Has our recruitement been good enough? | Page 6 | Vital Football

Has our recruitement been good enough?

So, the wheeling & dealing is finished (probably, with 20 mins to go). Impossible to say whether it’s been a good window. The ball is now in MKs court (& the coaching staff). Don’t expect an immediate result - it could take a few games before we really see the result of the window. It’s not just about how good the individual players are, but how well they relate to their team-mates and how quickly and effectively they take to MKs game plan - that’s assuming he isn’t about to change the formation and style to make us more attacking. Whatever the outcome, it’s going to take at least two or three games before we start to see just what to expect for the rest of the season. I just hope MK can now mould the players into something like his desired formation and style, and allows the players a degree of freedom to express themselves and take responsibility to show what they can do, and hopefully take games by the scruff of the neck and impose themselves on the opposition.

So, the wheeling & dealing is finished (probably, with 20 mins to go). Impossible to say whether it’s been a good window. The ball is now in MKs court (& the coaching staff). Don’t expect an immediate result - it could take a few games before we really see the result of the window. It’s not just about how good the individual players are, but how well they relate to their team-mates and how quickly and effectively they take to MKs game plan - that’s assuming he isn’t about to change the formation and style to make us more attacking. Whatever the outcome, it’s going to take at least two or three games before we start to see just what to expect for the rest of the season. I just hope MK can now mould the players into something like his desired formation and style, and allows the players a degree of freedom to express themselves and take responsibility to show what they can do, and hopefully take games by the scruff of the neck and impose themselves on the opposition.

That's a really important point- L1 is a difficult league and I'm not expecting stellar performances from new players for a few weeks- assuming we evolve our current game plan to create more opportunities in the final 3rd then it may be March before we really see the changes take proper effect.

We've had some good players over the years but I always remember a few on here reserved judgement on Toffolo when he first came here.....it takes time, as you say, to gel with team-mates.

Not that everyone on here will give them time and some will expect results from Accrington is 3 days!

It's the truth though Ainsworth7, and it does not suit myself, and I know alot of fans who have spoken about it around the ground.MK has to have more control of who comes in, its a very serious situation at the club, and does not help things at the training ground with players I just hope from what MK has said the players bought in do a job for him, which I'm sure they will do,give him the time other Managers
got.
Get behind them more, instead of going silent at games like MK Dons, when our main support went silent throughout the second half. Get fully behind them and give MK a chance. Come on Boys, lets do this.

Good enough for 16th in league one. But is that a positive or a negative? Who is to blame or who deserves the praise for this?

That's a really important point- L1 is a difficult league and I'm not expecting stellar performances from new players for a few weeks- assuming we evolve our current game plan to create more opportunities in the final 3rd then it may be March before we really see the changes take proper effect.

We've had some good players over the years but I always remember a few on here reserved judgement on Toffolo when he first came here.....it takes time, as you say, to gel with team-mates.

Not that everyone on here will give them time and some will expect results from Accrington is 3 days!

The reality is though strangely that we are not cruising our way to being a mid table League 1 side as a lot of people said we would be.

We are on the very edge of a relegation battle. Defeat on Saturday will drag us below any comfort zone and then the relegation fears will be there for all to see. Some can see it already.

Yes we have stregthend up front and in midfield but these players I'm afraid will have to hit the ground running.

Difficult for them as it may be, they won't have 4 or 5 games to settle in as you would expect everyone to give them.

Whether you or anybody else likes it or not Kennedy has to find some wins from somewhere and the pressure is on, maybe or maybe not from the board, maybe as I have already said they may think we now have enough to stay up over a period of results.

Fans don't think like that though. Fans only live from game to game. Yes we have made some signings but the result is what people will be judging on Saturday as we are playing a team below us in the league, in the actual relegation zone.

This is a game we can draw and see an improved performance with the new players in the team, although it won't help our league position.

Defeat and the manner of the loss ie; the way we perform, lessons we've learned, formation and the way we set up to play and substitutions, will have a large bearing on the reaction from the fans.

The recruitment team have done probably as much as finances would allow in my view.

Its now down to MK. Can he coach and can he win some games?

The next four games, up to and including Portsmouth on Feb 18th, will determine his future. If we only pick up 2 or 3 points from the 12, it will be panic stations. 6 points from the 12 and he will be safe.

Don’t think we could have done much more for a January window. We’ll see in the next few games.

The recruitment team have done probably as much as finances would allow in my view.

Its now down to MK. Can he coach and can he win some games?

The next four games, up to and including Portsmouth on Feb 18th, will determine his future. If we only pick up 2 or 3 points from the 12, it will be panic stations. 6 points from the 12 and he will be safe.

But that isn't the case and the club will not see it like that either. The idea that 3 points less in the next 4 games is the difference between MK being sacked or not is, to quote the immortal Captain Mainwaring, the "realms of fantasy".

If we get 3 or 4 points from the next 4 games and remain 6 points above relegation then nothing has changed.

