The Frederic Guilbert Thread | Page 17 | Vital Football

The Frederic Guilbert Thread

Seems like he has just decided to sit on his contract and now he is making a spectacle of things. I'd assume the spectacle is to engineer a payout from the club and make us look like a mess. I lean toward the idea that he is a disruptive influence. Its all speculation though, we don't know what he has done, what the club has done, we know nothing, nobody is leaking rumours about him.

Sanson, I still have sympathy for him. Our midfield has had problems even before he walked in the door and we still have issues. His chance is probably gone now but I dont think he got a fair go of things and he even praised the club when speaking to Kamara. I think he has some petulance in him but overall I dont think he is a disruptor or would cause disharmony.
I think it would have been well worth while trying Sanson and Kamara together just to see if they could replicate what they did at Marseille. I know they didn’t play that much together as Kamara was breaking through prior to Sanson’s move to Villa but they were both from the Marseille conveyor belt of style/technique, and that style has always produced a top 6 Ligue 1 side.
I know this is the Freddie Guilbert thread but perhaps the Morgan and Freddie threads should be amalgamated to form the French players thrown under the bus thread.

Last edited:
Thought Guilbert played with passion and skill for us, his performance against Arsenal was one of the things which kept us up. Think this is Gerrard's doing.

I am assuming the guy is choosing to run down his contract, personally I'd have let him go for nothing. With that said I think we're missing a trick not having him as an option off the bench if we're chasing a game. Cash isnt much of an attacker, you can easily force him down tunnels or turn him backward or simply force him into his trademark cross. Cash is a very solid player but not much use when you need a bit of inventiveness.

Thought Guilbert played with passion and skill for us, his performance against Arsenal was one of the things which kept us up. Think this is Gerrard's doing.

Would like to see more of him as he's in the squad and especially now Cash is crocked for a little while. Seems more normal to replace an RB with an RB, even if Young did a job there last game. Give Guilbert his chance, and if he screws it then hook him. At least he's had a chance.

I too am likely to put this at Gerrard's door, though the boy has been out on loan and not taken his chances it has to be said. I wonder if he's the type to need "an arm around the shoulder" from the manager? Which he's unlikely to get on loan and probably felt more "cold shoulder" by being put in the U21's. My hope is he'll be so angry he'll channel that into a good performance just to prove his point.

How the manager deals with this and the Sanson/Marv situation is on my scorecared for him. It's not a good score atm

Would like to see more of him as he's in the squad and especially now Cash is crocked for a little while. Seems more normal to replace an RB with an RB, even if Young did a job there last game. Give Guilbert his chance, and if he screws it then hook him. At least he's had a chance.

I too am likely to put this at Gerrard's door, though the boy has been out on loan and not taken his chances it has to be said. I wonder if he's the type to need "an arm around the shoulder" from the manager? Which he's unlikely to get on loan and probably felt more "cold shoulder" by being put in the U21's. My hope is he'll be so angry he'll channel that into a good performance just to prove his point.

How the manager deals with this and the Sanson/Marv situation is on my scorecared for him. It's not a good score atm

Cant put all the blame on Gerrard for Freddies situation, Deano didn't take long to make his mind up and move him on either. He's not terrible, but dont personally think he's good enough for what we need. It sounds like we may well have offered to let him leave for free in the Summer but he turned the chance down as no club in France is prepared to pay him what he earns here.

Cant put all the blame on Gerrard for Freddies situation, Deano didn't take long to make his mind up and move him on either. He's not terrible, but dont personally think he's good enough for what we need. It sounds like we may well have offered to let him leave for free in the Summer but he turned the chance down as no club in France is prepared to pay him what he earns here.

It's a horrible situation for the club to have a squad member just collecting a paycheck. Have worked near enough to France to know sometimes they can be tetchy to deal with and if he's been an issue that long it should have been resolved by now. Pay them out if needed imo, especially if they refuse a move. That's the DoF's issue to deal with. I was surprised he was listed in the squad and now he is it is firmly the manager's problem to solve. (One of many too)

Would play him, you don't lose with 5 subs. He's shite, hook him and bin him. Gonna be hard for him to snipe on social media without getting stoned then. Job done, problem solved.

4th choice RB, really that many? Think we also have 4 choices for DM. Can't wonder the squad's unbalanced.