The Science and Technology Thread | Page 34 | Vital Football

The Science and Technology Thread

The Elongated Muskrat has broke Twitter again.

An advertising boycott of social media platform X is gathering pace amid an antisemitism storm on the site formerly known as Twitter.
Apple, Disney, Comcast and Warner Brothers Discovery have all halted advertising on X, US media report, following hot on the heels of IBM.
The European Commission, TV network Paramount and movie studio Lionsgate have also pulled ad dollars from X.
It comes after X owner Elon Musk amplified an antisemitic trope.

It is not to let people state untruths, lies, bullshit, racist, defamatory or otherwise discriminatory thoughts that occupy an empty head.

It is to freely see a singular fact and argue differently when the fact also serves that outlook.

It is not about - his words - being able to fundamentally disagree with what someone else says, irrespective of what they say. This is why even in the US FoS has fundamental limitations on what can be said.

This was never going to go well was it, how much money does he want to lose? Is he objecting to his kids names taking the limelight? Does he want us to talk about his self landing peni again?

Last edited:
The Elongated Muskrat has broke Twitter again.

An advertising boycott of social media platform X is gathering pace amid an antisemitism storm on the site formerly known as Twitter.
Apple, Disney, Comcast and Warner Brothers Discovery have all halted advertising on X, US media report, following hot on the heels of IBM.
The European Commission, TV network Paramount and movie studio Lionsgate have also pulled ad dollars from X.
It comes after X owner Elon Musk amplified an antisemitic trope.

This pedo guy - I mean creepy and I'll jdart it later (it was regular speak where I grew up in a pretty affluent, but not rich, area of Ward End and Musk will never take this seriously, why would he?) - just can't help himself. He fundamentally doesn't understand even the idea of free speech. It is not to let people state untruths, lies, bullshit, racist, defamatory or otherwise discriminatory thoughts that occupy an empty head.

It is to freely see a singular fact and argue differently when the fact also serves that outlook.

It is not about - his words - being able to fundamentally disagree with what someone else says, irrespective of what they say. This is why even in the US FoS has fundamental limitations on what can be said.

This was never going to go well was it, how much money does he want to lose? Is he objecting to his kids names taking the limelight? Does he want us to talk about his self landing peni again?
Sorry Mike. I've read your post numerous times and I can't figure out the point you are trying to make. Sorry.

Sorry Mike. I've read your post numerous times and I can't figure out the point you are trying to make. Sorry.

I was having one of those nights and entertaining myself at how he seems incapable of not buggering up his own plans for 'X'.

I was going to post about his new ship launch, but got sidetracked by that report lol

This could open up a whole can of worms going forward...

A girl was allegedly raped in the metaverse. Is this the beginning of a dark new future?​

British police are investigating the sexual assault of the girl, identified only as being under the age of 16, in what is said to be the first investigation of its kind in the UK. The girl was reportedly wearing a virtual reality headset and playing an immersive game in the metaverse when her avatar was attacked.

A girl was allegedly raped in the metaverse. Is this the beginning of a dark new future?​

British police are investigating the sexual assault of the girl, identified only as being under the age of 16, in what is said to be the first investigation of its kind in the UK. The girl was reportedly wearing a virtual reality headset and playing an immersive game in the metaverse when her avatar was attacked.

Only in The Graun.

Decent opinion piece in the main. I saw the story a couple of days back and get the responses it quotes.

It is not rape, but it is a classification of sexual assault that I'd say the law does not currently define in an appropriate way. And how could it, we've been talking for decades about policing the interweb and Gov's around the world have largely done fuck all.

For me, this is still a punishable crime, it will happen more often and whilst it might not be physical, it is very much mental. The one comment saying 'turn off'. So like a short skirt she was asking for it then eh - maybe nothing to be concerned about in the comments, descriptions being offered by these utter arsewipes at the point?

New age we need new laws.

Decent opinion piece in the main. I saw the story a couple of days back and get the responses it quotes.

It is not rape, but it is a classification of sexual assault that I'd say the law does not currently define in an appropriate way. And how could it, we've been talking for decades about policing the interweb and Gov's around the world have largely done fuck all.

For me, this is still a punishable crime, it will happen more often and whilst it might not be physical, it is very much mental. The one comment saying 'turn off'. So like a short skirt she was asking for it then eh - maybe nothing to be concerned about in the comments, descriptions being offered by these utter arsewipes at the point?

New age we need new laws.
I think it's a space that needs to be navigated carefully. Having your avatar gang raped cannot compare to someone being physically gang raped. It's no where near as traumatic, physically of course but also mentally.

