The January Transfer Thread 2022 | Page 154 | Vital Football

The January Transfer Thread 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t know how many they brought in, but you don’t change a crap team overnight and get everyone “buying into the project”. Won’t take long to find out whether their attempt make any difference. Teams don’t tend to play themselves out of trouble.
Think we have been there Merd and found out it don't work like that.

Don’t know how many they brought in, but you don’t change a crap team overnight and get everyone “buying into the project”. Won’t take long to find out whether their attempt make any difference. Teams don’t tend to play themselves out of trouble.

it's one more than we did

Their backline is a hell of a lot better but you're also talking about the one area of the pitch that truly needs to act as a unit. They've now got 4 lads who've never played together before. Dan Burn and Targett are probably as much of a target of weakness as Clark and Ritchie, they're both as slow as a wet weak. Dan Burn has always played in a 3 man backline too and if they go with a 5 man backline they'll see Targetts limitations very quickly.

Bruno looks a decent player but will he take as long as Sanson to get up to speed? TBH though Weghorst looks a better player than Wood so Burnley might not be as significantly weakened as many thought.

My flaming hot take on our transfer activity:

Overall, I'm pretty happy. Digne is a big upgrade on Targett, especially if we want out full backs high up the pitch.

Coutinho is an amazing (loan) signing.

I don't give a woop woop about the other two.

Disappointed that we didn't get a DM. That's the one position that we really needed to fill.

It would have been exciting to pull if some deadline day coup but the January window is always a bad one.

It could have been much worse. We could have been Everton, ending up with Anwar, Beaky and Deli Belly. WTF are they thinking?

Turning down three bids for Douggie probably puts to bed the thoughts that he's not wanted here. From the club's perspective at least. I think he's been our most consistent performer this season - even during our wonky start he was the one player putting in a good performance every week. Would have been smooth-brain stuff to sell him.

If someone before the window had offered:
Targett -> Digne
Steer -> Olsen
El Ghazi -> Coutinho
Axel -> Chambers

Who wouldn't have taken it?

Turning down three bids for Douggie probably puts to bed the thoughts that he's not wanted here. From the club's perspective at least. I think he's been our most consistent performer this season - even during our wonky start he was the one player putting in a good performance every week. Would have been smooth-brain stuff to sell him.

Targett -> Digne
Steer -> Olsen
El Ghazi -> Coutinho
Axel -> Chambers

I would have taken all except Olsen who people up this neck of the woods tell me is useless. Couldn't get in a very poor Sheffield United team.

The one big thing that has struck me this morning is with not splashing out on a DM we now have funds to offer bumper contracts to the likes of Dougie and McGinn to ward off any interest in the summer.

Targett -> Digne
Steer -> Olsen
El Ghazi -> Coutinho
Axel -> Chambers

The only one I wouldn't take is Olsen to be honest but the rest is very good business for us. Overall it's a good window.

Olsen & Chambers - can't imagine anyone would be arsed about but then taking back axel was pointless anyway.
Coutinho is a punt and how well that turns out decides really if this window was moderate or decent.

I guess the question for those who think we've made a massive leap forward is where we would have finished without these signings and where we expect to finish now ?

Did we bid for Hickey or was it paper talk and if they did why so low a bid bit like the Bissouma bid 25 mill we offered was that paper talk as well

I would have taken all except Olsen who people up this neck of the woods tell me is useless. Couldn't get in a very poor Sheffield United team.

The one big thing that has struck me this morning is with not splashing out on a DM we now have funds to offer bumper contracts to the likes of Dougie and McGinn to ward off any interest in the summer.

Olsen looked dodgy when he was on loan at Everton, but I remember being surprised that he wasn't as shite as I expected during the Euros. Seemed fairly solid for Sweden. He's only there for cover anyway so hopefully we dont need to find out

Status
Not open for further replies.