The Official AFC Wimbledon Match Thread (Sponsored by the Ageing Process "for all your "nearly forgot there was a game tonight" needs") | Page 6 | Vital Football

The Official AFC Wimbledon Match Thread (Sponsored by the Ageing Process "for all your "nearly forgot there was a game tonight" needs")

Saw the highlights this morning and listened to Radio Kent. Seemed like Wimbledon had slightly the better of the play and chances, but ultimately, both teams up until the last few minutes only had one nailed on chance each with Walker spurning a great one on one and one of their lads doing likewise. Our new keeper looked sound from what I saw/heard without having a lot to do.

Deserved the win in the end by the looks of it as we took our two good late chances and took them well and it seems that we may have been unlucky with another Mandron goal being ruled out at late notice. Strangely on the highlights I saw they chose to show several Dons half chances, but not our disallowed goal, so would be interested to hear more about it.

The biggest positive is that we came away with the result with a number of changes, so a good test for our small and still slightly sketchy squad. Harris seems to be getting us organised and drilled and the goals are now coming. With a couple or three more decent signings and hopefully a positive feelgood factor of a new co-chairman to go with our fairly new manager, things may start to look up and this can only reflect in more positive and bigger home crowds.

The training ground will be absolutely buzzing today.
I bet the atmosphere and team banter is great.
A little light training and assessment of knocks only.
Probably tomorrow off then full training on Friday to prepare for Tranmere tactically.
Hopefully O’keefe might feature.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/vid...mbledon-0-2-gillingham-carabao-cup-highlights

Highlights here

Looks like Wombles two best chances were clear fouls on our players and not sure how the ref didn't blow for the challenge on Green before our first but glad he didn't

Two really well taken goals but a poor effort from Walker when clean through

Thanks for the link THS. I still haven`t seen us play yet but gleaned enough from the highlights to suggest we are a lot more entertaining and incisive than last season. Looking forward very much to watching the Blues at Tranmere.

Thanks for the link THS. I still haven`t seen us play yet but gleaned enough from the highlights to suggest we are a lot more entertaining and incisive than last season. Looking forward very much to watching the Blues at Tranmere.
I've only seen the opening day, we weren't great but I was pleased that the midfield actually tried to put their foot on the ball. Williams looks like such a good signing, I think we would have stayed up had we got him over the line last season.

A lot of positive signs for me (y)

The best thing for we was we were expecting a slow start with virtually a new team and still being a couple short on numbers, but have won two out of three.
I like how they all work together and move. The fullbacks, especially Wright, seem competent both defensively and going forward. Particularly when you have Williams and O’Keefe/Jeffries in the middle. It means we can stick four at the back but still give the fullbacks the freedom to move forwards.

I notice Green and Kashket drifting into the middle and acting more as attacking midfielders when the fullbacks move up. From my memory isn’t that how the second goal was scored? Mandron seems to be on the edge of the box quite a bit too.

Some great awareness of each other already.

Is the second round draw regional or could we end up anywhere if drawn away?

Draw tonight, and still regionalised according to this - https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/carabao-cup-second-round-draw-27701091

Possible opponents - Cambridge, Charlton, Colchester, Crawley, Exeter, Forest Green, MK Dons, Newport, Norwich, Oxford, Portsmouth, Stevenage, Walsall, Wycombe (already through)

Winners of Coventry v Bristol City and Plymouth v Peterborough

And the southern teams that join in the 2nd round: Aston Villa (??), Bournemouth, Brentford, Brighton, Crystal Palace, Fulham, Leicester (??), Nottingham Forest (??), Southampton, Watford, Wolves (??)

Not sure where the north/south cut-off is, so don't know whether Villa, Leicester, Forest or Wolves are north or south

Last edited:
Draw is tonight. Think it’s still regional. EPL teams with no European commitments enter now.
I have been known to be wrong

Here’s the teams in the southern section Rd2

SOUTH
  1. AFC Bournemouth
  2. Brentford
  3. Brighton & Hove Albion
  4. Cambridge United
  5. Charlton Athletic
  6. Colchester United
  7. Crawley Town
  8. Crystal Palace
  9. Exeter City
  10. Forest Green Rovers
  11. Fulham
  12. Gillingham
  13. Milton Keynes Dons
  14. Newport County
  15. Norwich City
  16. Oxford United
  17. Portsmouth
  18. Southampton
  19. Stevenage
  20. Walsall
  21. Watford
  22. Wycombe Wanderers
  23. Coventry City or Bristol City
  24. Plymouth Argyle or Peterborough Unite

Here’s the teams in the southern section Rd2

SOUTH
  1. AFC Bournemouth
  2. Brentford
  3. Brighton & Hove Albion
  4. Cambridge United
  5. Charlton Athletic
  6. Colchester United
  7. Crawley Town
  8. Crystal Palace
  9. Exeter City
  10. Forest Green Rovers
  11. Fulham
  12. Gillingham
  13. Milton Keynes Dons
  14. Newport County
  15. Norwich City
  16. Oxford United
  17. Portsmouth
  18. Southampton
  19. Stevenage
  20. Walsall
  21. Watford
  22. Wycombe Wanderers
  23. Coventry City or Bristol City
  24. Plymouth Argyle or Peterborough Unite
Best draw home to CP or Fulham (iirc we have a decent record against Fulham)?

Worst draw away to Plymouth?