Wigan | Page 5 | Vital Football

Wigan

I have lost track. Did they actually pay (late of course) the last lot of wages or are they now two wage packets behind?

Wages due today for staff and players at Wigan. As the expected 8 figure funding has not materialised I think we can expect to see them on -12 points by next week.

The sooner they're gone and dead and buried, the better as far as I'm concerned.

They are just taking the p!ss out of football while the governing body stand about watching like a bunch of planks.

Stuff the fans aswell, let them start up again as another entity in the North West Counties league and let's see if this time they can rise up the leagues without sending other companies to the wall while they are chasing the dream to the promised land...and see if they can try and pay their employees a more realistic wage...even a wage they can actually afford to pay!!

I wonder if the muppets who gave them whatever award it was are all now looking at each other and saying " it wasn't my idea!".

I'm not an accountant and I don't know the dates of TV/solidarity payments, EFL rules etc.; but two questions to put out there for those more savvy than me.

1) Is it possible or even likely, that they are simply holding out for for Sky payments and ST funds to get through to the start of the season; maybe propped up by a player sale or two after 14/06?

2) If they were indeed living hand to mouth, does the EFL have a mechanism to step in before the matches start to establish how big the black hole is and assess whether they are likely to be able to see out the season in it's entirety?

Kick them deep into non-league football right now. NWCL at best. If the NWCL is willing to accept such dyed in the wool cheats, that is.

Having survived (i.e. walked away from) £46 MILLION of debt less than TWO years ago, thereby breaking local businesses and screwing everyone else in their path, you might have been forgiven for believing (former) CEO Malachy Brannigan's assertion that Wigan Athletic had a budget that would be STRICTLY adhered to.

Compulsive. Pathological. Ultimately hysterical.

Wigan Athletic have more than waived their rights to a place in the EFL.

High time to give the likes of Woking and Boreham Wood the opportunity to show that they are able to play by the rules. No more than that.

And the poor Wigan fans, wounded and devastated by these dreadful owners?

Do I feel sorry for them now?

Take a guess.

I'm not an accountant and I don't know the dates of TV/solidarity payments, EFL rules etc.; but two questions to put out there for those more savvy than me.

1) Is it possible or even likely, that they are simply holding out for for Sky payments and ST funds to get through to the start of the season; maybe propped up by a player sale or two after 14/06?

2) If they were indeed living hand to mouth, does the EFL have a mechanism to step in before the matches start to establish how big the black hole is and assess whether they are likely to be able to see out the season in it's entirety?
From what I can gather, and I might be wrong, the Sky and ST payments aren't going to touch the sides because their owner needs to put 125% of this seasons costs into an account (already missed the deadline for that).

I think 2) also relates to the above i.e. the 125% requirement.

I see two of their directors have resigned tonight promised funds not arriving made their position untenable.

A winding up petition could well be on the cards at this rate.

Charlton being taken over as well.

The Wigan cycle of spend too much, get taken over etc has got to stop sooner, can't carry on forever.

Charlie Methven- the cross between David Brent and an oily politician-has been the organiser of the Charlton deal. Netflix's Sunderland Till I Die series showed him as an interesting character. I'm so grateful we have Clive!