The Carabao Cup Thread | Page 175 | Vital Football

The Carabao Cup Thread

My thoughts on it all.

It was bloody dreadful. No one can argue otherwise, it was just, well, dreadful. From the prices, the journey there (roadworks galore), to the fact the club have locked proper fans out the ground in the rain, whilst the 'chosen few' can look out like a Roman Emporer on the Christians, to the attendance - which quite frankly, the club deserved all they got and boy was it satisfying to see it, the crap new video and music before (which seems to suggest winning the Play Off Final is something Real Madrid should envy us for !!), the HT 'entertainment' where the poor girl hsd to perform tricks Ronaldo and Messi would walk away from for being too hard, to win enough Reward Points to win a small plastic wallet to hold your ST in, to the atmosphere, which was 23k Villa fans thinking 'just get us out of here, whilst, fair play, Everton fans made some noise, to the ridiculous traffic bearing in mind the attendance, meaning we were still at a standstill outside that chip shop by Manon School at 10 to 11, to the motorway being shut - thus getting home at 0130.

All in all, it was shit !!!!

However, I, nor anyone I know, booed the team / manager that had just won 10 home games in a row, been better than every team bar one for the last year, and, had just had an off night

Those who did - you should be embarrassed and ashamed of yourself. We don't need you at Villa Park (unless you are willing to pay 120 to go in the Lower Grounds / Terrace View, and if you can - the club will bend over backwards for you !!!

My thoughts on it all.

It was bloody dreadful. No one can argue otherwise, it was just, well, dreadful. From the prices, the journey there (roadworks galore), to the fact the club have locked proper fans out the ground in the rain, whilst the 'chosen few' can look out like a Roman Emporer on the Christians, to the attendance - which quite frankly, the club deserved all they got and boy was it satisfying to see it, the crap new video and music before (which seems to suggest winning the Play Off Final is something Real Madrid should envy us for !!), the HT 'entertainment' where the poor girl hsd to perform tricks Ronaldo and Messi would walk away from for being too hard, to win enough Reward Points to win a small plastic wallet to hold your ST in, to the atmosphere, which was 23k Villa fans thinking 'just get us out of here, whilst, fair play, Everton fans made some noise, to the ridiculous traffic bearing in mind the attendance, meaning we were still at a standstill outside that chip shop by Manon School at 10 to 11, to the motorway being shut - thus getting home at 0130.

All in all, it was shit !!!!

However, I, nor anyone I know, booed the team / manager that had just won 10 home games in a row, been better than every team bar one for the last year, and, had just had an off night

Those who did - you should be embarrassed and ashamed of yourself. We don't need you at Villa Park (unless you are willing to pay 120 to go in the Lower Grounds / Terrace View, and if you can - the club will bend over backwards for you !!!

Back with a bang HL!.

Stick around , it'll be fun . :thumbup:

Very good article. It now costs me approximately £200 per game if I don't do an overnight stop. Last season I did only a handful of games, and about 10/12 the previous few seasons. I recognize I am an exception, but loads on here come from well outside the midlands and their costs are also significant. My brother, a life long attender has now gone from every game, also taking his two grandchildren, and he's only in Aldridge, to picking only the low category matches because the top fixtures you really want to see are more than he is willing to shell out for. He didn't do the Everton game because of the cost, and the fact that he thought it was probably going to be a shit show, and he was right. That's two up and coming regular Villains that now dont get to matches. Judging by the gate many more felt the same way
IPTV looks a fantastic little investment, not the same as being there, but better than nothing.

Very good article. It now costs me approximately £200 per game if I don't do an overnight stop. Last season I did only a handful of games, and about 10/12 the previous few seasons. I recognize I am an exception, but loads on here come from well outside the midlands and their costs are also significant. My brother, a life long attender has now gone from every game, also taking his two grandchildren, and he's only in Aldridge, to picking only the low category matches because the top fixtures you really want to see are more than he is willing to shell out for. He didn't do the Everton game because of the cost, and the fact that he thought it was probably going to be a shit show, and he was right. That's two up and coming regular Villains that now dont get to matches. Judging by the gate many more felt the same way
IPTV looks a fantastic little investment, not the same as being there, but better than nothing.

