Match Thread: Ipswich Town v Lincoln City | Page 22 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Ipswich Town v Lincoln City

This team can not afford a player who puts as little effort in as Whittaker, at fault for both goals and gave the ball away consistently after that every time he received it.

i'm afraid all out outfield loan players bar Norton Cuffy have been a tad disapointing this season. Its just a case of limping over the line then we can try and forget all about this season.

That tonight is exactly what the manager is up against. He keeps faith with the system and most players that played so well on Saturday then is rewarded with that pile of horse shit of a performance.

It must be doing his absolute head in on what to do next.

The players aren't helping themselves. McGrandles is the ONLY consistent player we have got.

We are not going to find any consistency, we play decent once every four or five games.We're going to have to wing it and hope four teams fuck it more than we have.

One that surprised and disappointed me tonight was TJ - just didn't put a foot right all night
He was far from alone, but having looked much more like last season's TJ on Saturday he was back to this season's version tonight.

The back 3 looked balanced on Saturday, anything but tonight.

This team can not afford a player who puts as little effort in as Whittaker, at fault for both goals and gave the ball away consistently after that every time he received it.
There is something in that but at least he did show for the ball, have a couple of decent moments (very Adelakun performance) and look to get involved in the game. There were one or two others out there who weren't involved in the game whatsoever and as such played more poorly than Whittaker imo.

On Saturday he did ok because everybody around him played well as a team; tonight he was badly exposed out of position in the first half because nobody in the team played well; and like I say at least he didn't hide.

Whitaker did really well on Saturday in his first game in that role but tonight he was up against a player in Burns who just had that bit more nous. I honestly think that he was not the worst player we had on the pitch tonight although many will point to him losing the ball for their first goal, but it was on the edge of their area so plenty of others could have ensured it didn't end up in our net

If it was ever in doubt… Hopper and Walsh easily two of our most important players, need them fit for the run in, honestly don’t think any players make more of a difference to us than them two.

There was a few woeful performances this evening.

I noticed that.
Norton-Cuffyoma was a cracker. He'll Back to his trick of calling every black player (and sometimes white) Eyoma by next game.

He even called Jimmy Walker "Paul" even though I can't ever recall him having a Paul alongside him.

And then a great ball from the right that Marquis or one of our forwards should have been slotting into the near post he said "Urr its not a good ball", when any man and his dog could see it was a great ball including Paul....err I mean Jimmy alongside him who instantly cut in and said that's a great ball.

That tonight is exactly what the manager is up against. He keeps faith with the system and most players that played so well on Saturday then is rewarded with that pile of horse shit of a performance.

It must be doing his absolute head in on what to do next.

The players aren't helping themselves. McGrandles is the ONLY consistent player we have got.

We are not going to find any consistency, we play decent once every four or five games.We're going to have to wing it and hope four teams fuck it more than we have.

Mostly correct - except for one important factor.

He brought in Cullen and played nobody in front of Whittaker against one of the best right sided players in the division (Burns).

That left a guy playing only his second game ever at left back completely exposed.

I agree Whittaker was poor, but the tactical naivity of our manager is even poorer.

On a positive, a win and a loss is better than two draws. But a bit more tension for Saturday’s game at Wimbledon now.
Point I was going to make. Most of us will have been pleased with 2 points from these last 2 games, we've got 3 and no impact on goal difference.

Take the positives, onto Saturday when we need to be strong and fast from the off against a side low on confidence. Like Doncaster and Gillingham...... Though to be fair, they were in better form than Wimbledon.

Both strongly agree and strongly disagree with MA. Ipswich were the best side that we have played. But REALLY concerned that this is the excuse used by MA. We were poor, regardless, across the whole team.

Regan Poole says hi. He did fine tonight and is my player of the season to date

Yeah I'll give you that one sedge but my point is we are where we are because we have to many players who are decent players, as we saw on Saturday, but are ridiculously inconsistent at pulling those sort of performances out the bag. Hence tonight's capitulation. You cannot dress these performances up, it was frustratingly non existent. Their keeper got changed and was off home before the final whistle confident that we wouldn't manage a shot at goal if we were still playing them tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
Good point made above, better to win and lose, rather than draw two. But, drawing two shows that we can hold teams, whereas win-lose isn’t too bad as long as you’re winning as many as you’re losing.

MA saying Ipswich were good, we weren't bad?? First part of the statement is true
We started well, and finished ok, but without really hurting them, that the first real threat in their box happened in the 96th minute says it all.

In between, we lost the game and were lucky Ipswich didn't really go for the jugular as they could have had a hatful if they'd done so. I hope MA is saying something different to the players themselves.

Both strongly agree and strongly disagree with MA. Ipswich were the best side that we have played. But REALLY concerned that this is the excuse used by MA. We were poor, regardless, across the whole team.
The difference is that Ipswich are not so afraid to lose possession that they refuse to play the ball forward. They aren't long ball but they get the ball and their tempo immediately raises. If they lose the ball they get back into position and start again.

In contrast we refuse to play forward unless there is something easy on and it inevitably ends up with a defender under pressure or the keeper to hoof a clearance and hope OR we oops it to the opposition much closer to home.

Playing out from the back is fine but we never seem to play the ball forward unless it follows the formula of down the wings, definitely don't cross it in, must be played back to the corner of the 18 yard box and shoot from there if the path is clear or try and make an 18 pass move around the box for the perfect walk-in goal.

Last edited: