The January Transfer Thread 2022 | Page 155 | Vital Football

The January Transfer Thread 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have taken all except Olsen who people up this neck of the woods tell me is useless. Couldn't get in a very poor Sheffield United team.

The one big thing that has struck me this morning is with not splashing out on a DM we now have funds to offer bumper contracts to the likes of Dougie and McGinn to ward off any interest in the summer.
Perhaps the key is Marvellous up to the mark?

I like Jed but he had a terrible injury and then had barely played since. Against Chelsea earlier in the season I thought he looked rusty, the only way to improve that is by getting him minutes out on loan whilst we’ve bought in an international who is better placed to step in on a short term basis if required

I think a lot of people are projecting their own desires for a DM onto SG. Lots of people saying we need a dedicated DM and one who is physically dominant.

However we made an enquiry about Bentancur who really isn't that sort of player. Entirely possible that in the summer we do not get a Bissouma type player.

I’m surprised nobody went in for Boubacar Kamara, who is very much a DM. Marseille were prepared to let him go for 10 million to avoid losing him for nothing in the Summer. He is a very highly rated young player in France, perhaps it was a case of him wanting to see out his contract in order to have the freedom of choice of clubs from June onwards.

Not really a thread for it but anyone know the team that best Brentford in the friendly today? I know a couple of the new guys played

Not really a thread for it but anyone know the team that best Brentford in the friendly today? I know a couple of the new guys played

Not really answering your question as I don’t know, but on the same topic a report on social media from a usually reliable source suggests Ramsey went on a mazy run from just inside the Brentford half and ended up nearly scoring a great goal.

Edited to add nearly

Last edited:
I’m surprised nobody went in for Boubacar Kamara, who is very much a DM. Marseille were prepared to let him go for 10 million to avoid losing him for nothing in the Summer. He is a very highly rated young player in France, perhaps it was a case of him wanting to see out his contract in order to have the freedom of choice of clubs from June onwards.

Same, thought someone might steal and march on a summer scramble, and hoped that someone might have been us!

Only heard of him when speculation started, but seems much coveted and one where a profit could be turned at some point.

I think a lot of people are projecting their own desires for a DM onto SG. Lots of people saying we need a dedicated DM and one who is physically dominant.

However we made an enquiry about Bentancur who really isn't that sort of player. Entirely possible that in the summer we do not get a Bissouma type player.

yep my take on things as I've said many times we play with 3 solid midfielders not one defensive midfielder. It seems to be the social media that are obsessed with replacing Marv, who t be honest hasn't played that much since he signed anyway.
I keep reading Luiz us out of position yet except for when he's played for Brazil he's he's played the defensive midfield for us and in Spain before us. Before that he was in Brazil

It's a good point. He seems to be copying the Liverpool mould and if you look at Liverpool they don't really have an enforcer type, they have 3 very good all rounders in Fabinho, Henderson and Thiago (Milner/Kieta or Jones if they're missing)

Could be argued what we have in Mcginn, Luiz and Ramsey is very similar albeit not of the same quality. Likely Gerrard is trying to improve on the quality while still having the same style of player.

Website ranking every clubs transfer window. We come out top of the pile.

Nice to see that neutral's agree that we've had an excellent window.

https://www.101greatgoals.com/news/ranking-every-premier-league-clubs-transfer-window/

1. Aston Villa
Aston Villa could probably not have imagined a better first transfer window under Steven Gerrard. The Midlands outfit were able to add players of a calibre above many of those already at the club, wooing Gerrard’s former team-mate Philippe Coutinho to Villa Park and also shelling out £25 million for Lucas Digne, while they shipped out Anwar El Ghazi, who managed just 383 minutes in the first half of the campaign.

In Robin Olsen and Calum Chambers, they have also secured suitable backup options for low fees, with Chambers to replace the outgoing Axel Tuanzebe, who joined Napoli.

Currently in 11th place, the second half of their season should be far better than the first, and the Villans’ additions will certainly help take the burden off the likes of Emi Buendia and Danny Ings, themselves only months into their Villa careers.

When you think of a DM in the Liverpool system I think you need to think of it as a "disciplined" midfielder + someone who reads the game well and who is ultimately a fail-safe. That's where Dougie checks the boxes except the last one. He is only playing in that anchor role because McGinn et al. don't have the discipline to play there. Luiz has the most interceptions for us and I think that's because he is decent at reading the game. However, he is a poor fail-safe because he usually has to foul the man to stop them from getting past him.

Fabinho plays the disciplined role in midfield with Keita and Henderson being akin to McGinn and Sanson. Ramsey is probably the only one, unlike anybody they have and oddly Luis is probably closer in style to Thiago than any of the others except Thaigo never plays the deeper disciplined role.

When you think of a DM in the Liverpool system I think you need to think of it as a "disciplined" midfielder + someone who reads the game well and who is ultimately a fail-safe. That's where Dougie checks the boxes except the last one. He is only playing in that anchor role because McGinn et al. don't have the discipline to play there. Luiz has the most interceptions for us and I think that's because he is decent at reading the game. However, he is a poor fail-safe because he usually has to foul the man to stop them from getting past him.

Absolutely, the modern day DM needs to read the game, intercept passes, get goal side, not foul needlessly and be a good ball player. I think you’re spot on with the lower discipline levels, especially McGinn - I love SJM but sometimes he needs to wake him up defensively, he switches off sometimes too easily.

He (Luiz) does give away silly free kicks and even worse penalties, but the rest of it he is highly competent at.

The main thing for me is I want to see him slightly higher up the pitch. He sits very deep and is like to see him picking up the ball 5 yards higher, in between the opposition midfield lines, too often he’s on the toes of the defenders who are highly capable footballers in their own right. I don’t see him as an attacking midfielder like some, it’s just a positioning thing.

If Luiz did not give away free kicks in such dangerous places i think he is well up to the job. All midfield players give away free kicks to break up play. There is a time and place though. Its what he needs to work on most.

Status
Not open for further replies.