It is, quite the clever title to the article too (Freed From Desire). I only live 7.5mi from Villa Park (For context the blues are 6mi away so really nothing in it in terms of my local clubs) and don’t have nowhere near the same sort of costs of those from many more miles away and I too think it’s becoming too expensive given where it was only 2-3 seasons ago, was it too cheap? Probably, but that’s where we were at the time. Now it’s pretty much double and the complete opposite, I just don’t feel there’s as much value in it as I did before. So far this season the atmosphere has been terrible to the point I felt as though I may as well have watched at home on the firestick. We’re nowhere near the point of the season where the season ticket prices are announced and I’m already thinking it’s not worth it anymore, another daft price rise would just confirm it. Those that say it’s the price of success or other such nonsense, what success? 7th place and european qualification is a great improvement but it’s not success. When I see McGinn lift the FA Cup at Wembley then I’ll agree on the word success.

Also in the news today is the next premier league tv deal, they expect to make even more than before from it (Not sure who pays for these things when everyone is on the firesticks), they don’t need to fleece the proper fans that have been going for years, those are the fans the club needs in the long run, once you lose them I doubt they’ll come back.

Last edited:
, they don’t need to fleece the proper fans that have been going for years,
This is the nub of it. I accept they are a business, I accept the FFP constraints they have to deal with, but in the grand scheme of things ticket prices aren't the be all and end all of the income stream. The article made the point that Birmingham wages are 17th in the country in terms of size of pay packet, and to expect Metropolitan prices from a local fan base is pushing it a bit. Also remember the likes of 57 saying that he's on the verge of being priced out of his season tickets. When you're looking at the likes of him and yourself starting to think the unthinkable after years of support, through mostly bad times,it's not good.

This is the nub of it. I accept they are a business, I accept the FFP constraints they have to deal with, but in the grand scheme of things ticket prices aren't the be all and end all of the income stream. The article made the point that Birmingham wages are 17th in the country in terms of size of pay packet, and to expect Metropolitan prices from a local fan base is pushing it a bit. Also remember the likes of 57 saying that he's on the verge of being priced out of his season tickets. When you're looking at the likes of him and yourself starting to think the unthinkable after years of support, through mostly bad times,it's not good.

It’s a conundrum, you don’t want to give something up that’s so engrained into your life from a young age, you also don’t want to miss that chance to see Villa lift a trophy at Wembley (FOMO) but equally you don’t want your pants pulled down just so they can squeeze a few more quid out the working man. I can afford it (At least at the moment) but if a box of weetabix was £10 I wouldn’t buy it as it wouldn’t be value for money even if I really like it, the same goes for Villa, it’s getting to the point where it isn’t value for money anymore. All the off fields things only compound the feeling.

This is the nub of it. I accept they are a business, I accept the FFP constraints they have to deal with, but in the grand scheme of things ticket prices aren't the be all and end all of the income stream.
I just don't get it myself, German football has it right from the start with ticket sales and the matchday experience. Trying to shoehorn an American experience into the game is stupid. I've been to lots of NBA, MLB etc. and the huge difference is you're at an American game for hours. Nothing happens for broad periods of those games so yeah having large concourses and little fan areas to gather makes sense.

You can take off for a lap of the stadium during an MLB game or NBA game and you're not missing much. Christ the first 3 sporting events I went to in the states I arrived at HT. A lot of people miss the beginning of matches, absolutely unheard of for football.

Heck et al. need to think of it like an airline. You keep your "economy" / typical fan seating good and cheap. Then you have purpose-built experiences away from fan zones. The new stand should focus entirely on the commercial aspect. Then if that goes well remodel the Doug Ellis one. Leave the Holte end alone, that should be focused solely on getting regular fans a better experience.

They don't understand, Purslow should have known better.

Trying to shoehorn an American experience into the game is stupid. I've been to lots of NBA, MLB etc. and the huge difference is you're at an American game for hours. Nothing happens for broad periods of those games so yeah having large concourses and little fan areas to gather makes sense
My brother who i mentioned in my previous post has worked extensively in America, and has attended sporting events with customers he's out there to see. We recently had this conversation around Villa wanting fans to get to game's early,and stay later to sample the new corporate experience. He said not a chance it will work. He said the stadiums he had been to in the States had massive carparks and recreational areas, the weather was almost always hot and sunny, and the whole day out socializing with others was in the blood for these sporting occasion. Villa Park in the heart of Aston/ Witton can hardly compete.

