Leeds United-Manchester City Premier League Post Match Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

Leeds United-Manchester City Premier League Post Match Thread

19:48
'We can’t be down from this result'
Leeds 0-4 Man City

Leeds defender Luke Ayling to Sky Sports: "I thought we did really well for long spells of the game. We had a game plan and stuck to it.

"Set-pieces have been our downfall this season.

"We stuck to our game plan for the first 20 minutes. We had chances, caught them on the counter. But the set-piece goal was poor from us.

"It’s hard at 1-0 because you’re chasing. And then we got done from another set-piece.

"It felt like our press was good and we were forcing them into things they don’t usually do.

"We’re playing against probably the best team in the world so it was always going to be tough.

"We’ve got to score some goals and carve some results out. A lot of teams lose to City. We were unbeaten in five and have been playing well. We can’t be down from this result. We played well and were brave on the ball."

Manchester Evening News
Player Ratings

Ederson 6, Cancelo 6, Dias 5, Laporte 8, Ake*6, Rodrigo***7, Gundogan (C) 6, Grealish 4, Jesus 7, Foden***8, Sterling 8

SUBS |Zinchenko*, Bernardo**(too late to mark), Fernandinho***(too late to mark)

Last edited:
19:50
Leeds 0-4 Man City

Gabriel Jesus has scored in three consecutive appearances for Manchester City for the first time since November 2020.

His six goals in those three games is as many as he had in his previous 31.

19:54
'Every game feels like a final'
FT: Leeds 0-4 Man City

Manchester City midfielder Ilkay Gundogan, speaking to BBC Match of the Day: "Especially the second half was really good. We tried to keep the ball as much as possible. The intensity with which they started was quite high, which is why the first goal helped us. It was nothing that we didn’t expect. We are very happy about the result.

"It was my first time playing here. The crowd is incredible. It’s a historic, big club. We expected that from the crowd. Even after the final whistle the atmosphere was incredible. It’s always tough to play against this side, because they have always played with that intensity and sharpness. Scoring the first goal was obviously a big advantage.

"The pressure is always on from this point of the season. It doesn’t – or shouldn’t – really make a big difference if we play first or [Liverpool] play first, but it doesn’t look likely that either team is going to slip before the end of the season.

"Every game feels like a final right now and every game has its own difficulties. We need to be ready for the challenge."

19:57
'I love this team'
Leeds 0-4 Man City

Leeds boss Jesse Marsch to BBC Sport: "Our hearts and minds are with Stuart Dallas right now. It looks like a knee injury that’s not great. We hope he's OK.

"The result was worse than we hoped but the performance was better.

"We played with confidence. It didn't feel like a 4-0 match.

"We had momentum and controlled their movements. It's disappointing to lose so big but even the fans and they way they responded after the game is a reflection of what the performance was.

"I wasn’t being sarcastic when I said it was the best team against the best club. I’ve never seen supporters who love their club so deeply. I feel it on the streets, in the stadium. We’re doing everything we can to make sure we can stay in this league. We’re in for a fight but we’re up for it."

On whether Liam Cooper's injury changed things: "It did a little bit but we were able to adjust quickly. Not ideal to lose your captain just before a game like this. We’re hoping he’ll be back for next weekend. It was a weird thing with his knee.

"I love this team. I love these guys. They give everything every day. That makes me optimistic about our chances. We’ve tried to focus on ourselves and we’ve been able to manage.

"You see the quality they have. They don’t need too many chances to make you pay."

