Scally to stand down | Page 4 | Vital Football

Scally to stand down

Apparently, he knows Paul Fisher, went to school with him and is wondering if he will be offered a place on the board.

That comment about being offered a place on the board seemed tongue in cheek to me. Bloody well hope so anyway.

Interesting to see so many "what now?" questions in the thread, questioning how much involvement he'll have.

Can't help but think we're missing the point entirely here.

Our chairman has resigned because of the torrent of verbal abuse he's been subjected to. This is a hugely embarrassing day for our football club and should throw into question what our priorities are.

Yes, there are ALWAYS going to be a bunch of small minded idiots who claim to be fans. But you can only ignore so much. I can fully sympathise with how he must feel.

I've been on the terraces, I've heard the vile chanting. These idiots should be banned from football. That's not an attack on freedom speech - it's about the way that discourse is handled. Family game? I wouldn't dream of taking my kids to watch the Gills away from home because of the disgusting language they'd be subjected to.

I, for one, am sad to see him go after all he's done for the club. I feel embarrassed to be a Gills fan today. It's a game, for heaven's sake.

Fully support every word you have said,not once have I condemned Scallywag as I remember what a state we were in when he took over,
We have had some amazing times under Paul,not going through them all,but some supporters have short memories,take that back they are not supporters just mindless morons mostly young kids still in nappies.
Personally I doubt we will see Scallywag back his health must be serious concern.

When Scally and others describe the treatment he has endured, I would normally agree and sympathise, if I had not been following events that have played out over the many years around this man.

Generally, the argument is always going to be "how much of it has been self inflicted?" and then it depends on what you believe, as we only have limited information.

During his tenure, firstly his offer to liquidators involved having to write off part or all of the creditors debts so you would sympathise with them. It may have caused businesses to fail and their proprietors to suffer ill health. All legal and nothing unusual in the case of a liquidation, of course.

Since then, one or two Banks have needed to write off large debts so I doubt whether the club will be able to obtain any unsecured finance or be allowed an unsecured overdraft any time in the future. Again, all legal but detrimentally affects third parties.

According to some of the comments on Kent Online, and I have heard this many times before from lots of sources, most local firms will not do work for the club, having either not been paid or having to wait for their money beyond the agreed period.

The fans effectively financed the Medway stand and the conference facilities with the share issue and yet that has barely been mentioned by him since and the shares do not provide any perks for fans, which would have been a nice touch.

He cant be straight with a club legend like Steve Lovell and has Evans in the crowd well before the official change in management. He insists on appointing Evans against the opinion of a large amount of us at the time and then cries crocodile tears as if no one could have predicted how it would all end, when his previous history showed it was inevitable.

Although nobody deserves filthy abuse, I just wonder whether he ever contemplates how he has treated other people before he starts to wallow in his own self pity? I suspect he sees it as just "business" but you often reap what you sow.

Last edited:
He won’t be back.
Anyone who is retired or retired early will know exactly what I mean.
Once he’s got used to the quiet life, he’ll ask himself why on earth he put up with all that crap for years.
He’s not short of a couple of bob so will now start to enjoy the years he has left.
I’d expect new owners are on the horizon.
Good or bad?
Only time will tell.

I hope you're wrong but fear you may be right.

The saddos that have taunted him over the past few years can't even take the announcement at face value and continue spouting their nonsense. If PDPS stays out of the picture for a while and things improve on the pitch one would hope that everyone (even the SoB) will get behind the team again.

This season will be 'make-or-break'. If the team do well and the atmosphere off the pitch settles down then potential new owners may make themselves known. The alternative doesn't bare thinking about!

I wonder how "hands -off" you can really be when you own the business.

Surely you would be wondering about finances all the time, regardless?

When Scally and others describe the treatment he has endured, I would normally agree and sympathise, if I had not been following events that have played out over the many years around this man.

Generally, the argument is always going to be "how much of it has been self inflicted?" and then it depends on what you believe, as we only have limited information.

During his tenure, firstly his offer to liquidators involved having to write off part or all of the creditors debts so you would sympathise with them. It may have caused businesses to fail and their proprietors to suffer ill health. All legal and nothing unusual in the case of a liquidation, of course.

