What should replace the Colston statue in Bristol? | Page 27 | Vital Football

What should replace the Colston statue in Bristol?

Whatever became of the height of Haute Cuisine that was McDoody's?

Mcdonalds in gills high st just suddenly announced it was closing with no reason given.
It was certainly one of the worst mcdonalds for waiting for food.

They were getting a more than their fair share of chavs and dropouts sitting for hours without buying anything plus anti social behaviour.

Mcdonalds in gills high st just suddenly announced it was closing with no reason given.

They were getting a more than their fair share of chavs and dropouts sitting for hours without buying anything plus anti social behaviour.

Wasn’t the Gillingham high street McDonald’s one of the first in the country to employ doorman to keep the dregs out?

I was referring to the abomination that is situated where the Livvy used to be.

I was referring to the abomination that is situated where the Livvy used to be.
Tavistock is the only town that managed to see off McDonalds.
The local people didn’t want it and didn’t use it in significant enough numbers to make it viable.

We don't have a Maccie D's here, the town kicked off bad enough when Costa arrived. 🙄

Used to be a good Wimpy there though. The one in Strood is crap. We do have three McDs, and the main one has two or three bouncers on at the weekend.

Yes , and they got beaten too.
When Maccy D's pulls out , it indicates how rough its got.

No it doesn't it indicates lack of profitability and changing trading models. The drive thrus do the big business now along with deliveroo etc while a smaller number of "restaurants" survive in prime locations. Gillingham has its own thriving cafe culture, which bears no resemblance to the trendy one. I can think of few high streets that have so many well frequented cafes, most not part of chains. Take a look at the clientel and wonder why they would be prepared to sit out most days if they thought it in the least threatening.

If you find Gillingham scary please don't travel far. In the hierarchy of scary high streets Gillingham is sunday league stuff. I am not aware that the council intends opening the high street to traffic again though there was an exhibitoion, which floated that along with a number of other ideas in 2018.

A certain number of shopkeepers relentlessly oppose pedestrianisation in the mistaken belief that it reduces trade. They also believe in the fantasy that high streets can return to their old patterns but fewer people go to the pub, internet shopping and dleivery models continue to expand. Some people are offended by the presence of poor people when they shop and they should travel to wherever they feel comfortable. They shouldn't knock those, who continue to use their high street in numbers rarely seen elsewhere. A few more pounds in those peoples pockets would get things moving soon enough.

Last edited:
I genuinely think Gillingham (high street area) is up there with some of the roughest/run down areas in the whole of England. I have to disagree with JoGills on this one as someone that's travelled all over the UK including some horrible places that's just my experience. The place has got character, that's for sure.

I would add there's also some nice parts of Gillingham which don't get talked about.

Tavistock is the only town that managed to see off McDonalds.
The local people didn’t want it and didn’t use it in significant enough numbers to make it viable.
I am referring to a fast food place that called itself "McDoody's". A cheap version of McDonalds, if such a thing is possible. Didn't seem to last long, unsurprisingly.

Last edited:
A replacement eatery (I say with some trepidation) has opened up relatively recently on the old Livvy site. I see this on my way from the station to the Cricketers on match days. I'm not brave enough to give it try, but will look out for its name on Saturday :oops:

I didn't say that , I used the word rough.
It's a run down area and always has been.
Countless other communities , up and down the country , are the same.

Point taken though I wasn't replyimng exclusively to you. Your final sentence I agree with absolutely.

I genuinely think Gillingham (high street area) is up there with some of the roughest/run down areas in the whole of England. I have to disagree with JoGills on this one as someone that's travelled all over the UK including some horrible places that's just my experience. The place has got character, that's for sure.

I would add there's also some nice parts of Gillingham which don't get talked about.

That's a hell of a call Bromley. I can think of any number of towns with way more empty and rundown properties.