The transfer window should set us up for the next 18 games and won't be determined on the outcome of the next 4 games

But that isn't the case and the club will not see it like that either. The idea that 3 points less in the next 4 games is the difference between MK being sacked or not is, to quote the immortal Captain Mainwaring, the "realms of fantasy".

If we get 3 or 4 points from the next 4 games and remain 6 points above relegation then nothing has changed.

The transfer window should set us up for the next 18 games and won't be determined on the outcome of the next 4 games

This is a more broad question, but if there is little improvement but we stay up, where would that leave someone like you who is on a more glass half full type vibe than me about MK?

Because if I was to predict/forced to predict, that's what I think will happen! I don't seriously believe that rearranging the wingers, signing a kid to play up front and bringing in one midfielder could result in a sudden change of style or a drastically changed style of play or eye test improvement.

If having one decent midfielder could do that, I'd question how it didn't when Virtue was fit and playing. And for the issues with Sorensen/Sanders/TOB previously, and the issues with balance in midfield, I have no doubt they can all pass a football.

Just feels like a window to me where he has been backed and we have made a couple of promising signings but it's not the wholesale fix that would result in an exhilarating run up until May, so I think it might end up jury is still out?

Appreciate this is a hypothetical.

I’ve got an MOT on my car due shortly. All four tyres are bald. I always get some used but just legal ones so that I can pass the MOT test every year. Saves me a fortune in new tyres.

I’ve got an MOT on my car due shortly. All four tyres are bald. I always get some used but just legal ones so that I can pass the MOT test every year. Saves me a fortune in new tyres.

Think last year the board put a set of brand new all weathers on in January but the cost didn't really seem worth it in terms of performance, even though it passed fine.

I think Boyes had a good game when he started, and can be a good addition, and had good movement and comfortable pushing on for us, and should be given more game time, maybe LMF, also Bishop was good for me in Cambridge game , looked for return balls he did'nt get, IMO can still do a good job for us, barring injury (as someone will say), and from the way Montsma used to push on when playing CB getting 2/3 goals for us, could sit in front of back 3 or 4, Bishop made good adjustment for MA last season at RFB, so why not with Montsma.
Maybe a few combinations,we will see. It looks like some good additions and a bit more strength for us, I'm sure MK and DB can come good.Believe we have a game in hand, get the new guys bedded in and move on up 2/3 places. Be more positive and get behind them, and get behind them with more noise at away games that was missing at MK Dons. come on boys you can do this.

Still say we had a goalscorer in Kendall, but as Scotimp said have to wait for next season, shame.Just hope Ben and Jack can get the consistency back they've shown in past, sure it will come Mandroui starting to come into his own, and the 3 of them start to click we will see improvement and goals. Bishop can come good again with goals, as they say no players come bad overnight, just returned from injury, has to adjust to different players and will.I'm sure we will see big improvements.We do have good GK, defence, and backups, the midfield for me are proven, and a new addition can strenghten that and make a good link. Its not impossible. ( Remember also Bishop did very well for MA at right fullback, and proved he has the skill to get forward as Eardley did for DC.
Sure we will see massive improvements. Lets all get behind them, especially in the away game at Accrington Stanley, which will be very important for everyone.

Come on you Imps.Give MK the full support he deserves, as we all did for DC.
Positivity is the word, let him hear it and see it.

This is a more broad question, but if there is little improvement but we stay up, where would that leave someone like you who is on a more glass half full type vibe than me about MK?

Because if I was to predict/forced to predict, that's what I think will happen! I don't seriously believe that rearranging the wingers, signing a kid to play up front and bringing in one midfielder could result in a sudden change of style or a drastically changed style of play or eye test improvement.

If having one decent midfielder could do that, I'd question how it didn't when Virtue was fit and playing. And for the issues with Sorensen/Sanders/TOB previously, and the issues with balance in midfield, I have no doubt they can all pass a football.

Just feels like a window to me where he has been backed and we have made a couple of promising signings but it's not the wholesale fix that would result in an exhilarating run up until May, so I think it might end up jury is still out?

Appreciate this is a hypothetical.

Completely agree!

Thoughts after today?

On the premis that you can't judge these things until the new signings are seen on the pitch, the signs from today are that it was a good window.

Erhahon sounds a real find, if he keeps fitness and consistency he'll be a real asset in all respects. Clearly Jez George had nothing to do with it, what does he ever do?

I think we could even say Erhahon qualifies as more than a great find if he goes on. As a Scottish U21 he was already known and at least one other club tried to get him in before we got to have a chat.

The really impressive bit was commitment to stumping up the finances and convincing him of the vision to sign for a mid table (currently) L1 side.

I think we could even say Erhahon qualifies as more than a great find if he goes on. As a Scottish U21 he was already known and at least one other club tried to get him in before we got to have a chat.

The really impressive bit was commitment to stumping up the finances and convincing him of the vision to sign for a mid table (currently) L1 side.
…and apparently Jez taking the time and trouble to actually go up to Scotland & personally persuade him that Lincoln was where he should be. Ethan actually says that in his interview. Well done Jez 👏👏