I do hope that Premier League fine Leeds United for the disgraceful fans and identify and ban all those who threw missiles onto the pitch and at the Players

Leeds United 0 Manchester City 4
City Goals - Rodri 13' Ake 54' G Jesus 78' Fernie 90+3'
City Assists - Foden 13' 78' Dias 54'

FT Stats
Possession
Leeds 39.9% City 60.1%
Corners
Leeds 3 City 6
Offsides
Leeds 3 City 1
Fouls
Leeds 13 City 3
Cards
Leeds 1 Y (Y Marsch) City 2 Y (Grealish, Cancelo)
On Target
Leeds 2 City 6
Woodwork
Leeds 0 City 0
Off Target
Leeds 5 City 13 (PL site has 7 Leeds shots, City 19 - City OS Leeds 1 shot City 6)

Attendance: 35,771

Compiled from Premier League and City Official Site match day threads

https://www.premierleague.com/match/66684

https://matchday.mancity.com/fixtures/first-team/2021/leeds-united-v-manchester-city
The number of fouls committed by Leeds was easily double the official number. That weak, cowardly, useless heap of :poop: that was officiating gave them loads of leeway …….and Dallas’ injury is a direct result of his ineffectual judgement.

Manchester Evening News
Player Ratings

Ederson 6, Cancelo 6, Dias 5, Laporte 8, Ake*6, Rodrigo***7, Gundogan (C) 6, Grealish 4, Jesus 7, Foden***, Sterling 8

SUBS |Zinchenko*, Bernardo**(too late to mark), Fernandinho***(too late to mark)
Dias a 5? Seriously? What game were they watching?

20:03
'We've been in this position many times'
FT: Leeds 0-4 Man City

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola, speaking to BBC Match of the Day: "All the players were fantastic with the difficulty we suffered. They had some transitions in the last 25 minutes, but we played a really good game.

"The last time I came here was behind closed doors. It’s the first time I’m here at Elland Road with the people. I’ve heard many, many times about the support and when they have transitions they become crazy. It was a joy to be here for the first time."

On the title race: "We have been many times in this position. It’s not about the pressure – it’s simple. We have to win all our games to be champions. If we don’t, Liverpool will be champions.

"There’s a lot of tough games to play. We now have to recover well and go to Madrid for the Champions League. That’s all.

On a possible injury to Nathan Ake: "He had a bit [of a knock] with the ankle, but he was good enough to score."

20:04
'The Dallas injury hurts'
Leeds 0-4 Man City

Leeds boss Jesse Marsch to Sky Sports: "Our fans were outstanding. The best performance tonight was our fans. The reason they were so into the match was they could see our boys played well.

"I don’t think it’s a 4-0 match. We contained a lot of their really good players. If we could find a goal at 1-0 or 2-0 we could have made it more interesting.

"We wanted to be aggressive in certain moments in wide areas. We felt we could push them up the field a bit more and they played some long balls. We defended well in most of the moments. For the majority of the game I felt like we were quite good and unfortunate not to come away with a smaller gap on the scoreline."

On the free-kick for the first goal: "First on I don't think is a foul but whatever.

"We know they’re good at set-pieces and get a lot of them.

"Our guys showed up today. From the 20th to 70th minute we were really good. But this is what high level football is. It’s not just about good performances, it’s about scoring goals and preventing goals. A lot of good stuff from us."

On injuries to Stuart Dallas and Liam Cooper: "The Dallas one hurts [Leeds]. We think it’s probably not good. He has such a big heart and he's such a big part of the mentality of our team. That one we feel. We hope Coops isn’t that bad. He just felt something in his knee. Diego Llorente was feeling something.

"We’ll learn from today and can feel like we’re moving forward and making progress."

20:06
Leeds 0-4 Man City

Phil Foden has reached double figures for both goals and assists in all competitions for City in each of his last two seasons, scoring 13 and assisting 11 in 2021-22 and scoring 16 and assisting 10 in 2020-21.

20:08
Leeds 0-4 Man City

City have scored 18 Premier League goals from set-pieces this season (excluding penalties), the most of any side.
It’s their highest such total in a single Premier League campaign since 2013-14 (22).

20:13
Leeds 0-4 Man City

City set a new club league record of 16 successive away games unbeaten (W13 D3).
The previous best was 15 from December 1998 to September 1999 (12 in the third tier, three in the second tier- not including play-offs).

Jessie don’t be a prick. You were beaten fair and square despite your team’s spoiling tactics and niggly, shitty fouls. Had the referee done his job you probably wouldn’t have finished with 11 on the pitch.