It is, quite the clever title to the article too (Freed From Desire). I only live 7.5mi from Villa Park (For context the blues are 6mi away so really nothing in it in terms of my local clubs) and don’t have nowhere near the same sort of costs of those from many more miles away and I too think it’s becoming too expensive given where it was only 2-3 seasons ago, was it too cheap? Probably, but that’s where we were at the time. Now it’s pretty much double and the complete opposite, I just don’t feel there’s as much value in it as I did before. So far this season the atmosphere has been terrible to the point I felt as though I may as well have watched at home on the firestick. We’re nowhere near the point of the season where the season ticket prices are announced and I’m already thinking it’s not worth it anymore, another daft price rise would just confirm it. Those that say it’s the price of success or other such nonsense, what success? 7th place and european qualification is a great improvement but it’s not success. When I see McGinn lift the FA Cup at Wembley then I’ll agree on the word success.

Also in the news today is the next premier league tv deal, they expect to make even more than before from it (Not sure who pays for these things when everyone is on the firesticks), they don’t need to fleece the proper fans that have been going for years, those are the fans the club needs in the long run, once you lose them I doubt they’ll come back.
"Atmosphere has been terrible "
Yes, that Palace game? Forgotten already.

Wittonite, the bit where you mentioned the warm, sunny weather at U.S. sports events was the clincher for me. Aston/Witton just doesn’t fit the profile.

Fair play. You aint half good at shoe horning a dig at Emi1 into many a thread. :LOL:.
What is the issue you have with him out of interest?.Not Brad Guzan ?
Best keeper we have had since Bozzie but not been that good for us for many a month until last weekend. when he won us the game.I Only care about what he does for us not the Argentinians. Also, I think the constant trying to pin every defeat on Olsen is a bit ott. Especially when our number one is equally as crap with his feet.

Different industry I know but it's the same thing when it comes to pissing off your customers.

Years ago Holsten Pils was the biggest selling Pilsner in the world. Nobody could come close to it in sales. Anyway, Holsten brought in a new marketing manager who thought he could do better. He persuaded them to change the taste as in his words would persuade people who wouldn't drink it to change to Holsten. The new product wasn't a Pilsner and tasted awful. I was at the launch and saw people's reaction to the new product. Instead of listening to us they went ahead and launched it. It was an unmitigating disaster as existing Holsten Pils drinkers wouldn't touch it and moved to other Pilsners and the people they had targeted to move to it tried it and thought it was horrible. The product disappeared from the shelves and the company never recovered.

The moral being be careful what you wish for. Piss you customers off and they won't return.

Best keeper we have had since Bozzie but not been that good for us for many a month until last weekend. when he won us the game.I Only care about what he does for us not the Argentinians. Also, I think the constant trying to pin every defeat on Olsen is a bit ott. Especially when our number one is equally as crap with his feet.
Kicking? Bozzie wouldn't have made my Sunday Morning team based on his Kicking. Remember he often came out at half time to practise. For all that, excellent keeper.

Different industry I know but it's the same thing when it comes to pissing off your customers.

Years ago Holsten Pils was the biggest selling Pilsner in the world. Nobody could come close to it in sales. Anyway, Holsten brought in a new marketing manager who thought he could do better. He persuaded them to change the taste as in his words would persuade people who wouldn't drink it to change to Holsten. The new product wasn't a Pilsner and tasted awful. I was at the launch and saw people's reaction to the new product. Instead of listening to us they went ahead and launched it. It was an unmitigating disaster as existing Holsten Pils drinkers wouldn't touch it and moved to other Pilsners and the people they had targeted to move to it tried it and thought it was horrible. The product disappeared from the shelves and the company never recovered.

The moral being be careful what you wish for. Piss you customers off and they won't return.
Fulford, you clearly never "enjoyed " Davenports Mild.

Wouldn’t be the first time. Coke had their new coke fiasco. Coca-cola that is now lads!

Didn't Bud Lite make the same balls up, in a different way, by a new marketing executive appointing a trans model as the new face of the brand, or something similar.