Chancellor and Health Secretary (n/g) | Page 9 | Vital Football

Chancellor and Health Secretary (n/g)

I work in local government, there's a good number of councillors that genuinely care, work hard and want to do the best for their area and constituents, more power to them in a sector that is chronically underfunded and understaffed after years of austerity cuts and trying to implement government edicts.

However, there are also a significant number of politicians even at our level who have little interest in anything other than boosting their ego or for the perceived spot in the limelight. I'll let you guess which party the vast, vast majority of these represent.
Totally agree with all of that.
My 3 I've never seen or heard of in 22 years (yes, I know I could hunt them down if determined). Haven't heard of a single thing they've done and I do keep up with local news and the local Reader's Gazette.

All 3 appear to be stereotypes. Again, no prizes for guessing which party.

For a business I had to have a licensing meeting that was always going to be formality.

3 councillors were there, 2 were really nice guys who seemed to care and were personable. The 3rd , oh my god, what a waste of space. She thought she was really clever which was doubly problematic cause she was one of the most stupid people I've ever met.

I had to argue with her as she was claiming to me that no-one can sell alcohol online and that none of the big retailers do it. She was so obnoxious about it and kept cutting me off mid sentence. In the end the other 2 councillors told her I was right and moved the conversation on.

She's notorious in related business circles for being a complete and utter mug. Even the licensing officer decided to forgo with professionalism whilst talking about her with me.

Aren't all civil servants, public sector workers, police and military etc paid by the tax payer lol.
They also pay tax so pay themselves if you want to look at it like that. I understand you used to work in Pharmaceuticals? If so, was I paying your wages every time I popped a paracetamol? We all pay each other, it's what makes the world go round.
By the way, are you one of those people that stand I'm front of coppers yelling "I pay your wages mate"? 😉

They also pay tax so pay themselves if you want to look at it like that. I understand you used to work in Pharmaceuticals? If so, was I paying your wages every time I popped a paracetamol? We all pay each other, it's what makes the world go round.
By the way, are you one of those people that stand I'm front of coppers yelling "I pay your wages mate"? 😉

That was my point - anyone paid by a government can be argued as ‘working for us’ or being paid for by taxpayers - not just politicians.

Also as you say anyone buying a product or paying into something could argue that they are paying somebodys wages.

No, i never have been somebody to stand in front of anybody (or even behind their backs) and say, I pay your wages.

There are very many good, decent and honest people working in politics at every level and across every party. There are those who are there to only serve to progress their own ego but I would say they are the minority. (And the same goes for the public sector too, although no one’s ever gone on a ego trip about being a nurse or a teacher etc).

In regards to politics don’t think for a minute that they’re all the same, it plays directly in to the hands of those in power (who don’t want you to remove them). It is directly how you become disenfranchised whilst the people who behave the worst stay in power.

That was my point - anyone paid by a government can be argued as ‘working for us’ or being paid for by taxpayers - not just politicians.

Also as you say anyone buying a product or paying into something could argue that they are paying somebodys wages.

No, i never have been somebody to stand in front of anybody (or even behind their backs) and say, I pay your wages.
Related to this I resent that when I buy things I'm paying for the Corporate types that get freebies to go to the likes of Wimbledon. To add salt to the wound they can't be bothered to watch most of it, leaving empty seats whilst real fans have to sit on the grass banks outside.

Aaaaargh!

Rant over.

The biggest problem is the system. We very much have a two party system with whips to make sure the members tow the line.That works well if the leader is sailing in the right direction. If not well good politicians basically are almost powerless. For years now good politicians have been warning about Boris Johnson.Those politicians included Tories like Rory Stewart and many others. But nobody had the power to stop him .Our system dictates he is right regardless of the rights and wrongs.It basically shows how powerful these party machines are .The trouble is the next Tory leader could be worse.
The fact is very few of us have any power to stop that happening.

Last edited:

It wouldn’t hurt to let you know that you are paying my pension 😉

There are very many good, decent and honest people working in politics at every level and across every party. There are those who are there to only serve to progress their own ego but I would say they are the minority. (And the same goes for the public sector too, although no one’s ever gone on a ego trip about being a nurse or a teacher etc).

In regards to politics don’t think for a minute that they’re all the same, it plays directly in to the hands of those in power (who don’t want you to remove them). It is directly how you become disenfranchised whilst the people who behave the worst stay in power.

I suppose the problem is that there are people who are decent and honest with whom we have fundamental disagreements, and there are people who are rotten and dishonest who line up on our side of the arguments. And, of course, the problem is compounded by the fact that we, ourselves, are not entirely and always decent and honest in our judgements of others.

The only reason there aren't loads of people in teaching and nursing who are on ego trips is because they see the limits and become administrators and union reps. Note, just like politicians, not all administrators or union reps are on ego trips, but that's where the teachers, nurses, and others who are tend to go.

I don't think all politicians are the same, but reading the sanctimonious bare-faced bullshittery in the resigning/staying on/can I have my job back letters that have been appearing in the papers in the last couple of days, I'm inclined to think that politics as presently constituted, attracts and rewards the worst types and the worst type of behaviour.

I suppose the problem is that there are people who are decent and honest with whom we have fundamental disagreements, and there are people who are rotten and dishonest who line up on our side of the arguments. And, of course, the problem is compounded by the fact that we, ourselves, are not entirely and always decent and honest in our judgements of others.

The only reason there aren't loads of people in teaching and nursing who are on ego trips is because they see the limits and become administrators and union reps. Note, just like politicians, not all administrators or union reps are on ego trips, but that's where the teachers, nurses, and others who are tend to go.

I don't think all politicians are the same, but reading the sanctimonious bare-faced bullshittery in the resigning/staying on/can I have my job back letters that have been appearing in the papers in the last couple of days, I'm inclined to think that politics as presently constituted, attracts and rewards the worst types and the worst type of behaviour.

Of course. But the reason they’re not teachers or nurses is frankly because the pay is rubbish for the amount of effort you have to put in.

The system does benefit the lazy and privileged as you’ve said (and as we’ve seen with our outgoing Prime Minister).

My point was more that it’s also lazy to declare all politicians the same. And it’s lazy to let the lazy ones govern too.

Last edited:

Sorry, the last bit was a mischievous joke 😉

Btw, what does 40 new hospitals mean?

I thought it meant 40 new hospitals but apparently it doesn't.

Can anyone enlighten me?