Since then, one or two Banks have needed to write off large debts so I doubt whether the club will be able to obtain any unsecured finance or be allowed an unsecured overdraft any time in the future. Again, all legal but detrimentally affects third parties.

According to some of the comments on Kent Online, and I have heard this many times before from lots of sources, most local firms will not do work for the club, having either not been paid or having to wait for their money beyond the agreed period.

The fans effectively financed the Medway stand and the conference facilities with the share issue and yet that has barely been mentioned by him since and the shares do not provide any perks for fans, which would have been a nice touch.

He cant be straight with a club legend like Steve Lovell and has Evans in the crowd well before the official change in management. He insists on appointing Evans against the opinion of a large amount of us at the time and then cries crocodile tears as if no one could have predicted how it would all end, when his previous history showed it was inevitable.

Although nobody deserves filthy abuse, I just wonder whether he ever contemplates how he has treated other people before he starts to wallow in his own self pity? I suspect he sees it as just "business" but you often reap what you sow.

👎

That comment about being offered a place on the board seemed tongue in cheek to me. Bloody well hope so anyway.
Just read Perry's shite on Kentonline.
Prize pr#ck. Glorying in his "victory" in personally driving PS out, he believes, in his tiny mind.

Deluded prat who imagines he is important and laughably thinks he knows what he is talking about.

One can want PS to move on and justifiably have criticisms of his style and actions but we don't need to resort to peurile abuse from "no marks" like him.

Sadly this may embolden the haters and good luck to anyone who takes over and fails to perform miracles for these people. How long before the next person cops abuse?

Just read Perry's shite on Kentonline.
Prize pr#ck. Glorying in his "victory" in personally driving PS out, he believes, in his tiny mind.

Deluded prat who imagines he is important and laughably thinks he knows what he is talking about.

One can want PS to move on and justifiably have criticisms of his style and actions but we don't need to resort to peurile abuse from "no marks" like him.

Sadly this may embolden the haters and good luck to anyone who takes over and fails to perform miracles for these people. How long before the next person cops abuse?
What a horrible little man. Sad.

I know football supporters can be a parochial bunch but it’s worth pointing out a few facts about the Scally era to date.

He's been in charge for 27 seasons. This is his 28th. We have spent 5 seasons in tier 4, 17 seasons in tier 3 and 5 seasons in tier 2. We have finished as high as 11th in tier 2 and the lowest we’ve finished is 8th in tier 4. In that time we have appeared at the old Wembley twice and the new Wembley once. We have been promoted 4 times and relegated 4 times. We have reached the quarter finals of the FA Cup. The ground is now a serviceable all seater stadium, something that could never have been claimed for the old ground.

In that time we have never been in serious financial difficulty. We have not been in administration since Scally took us out of administration. We have never had a winding up petition from HMRC. Despite all the talk about the club being a poor employer I am only aware of one successful claim against the club and that was the McCammon case where the club lost on a procedural issue.

There are clubs that have had a history of insolvency events.
Aldershot 1990, 1992
Bournemouth 1997, 2008
Bradford City 2002, 2004
Crawley Town 1999, 2006
Darlington, 1997, 2003, 2009
Exeter City 1994, 2003
Halifax Town 1987, 1999, 2002, 2004
Luton Town 1999, 2003, 2007
Rotherham Utd 1987, 2006, 2008
Scarborough 1999, 2003
Swanse City 1985, 2003
Swindon Town 2000, 2003
Wolves 1982, 1986

This was just up to 2010 (the date of the report I took this info from). Since then there have been the well recorded issues at Derby, Bury, Bolton, Swindon (again) and Southend to name but a few.

Over the same period many well known clubs and those of an equal or higher stature than the Gills have spent lengthy periods out of the League including Notts County, Wrexham, Oxford United, Luton Town, Torquay United, York City, Colchester, Tranmere, Carlisle and now Southend. There are probably more. Stockport, York and Torquay have been down as far as the 6th tier of the pyramid.

In the wider football community it’s not a surprise that Scally is not so badly thought of as by a minority of our support base. Given our historically low fan base, I think his record has been more than decent.

I wonder how "hands -off" you can really be when you own the business.

