Boro vTic's | Page 4 | Vital Football

Boro vTic's

This season was always going to be difficult. Going into the campaign with the squad we have was folly.

Has Broadead got a clause in his loan agreement saying he isn't allowed to play longer than 70 minutes?

Says a lot that the most effective/productive players on the pitch were Asgaard, Broadead and Hughes. Imagine the first 2 in particular with the crsatieness and enthusiasm of Shinnie and Scully. But we do persist with Max and McClean. We had a free kick just after Thelo had scored and the commentator was shouting about the fact thathe was free on the back post again. Step up Max who didn't get it beyond the first man again and not only that we nearly conceded a break away goal but for Curtis Till. As has been stated above too many short corners, poor free kicks and throw ins.

I think we have the makings of a good team, unfortunately they are either injured or on the bench. Kolo needs to be even more brave with his selection.

Keep on scraping the barrel sunshine and I’ll tell it like it is. This is the worst side we’ve ever had at this level of football. Worse than 16/17 and that’s a fact. League One bound and most likely as the division’s bottom-placed club.

Max Power playing for a Championship side in 2022. Fucking disgraceful.

I get what you're saying in some respects. A lot of players not up to this level. But we're not down yet.

Did u watch the game SL?..trying to play...it was very trying, more missed placed passes & disjointed play that last 2 games. Zero new coach bounce, a so called defensive coach has made us look even worse at the back ( yes injuries ain't helping him), giving chances....scully n fletcher got a little over 10 mins, hardly chances imo. I'd wager a few bob on both max n jm both on team sheet for Thurs n both will still be shite.
I didn’t know you could watch it on Latics TV

Well I have lost all hope after that

Utterly pathetic defending all game, our squad isn't good enough and Toure's system is gonna make us leak goals at an alarming rate. We need to get January absolutely bang on or we are FUCKED

I lost my mind before the Sheffield game. After pathetic showing's from certain players against Millwall to see them start again in the following game is accepting bad standards.

Players didnt take their chances and soft goals given at the other end today. 1st goal Aasgaard was 50/50 fouled/tackled, wasn't given but he stays down far too long. They counter down the same side take a quick throw in and score from him still being up the pitch. Can't expect any favours from the ref to pause game and wait. Needs to get up couple seconds after going down, because after that helps no one to stay down.

2nd goal Lang and Tilt switch off. Ball in behind Lang and Tilt loses his man in the box.

After that chasing the game taking maximum risks and being opened up much more often due to players staying forward.

Right side was dreadful without the ball Nyambe/Power/Lang. Nyambe had no chance in some of those situations, but could of done better at times too. Power and Lang really were worthless without the ball today.

Positive, more goals should of been scored in these games. Players haven't shown enough quality to take them though. Before Kolo we were still conceding soft goals but creating nothing. Too many have become accustomed to sitting in and having lots of protection.

Still terrible at transitioning against the counter, partly due to the lack of mobility in central midfield. Middlesbrough played both Wingbacks very high, struggled to get anywhere near them when pressing. They had a lot of space and free time on the ball, they were setup well.

Had an excellent chance of staying up after 10 games. Sadly the following 10 binned this season, against sides in poor form over and over again. Vs sides that are in form, structured well and confident like the past three at best try to win one. Had chances in all three to go ahead, even then didnt show enough quality to take the 2nd and gave way another one quickly.

No excuses in the next 4, they're all beatable. Expect atleast two wins. Or no chance of doing anything this season.

Well I have lost all hope after that

Utterly pathetic defending all game, our squad isn't good enough and Toure's system is gonna make us leak goals at an alarming rate. We need to get January absolutely bang on or we are FUCKED
Who wants to come to a club that's going down 😔

Was Warren Joyce a good manager, near identical results and style of play to Richardson at this level?

This is just a ridiculous comparison

Joyce had better players and turned them all to total shit, with a run of 1 goal in 8 games.

Richardson had these totally uselelss players battling towards play off positions until October. We're now where we are expected to be.

Joyce had better players and turned them all to total shit, with a run of 1 goal in 8 games.

Richardson had these totally uselelss players battling towards play off positions until October. We're now where we are expected to be.
Jussi

Kellett, Buxton, Burn, Warnock

Jacobs, Power, Gomez

Grigg, Davies, Yanic

That was the team that got beat 3-2 by Rotherham on Boxing Day under Joyce. I'd say it's marginally and I mean very marginally better than what we've got now, mainly due to Yanic. Both defences are as shite as each other.