The law doesn't really provide a lot of tools to deal with this sort of thing so it is certainly something that requires attention.

I think it's a space that needs to be navigated carefully. Having your avatar gang raped cannot compare to someone being physically gang raped. It's no where near as traumatic, physically of course but also mentally.

The law doesn't really provide a lot of tools to deal with this sort of thing so it is certainly something that requires attention.

Successive Gov's have hardly got a great track record as it is without adding this to the mix, and with Boris buggering the last bill by shutting down Parliament, this side of life is even further behind now.

The worry is in an effort to rush something through now, it'll be even more problematic.

Saw the same on the dog walk, youngest kid was fascinated and was talking themselves out of it being Jupiter, but then being convinced it was, until they weren't and so on.

I was a good dad. I started to walk ahead and left them to it lol

Saw the same on the dog walk, youngest kid was fascinated and was talking themselves out of it being Jupiter, but then being convinced it was, until they weren't and so on.

I was a good dad. I started to walk ahead and left them to it lol

Well your kids are smarter than me mate, I'm staring at it thinking the mothership has arrived, lol

Last edited:
Well you're kids are smarter than me mate, I'm staring at it thinking the mothership has arrived, lol

PMSL. Let's just say what the youngest likes becomes an obsession and it can go on repeat, so when something throws them, it can be a four hour conversation before it twigs again.

We are also talking about the same kid who freaks out when a star moves....until they realise it's a helicopter or plane lol

I do love how they've got into space in the last few years though.

PMSL. Let's just say what the youngest likes becomes an obsession and it can go on repeat, so when something throws them, it can be a four hour conversation before it twigs again.

We are also talking about the same kid who freaks out when a star moves....until they realise it's a helicopter or plane lol

I do love how they've got into space in the last few years though.

Great to hear they have an interest in it, it will never cease to amaze. I got obsessed with it all as a youngster, watched so many series on the planets etc.

Not that you'd think so, because I didn't even know I was looking at Jupiter tonight for fuck sake, lol

Great to hear they have an interest in it, it will never cease to amaze. I got obsessed with it all as a youngster, watched so many series on the planets etc.

Not that you'd think so, because I didn't even know I was looking at Jupiter tonight for fuck sake, lol

LMFAO! You are me on that front. Love it. Old man sat me a the backdoor when I was maybe 12 and we just talked and starred at the sky. That my hook. I had a neighbour with a basic telescope and he introduced me to the heat the moon gives off (science shit, still don't get it)...I was an hour late meeting my missus at the point - it was worth it!

I've now got s £600 quid telescope for my own kink, but I can't see constellations, or anything like that. I just see dots in the sky lol I don't get the patterns.

AI is really just a load of linear algebra, calculus and statistics. Why it is becoming so influential is a result of advances in compute power. Allowing techniques like deep learning neural networks and reinforcement learning to be deployed on huge data at speed/ scale to drive decision making.

AI does not think, it is simply optimising mathematical functions to make best predictions. These predictions are then turned into decisions.

So the point is this, AI is only as good as the data and the humans building the software.

What I do see though is lots of jobs eventually being replaced. Lower skilled jobs which can be automated are prime for this, especially as robots become more advanced. Lots of skilled jobs like in my field (software engineering) will also go as large language models are already showing promise in replacing software engineering tasks that humans do.

Can it be controlled? Yes. But it requires significant regulation.

AI is really just a load of linear algebra, calculus and statistics. Why it is becoming so influential is a result of advances in compute power. Allowing techniques like deep learning neural networks and reinforcement learning to be deployed on huge data at speed/ scale to drive decision making.

AI does not think, it is simply optimising mathematical functions to make best predictions. These predictions are then turned into decisions.

So the point is this, AI is only as good as the data and the humans building the software.

What I do see though is lots of jobs eventually being replaced. Lower skilled jobs which can be automated are prime for this, especially as robots become more advanced. Lots of skilled jobs like in my field (software engineering) will also go as large language models are already showing promise in replacing software engineering tasks that humans do.

Can it be controlled? Yes. But it requires significant regulation.
Do you foresee a world where some of the more catastrophic outcomes are envisaged.?

Do you foresee a world where some of the more catastrophic outcomes are envisaged.?
I expect AI to put a lot of people out of work but I think this will happen a lot more slowly than people think. I think this will take several decades to hit it's maximum point of impact when we will all be dead.

If there's a skynet type scenario on the cards then it will be several generations in the future and this will look nothing like the terminator but more along the lines of AI driven mistakes starting wars because it is heavily integrated into defense systems.