The Science and Technology Thread | Page 32 | Vital Football

The Science and Technology Thread

Scientists have determined that there is no such thing as Beer Goggles. Really,
perhaps they can explain to me how in my younger days I would go to bed with a French Poodle and wake up next to a Rottweiler.

Shoulda gone to Specsavers first maybe then the dog pound wouldn't have looked like a nightclub? ;)

But yes some nights I ended up with ladies I wish I hadn't. Not so much as beer goggles as I couldn't move to get away. Never once did it make anyone prettier.

Scientist get paid to research this shit? How about cleaning the atmosphere instead. Reverse global warming, nope got beer pong to play...

Shoulda gone to Specsavers first maybe then the dog pound wouldn't have looked like a nightclub? ;)

But yes some nights I ended up with ladies I wish I hadn't. Not so much as beer goggles as I couldn't move to get away. Never once did it make anyone prettier.

Scientist get paid to research this shit? How about cleaning the atmosphere instead. Reverse global warming, nope got beer pong to play...

Even scientists who work in universities have to apply for research grants to get funding for their work. So they can't just research whatever they want, someone else has to agree to pay for it.

Obviously, if you want to research medicine, the drug companies will be happy to fund you. Maybe the breweries funded this one?

Even scientists who work in universities have to apply for research grants to get funding for their work. So they can't just research whatever they want, someone else has to agree to pay for it.

Obviously, if you want to research medicine, the drug companies will be happy to fund you. Maybe the breweries funded this one?

Yes, have a neighbor who is a scientist and he's currently searching for funding for his next research project. But he's not attached to a Uni.

And that for me is a difference, we have bigger problems in the world than beer goggles and to me Universities allowing this sort of nonsense research is irresponsible. Edit: and private companies/people that sponsor research in these Universities need to come under serious scrutiny.

Never mind it's obvious beer goggles aren't a thing otherwise why would date rape drugs be used.

Have one in the hall upstairs as the router is in the living room.

I think it's made a difference, my PC is in my room and the wi-fi cuts out now and again, but not as much anymore, so worth the 30 quid I paid for it I guess.
Is it one of those standard plug in things?

Any of you boys got wi fi signal boosters, and if so do they work.

Tried a couple over the years - router in backroom so booster on upstairs landing. Both at best added a bar but kids always struggled in their rooms, even though one was obviously directly above the backroom.

Couple of years back we tossed the booster off, and gave them both plug in USB dongles and their speeds both doubled easily and we've never had a complaint about the wifi since.

Tried a couple over the years - router in backroom so booster on upstairs landing. Both at best added a bar but kids always struggled in their rooms, even though one was obviously directly above the backroom.

Couple of years back we tossed the booster off, and gave them both plug in USB dongles and their speeds both doubled easily and we've never had a complaint about the wifi since.
Ah this sounds a very interesting route to look at. Thank you

Didn't know to put this in the "H" thread, but it's tech so putting it here.

Many thanks to Bitdefender for now deciding which websites are "safe" for me and blocking those it deems as not safe. Instead of protecting me from the bad stuff on the websites, I pay for a service to block me accessing what I wish.

Didn't know to put this in the "H" thread, but it's tech so putting it here.

Many thanks to Bitdefender for now deciding which websites are "safe" for me and blocking those it deems as not safe. Instead of protecting me from the bad stuff on the websites, I pay for a service to block me accessing what I wish.

That's to do with malware reports and the like mate I assume. It's browser association. I had the same chat with JF a couple of months ago, I could not get onto the site I needed to get to lol

In other news:

Eight-year-old Aditi Shankar has become the first child in the UK to receive a special type of kidney transplant that does not require her to take long-term drugs to stop rejection of the organ.
Doctors at Great Ormond Street Hospital say the breakthrough was made possible by reprogramming her immune system before giving her the new kidney.

Another fantastic step.

That's to do with malware reports and the like mate I assume. It's browser association. I had the same chat with JF a couple of months ago, I could not get onto the site I needed to get to lol

In other news:

Eight-year-old Aditi Shankar has become the first child in the UK to receive a special type of kidney transplant that does not require her to take long-term drugs to stop rejection of the organ.
Doctors at Great Ormond Street Hospital say the breakthrough was made possible by reprogramming her immune system before giving her the new kidney.

Another fantastic step.
Cancer cures must surely be within touching distance now.

It seems that most cancers are manageable these days if caught early enough. It's not the death sentence it was in the 80s.

Yep, my mother got melanoma a few years ago, not so long ago that in particular would have been a death sentence. She's been completely cancer free for around 6 years now.

I wonder how much AI will play in finding a cure or just even better treatment.