I personally was in favour of still giving Richardson some more time even if my support for him was wavering. Irrespective of what side of the Richardson in or out debate you fall on, i think its clear to say that the recruitment in the summer was way too slow. To only have our first signing in Nyambe confirmed 10 to 11 days before start of season was evidence of that. This slow recruitment has set us back and i think we are paying price for that now.

To me though whether you agreed with the decision to sack Richardson or not its done now and we have to get behind the new manager. Im surprised why people are judging Toure on the back of these last three games under the pretention of 'seeing an immediate new manager bounce'. To me the bounce might occur later in Toure's time in charge and by later i mean Hull game on 2nd January.

These first four games were always free hits. Not only were they all very tough games, its also worth noting that we have had torrid luck with injuries since sacking of Richardson, Kerr and Whatmough being injured are huge blows as our back up CBs are well off their quality. Having to play a 19 year old academy CB today as we only have two CBs fit is evidence of this.

I will judge Toure later on this season when he has had a transfer window for some much needed transfers and a good sample size of games to get his tactics across to the players. The likes of Hull, Cardiff and a few others in January and February who we play are way off quality wise sides like Sheffield United and Sunderland who we play in this tough run. Im happy to just get through this set of four games and to me Toure's reign really starts in that Hull game as that really is a must win game against a struggling side

A really disappointing result today. It could’ve been very different as we did create plenty opportunities and played some decent stuff when we were attacking. The fact is very few of the players we have are good enough for this level and we’re missing our first choice centre backs. Charlie Hughes did himself proud though and has a big future. We need 4-5 good signings in Jan to give us a chance.

I can’t fault the new manager so far because from what I can see he is trying to get the team playing football and is going out to try to win games. The problem is most of the players aren’t good enough.

As the saying goes ‘you can’t polish a turd bit you can throw glitter on it’. He’s made us look better but the fact is we’re still pretty shit at this level.

Jussi

Kellett, Buxton, Burn, Warnock

Jacobs, Power, Gomez

Grigg, Davies, Yanic

That was the team that got beat 3-2 by Rotherham on Boxing Day under Joyce. I'd say it's marginally and I mean very marginally better than what we've got now, mainly due to Yanic. Both defences are as shite as each other.

We had one of the best defenses in the Championship that season. The problem (particularly under Joyce) was scoring goals, and even then that was because Grigg and Powell were injured half the time.

I personally was in favour of still giving Richardson some more time even if my support for him was wavering. Irrespective of what side of the Richardson in or out debate you fall on, i think its clear to say that the recruitment in the summer was way too slow. To only have our first signing in Nyambe confirmed 10 to 11 days before start of season was evidence of that. This slow recruitment has set us back and i think we are paying price for that now.

To me though whether you agreed with the decision to sack Richardson or not its done now and we have to get behind the new manager. Im surprised why people are judging Toure on the back of these last three games under the pretention of 'seeing an immediate new manager bounce'. To me the bounce might occur later in Toure's time in charge and by later i mean Hull game on 2nd January.

These first four games were always free hits. Not only were they all very tough games, its also worth noting that we have had torrid luck with injuries since sacking of Richardson, Kerr and Whatmough being injured are huge blows as our back up CBs are well off their quality. Having to play a 19 year old academy CB today as we only have two CBs fit is evidence of this.

I will judge Toure later on this season when he has had a transfer window for some much needed transfers and a good sample size of games to get his tactics across to the players. The likes of Hull, Cardiff and a few others in January and February who we play are way off quality wise sides like Sheffield United and Sunderland who we play in this tough run. Im happy to just get through this set of four games and to me Toure's reign really starts in that Hull game as that really is a must win game against a struggling side

Interesting points.
I am struggling to see where the manager has come in and made a difference defensively. He should know that if you do not concede, you do not lose.

Today was a prime example .... playing a 19 year old centre back against Middlesborough without putting in an obvious plan to protect the centre backs.
Congratulations to the young lad, but there were other options.
Broadhead, Keane, Aasgaard and Lang all together showed next to no pressing or defensive qualities today (Aasgaard did ,however, stop a goal from a corner).
Surely it would have been better to move Nyambe to Centre back and insert Darikwa back as right back. ... and/or add a third central midfielder (Naylor or Shinnie).

As for the team being sh1t ... the team were just off the top 6 before the performances fell off a cliff.
The non payment of wages certainly hasn't helped ?
The summer transfer window ... who was responsible for that ?

Interesting points.
I am struggling to see where the manager has come in and made a difference defensively. He should know that if you do not concede, you do not lose.