Surely you would be wondering about finances all the time, regardless?

I doubt whether he has to worry about his own finances and he'll still be getting an income from the club so it's more a matter of how important running Gillingham FC is to him in the whole scheme of things.

He hasn't appointed Paul Fisher overnight. It's now clear why he hasn't been in the spotlight for a couple of months and why Neil Harris has been doing the PR stuff. One would hope that PF has the abilities to run the club successfully and captain the ship for as long as is needed.

After what PDPS has been through with his oldest, closest friend he's probably become acutely aware of his own mortality and needs time to establish his priorities in life. A lot of people (not just 'businessmen' ) don't do this and then drop dead - never knowing what pleasures outside of work there are in life.

With luck the team will do well this year, the SoB will crawl back under their stones and the prospect of owning GFC will become desirable. Whether that owner continues to be PDPS or a.n other remains to be seen.

The timing is strange, you don’t expect the chairman of a football club to take a prolonged break 2 games into the new season, so I suspect that there is something else going on behind the scenes.

Its strange that Perry and his minions don’t seem to have had a whiff of this from their “sources” so people must have been playing their cards very close to their chest as the club usually leaks like a sieve.

I’ve never agreed with the obsession over Scallys personal life and absolutely have no time for the personal abuse he has received.

it’s sad that people are gloating over this, whilst simultaneously trying to look for some hidden shenanigans on Scallys part.

Some are already turning on Fisher, he’s not been in the job 24 hours and he’s already accused of being a Scally puppet or yes man.

Scally and the Club are going to get a lot of interest from potential buyers now, nothing screams you’re ready to sell than publicly saying that you are taking an extended break to consider whether you want to be involved with the club.

Our chairman has resigned because of the torrent of verbal abuse he's been subjected to.
>edited<
I've been on the terraces, I've heard the vile chanting. These idiots should be banned from football. That's not an attack on freedom speech - it's about the way that discourse is handled. Family game?
I wouldn't dream of taking my kids to watch the Gills away from home because of the disgusting language they'd be subjected to.

I, for one, am sad to see him go after all he's done for the club. I feel embarrassed to be a Gills fan today. It's a game, for heaven's sake.
What is/was this "vile chanting" against Scally ?
I've been to plenty of Away games and all I've heard is:
"We want Scally out...etc".

While I've never thought that helpful to the players, not sure that counts as "vile".

As for "disgusting language"... sure, there's plenty of swearing....
But is it worse Away than Home ?
Or is it just that Away, the swearers are alongside the non-swearers ?

Last edited:
The timing is strange, you don’t expect the chairman of a football club to take a prolonged break 2 games into the new season, so I suspect that there is something else going on behind the scenes ............

It's probably something that in an ideal world would have been announced during the close season but it won't have been an overnight decision so the final details may have taken longer to tie up. It certainly explains why PDPS has been so quiet of late.

My hope is that we won't hear much from Mr Fisher either and that the team do all the talking on the pitch.

COYG

The timing is strange, you don’t expect the chairman of a football club to take a prolonged break 2 games into the new season, so I suspect that there is something else going on behind the scenes.

The decision was probably made at the end of last season / during the break, but in order to have a smooth transition of power, Paul Fisher has been following Scally around for the last month or two while the later goes through the finer points of what has been going on.

While I've never thought that helpful to the players, not sure that counts as "vile".

Annoys me that I have to repeat it - "Scally is a paedophile" being one that I had to explain to my 10 year old at Ipswich.

I mean, come on ffs

One small good part is that those still piling on the hatred are in a small minority.

There are plenty more fans on KoL, Twitter. Facebook etc that are a lot more supportive and realistic about the Scally era, and wishing him well. And Freds post (and others) are attracting hundreds of 👎 whilst the others are being roundly supported. So Gills fans aren’t all bad.

And those piling on the abuse are the same posters on all platforms regurgitating the same filth. Probably all off the infamous forum all spurred on by him despite him continually denying any involvement.

'Scally, Scally your a C#£&' sung home and away as has 'F#$¥ off Scally you're killing our club'. Add to that the paedophile nonsense and the dipstick who chose to confront him with offensive abuse in the stands and I would say he has had more than his fair share, home or away.

Last edited: