the most essential attributes you have to learn (and generally it's something that's taught into you from a young age) is composure – that is the difference between being skilful and using those skills and being skilful but not bringing the technique and skills to bear when it matters.

To go from one extreme to another, you can't help but look back and wonder how many Harry would have been scoring in this team, with this approach.

We also need to prepare, we're going to take a beating if we don't fix the Richi problem, as his misses simply encourages the opposition to come again at us.

I wish and hope Ange can fix Richi's lack of composure, but suspect it's way too late to fix an issue that has blighted his career in the PL, sadly, I suspect he will represent another big write-off if Ange is to fulfil his ambitions, and ours.

Tbf to Richi, him missing chances isn't just him, Son is as wasteful at times, but I agree, I just hope we do not panic buy Toney.

Evan Ferguson in the summer should be out target, he's a Kane Clone

Veliz will be starting games soon I think, he looked lively in the 10 minutes or and was unlucky not to get his shot away in the last few seconds.

Can he be worse?

Thinking on our wastage yesterday....all seemed to be involved somehow....

Richy....3 bloody good chances wasted.
Sonny....2 ditto
Pedro....1 ditto, mind unlucky wiv his outside of the boot curler.
Maddy....2 poor free kicks, 3 shots blazed over the bar, get em on target work the GK.
Kulu....far post shot saved by their GK.
Players generally how many shots on on target.

There might be more but am going from stuff that stood out.

Managing expectations I’d say is Ange’s biggest immediate task.

I don’t think even the most optimistic Spurs fan would have predicted such a good start to the season. To be even in a discussion about winning the PL seems barely credible.

When Poch joined us in 2014 we were a laughing stock. Two years later we were a laughing stock again for failing to win the PL! That’s what raised and unrealistic expectations can do.

As it is Ange is having to pick pretty well the same first eleven each week such is the paucity of like-for-like replacements. Son and Maddison look like they are carrying injuries and are being nursed through 60-80 minutes before being substituted. Injuries, fatigue and loss of form are almost certainties as the season progresses.

Also, we have to remember half of our team are young players in their first full season in the Premier League.

I think it’s totally unrealistic to expect this sort of form to continue throughout the season. We need to rein in our expectations of the level we can reach each week and appreciate what Ange and the team have produced so far.

I don’t think even the most optimistic Spurs fan would have predicted such a good start to the season. To be even in a discussion about winning the PL seems barely credible.

When Poch joined us in 2014 we were a laughing stock. Two years later we were a laughing stock again for failing to win the PL! That’s what raised and unrealistic expectations can do.

As it is Ange is having to pick pretty well the same first eleven each week such is the paucity of like-for-like replacements. Son and Maddison look like they are carrying injuries and are being nursed through 60-80 minutes before being substituted. Injuries, fatigue and loss of form are almost certainties as the season progresses.

Also, we have to remember half of our team are young players in their first full season in the Premier League.

I think it’s totally unrealistic to expect this sort of form to continue throughout the season. We need to rein in our expectations of the level we can reach each week and appreciate what Ange and the team have produced so far.
You are probably right there Gary, but why be so negative, dreaming and being positive never hurt anyone, we all know that we might come down wiv a bump, then again we might not, who bloody cares, live the dream and enjoy the ride, long may it last. COYS

You are probably right there Gary, but why be so negative, dreaming and being positive never hurt anyone, we all know that we might come down wiv a bump, then again we might not, who bloody cares, live the dream and enjoy the ride, long may it last. COYS
That wasn't my point at all Pompey.

I was referring to the criticism of Ange and the team when we fail to produce title-winning performances each week. The benchmark has been set high but it's unrealistic to expect us to reach it every week for a myriad of reasons.

The very last thing I said in my post - and what I've said all season - is to 'appreciate what Ange and the team have produced so far'.

This! Add to this the normal failure when we have the chance of topping the league which we overcame this time against difficult circumstances, and we have much to be pleased about. Results matter and we got what we needed!

That wasn't my point at all Pompey.

I was referring to the criticism of Ange and the team when we fail to produce title-winning performances each week. The benchmark has been set high but it's unrealistic to expect us to reach it every week for a myriad of reasons.

The very last thing I said in my post - and what I've said all season - is to 'appreciate what Ange and the team have produced so far'.
Apologies Gary, I re-read your post only slowly lol! you are right there.

I don't want my expectations managed. They are being exceeded so far as we seem to be having the rub of the green. Having said that, the resilience shown augers well and we do have quality players coming back from injury. Whilst the luck might wane, there is every reason to expect that the squad will continue to improve under Ange's coaching. Yesterday was a bad day with a good result and no doubt there will be good days with bad results to come. We are all now engaged at least.