Today was a prime example .... playing a 19 year old centre back against Middlesborough without putting in an obvious plan to protect the centre backs.
Broadhead, Keane, Aasgaard and Lang all together showed next to no pressing or defensive qualities today (Aasgaard did ,however, stop a goal from a corner).
Surely it would have been better to move Nyambe to Centre back and insert Darikwa back as right back. ... and/or add a third central midfielder (Naylor or Shinnie).

As for the team being sh1t ... the team were just off the top 6 before the performances fell off a cliff.

I hadnt actually contemplated potentially using Nyambe as a CB today. Something potentially worth considering as an emergency short term measure given the injuries in defence at present. Either way i think once Whatmough is back fit he needs a new CB partner due to Kerr's injury.

Get the feeling too that we might have to ship out a few players in January if we want to do more in the market than just use our two remaining loans. If Edmonds Green is recalled that will give us three loan spots and id be open to the idea of moving one of Pearce and Bennett on as if one of the positions we are targeting strengthening in January is a left back then we need to shift ones we already have. Get the feeling too that Macgennis might be moved on, Fletcher seems to be fancied more now under Toure and we have Wyke coming back too, so id see if we can find any takers for Macgennis in January

Before the start of the season i fancied Boro to be in the race for automatic promotion with Wilder, but for some reason it just didnt work out after they did so well last year. But since Carrick came in they've seriously sprung to life and shot up the league as one of the form teams. So it was always going to be a tough game and after watching them today you can see why their results have improved so much.

When we lost 4-1 to a managerless out of form Boro a couple of months ago under Richardson they weren't great, we were just diabolical. But today I was shocked at how much better they were since then. We had plenty wrong with us but we have to give credit to Boro their pass and move was superb and they had us chasing shadows. All of their goals came from movement and no matter how well you set up it is very difficult to play against - but we were absolutely guilty of making it a lot easier for them than it should've been. Boro probably didn't have many top individual players, it was all method drilled into them on the training pitch. It was a blueprint of what we need to aim at.

I thought after some of the costly mistakes passing out of the back against Sheff United we started less brave on the ball. But part of that was Boro also did an effective job denying us posession and closing down our passing lanes with their press. A few times in the first half we didn't have much choice but to go long but we were trying to play out where we could. We were struggling to get anything going and I think we lacked a bit of intensity and urgency but we still managed to carve out a couple of good openings we could've scored from.

But you could see quite early that the back 4 were very narrow, the wide midfielders were pushing high and slow to get back and Boro repeatedly targeted those areas. Every time they were on the transition their wing back on either side pulled into the large space we left on both flanks and have so much time and space to get a cross in, run with the ball and be one on one with the isolated full backs. This killed us all game and Toure and his coaching staff never addressed it. I give them a lot of benefit of the doubt as they inherited a team with a lot of work needed - but that i think that is on them. I understand him wanting to be positive and make the opposition worry about us rather than us worrying about them but when the opposition find a gaping hole to exploit like they did you can't leave it open and have to adapt or you'll be punished like we were.

The first goal was very soft, everyone turned off at a throwin and Boro too easily scored. We were caught asleep and they found so much time and space with so little pressure. We were slack defending throw ins before Toure arrived and clearly it still is an issue as it gave them a goal out of nothing and gave us a mountain to climb. Up until that it could still have gone either way but we gifted them a lead.

At the start of the second half Boro grew in confidence and our midfield was barely in the game and they kept exploiting the space out wide. We had the odd moment here and there but another bad defensive lapse from Lang gave them an opening in for a second and an attempted interception from Hughes landed perfectly to put them in for a third. They were on top but 3-0 was harsh and the manner of the goals was frustrating.

Aasgaard quickly pulled one back and we really started to find the urgency to push on at them and threw a bit of caution to the wind. We managed to really put some good pressure on them and create some good openings but too often the final ball was lacking. I think we had Boro rocking a bit but they were still lightening quick on the transition and smart on and off the ball to hit us on counters. It seemed like we were more likely to make it 3-2 and set up a manic end of the game but they broke as we pushed everyone forward and made it 4-1. Before Keane missed a sitter to make it 4-2.

I always feel if you're going to lose at least go down swinging and I think we did, I don't think we ever rolled over and died or gave up. In that last 30 minutes I think we'd done enough to say that 3-1 was flattering to Boro before they sealed it with an undeserved 4th. But the first 60 minutes we just didn't do enough.

Boro were good and made it very hard for us, but defensively as a team we were very poor - the midfield were so slow on the defensive transition and pretty much left the back 4 against Boro on their own all game. But considering the attacking mids were caught out up field we didn't get enough threat out of them either. The midfield collectively just didnt do enough offensively or defensively over 90 mins and while the coaching staff can't stop players individually making mistakes on the field I think they didn't react to the warning signs.

The lapses in defensive concentration cost us the first 2 goals which should've been avoidable. The third goal they got a bit lucky and the 4th we knowingly over stretched ourselves to try and get a goal. Boro played well and deserved their win but if we didn't gift them the first 2 then who knows what happens. The stats show we had more shots and corners than them but they were clinical when they found the openings while our finish and final ball wasn't.

Toure was brave in his team selection, it was very positive but it unfortunately didn't work out. Injuries didn't help but I don't think we can blame the lapses on that. He used all his subs again and finally gave Scully a chance and Fletcher got on again which was good to see. He's clearly giving everyone a fair chance to show what they've got but I think he is finding we need a lot more work on the training ground and for what he wants some of them aren't going to be good enough.

I've seen some comments saying it's no different or better under Toure and I'd disagree. Previously we were set up not to lose but we werent good enough defensively to keep teams out so sacrificed all attack for no benefit. Under Toure we are still struggling defensively but we are having a go at teams and I think while we clearly need to cut out the mistakes and improve we probably had more shots today than we had in the handful of games in our losing run against much weaker opposition before Toure arrived. 1 point from our first 3 is not good but these 3 games were all tough ones you'd probably not bank on getting anything from. These aren't the games that'll decide our fate, it's the 6 pointers coming up. We are still not cut adrift and one good day of results could change everything. We've got January a few days away and winnable games on the horizon. But we've got to learn from from games like today and ensure we cut out these defensive lapses.

Individually:

Jones - made a few good saves, had no chance with any of the goals. Defence didn't protect him today.

Nyambe - he was left completely isolated defensively with nearly everything coming down his side. Don't think he defensively did too much wrong individually and tried to get forward later in the game but didn't offer any threat. I think he's probably more suited to be a centre back than a full back. If Whatmough not fit in coming games might be a good option to consider.

Hughes - had some good and bad moments, tough first game playing against so much movement.

Tilt - made some vital recoveries to prevent goals but also had quite a few mistakes. Akpom got away from him for his goals with well timed runs and turn of pace, not sure if he could've done better. Him and Hughes had very little protection.

McClean - made some important defensive contributions and a couple of decent balls into the box. But he struggled at times, like the rest of defence often left unprotected.

Cousins - battled but ultimately struggled to offer much protection defensively or get on the ball and link up play much.

Power - superb cross for the goal, at the end when we were chasing he was pushing to try and make things happen down the right but too often his final ball was poor. Like Cousins struggled in the middle of the park to get involved enough when you need someone getting stuck in or pulling the strings.

Aasgaard - superb finish for his goal but other than that I thought he had a bad day. Defensively poor and left McClean open all game and struggled to offer much going forward. He's far better than he showed but it's not the first time he's struggled starting.

Lang - showed some good moments going forward at times but defensively he was very poor. Left Nyambe totally exposed all game and didn't track runners. Second goal in particular and possibly a bit for the third he was badly caught out.

Keane - should've scored in injury time after cleverly putting himself through on goal but other than that he didn't really see much of the ball.

Broadhead - he was involved in 2 of our best bits of play in the first half where he dropped deeper got the ball to his feet facing goal where he could show his quality but he isn't strong enough to hold the ball with his back to goal. Even if you're not looking to go long you still need a bit of a physical presence up front to hold the ball and give the midfield a chance to join attacks. I've said it all season he's not a lone striker and will cause other teams havoc if we play him in attacking mid.

Naylor - came on made a couple of decent challenges.

Shinnie - was positive as you'd expect but didn't see enough of the ball to really make much of an impact.

Darikwa - not on long but put in a couple of decent crosses.

Scully - tried to run at players and get balls in, still not enough of him to say too much.

Fletcher - came in very late, nice bit of give and go to get a header on goal but not on long enough to really judge.

Interesting points.

Toure in an interview was talking about how he was happy to throw Hughes in.

I've not seen enough of him to really say but from a fans perspective I'd have preferred a senior player like Naylor or Nyambe in as both have played there in the past.

I actually think Nyambe is a potentially a far centre half than he is a right back based on his attributes.

Joyce inherited a team that was shit and in the bottom 3 and no one was playing well before he came in.

Richardson rode momentum from last season and then wheels fell off. We barely had a shot on goal in most games in his final run.

Both played same style and got near identical results at this level. So if one was a bad manager the other can't be a good one just because we personally like one of them.