Scally on five live | Vital Football

Scally on five live

markinkent

Vital Football Hero
Anyone hear it ?

I only caught the last 10 seconds. Freaked me out, got in the car, turned the radio on and had the dear leaders voice. Thought I'd gone mad for a second.

Something about players not vaccinated but didn't catch it sell

Maybe his response to this:

Could be a number of reasons why a higher proportion of lower league footballers are unvaccinated to the general population:
- more BAME representation?
- consider themselves young and fit, don’t think they’ll miss as many games (and therefore their spot in the team) getting Covid than getting a reaction to the jab?
- general lack of higher education (very subjective this one 🙂 🪖)

Could be a number of reasons why a higher proportion of lower league footballers are unvaccinated to the general population:
- consider themselves young and fit, don’t think they’ll miss as many games (and therefore their spot in the team) getting Covid than getting a reaction to the jab?
A odd one for me.The reaction to the Jab is generally short term. Personally I didn't get a reaction to the booster .But I know it is personal.
Getting involved in a contact sport and not getting jabbed is for me a total no no.The reasons the individual players have are clearly varied. Social media had a lot to answer for on this.It is a bit of a joke that attendance at games might be stopped for those on the terraces but players will still be allowed to play without the jab.

Lol - I posted the below on the 'game.off' thread literally the same minute that you posted this!

"I don't know. I know the vaccination rates for persons of colour are lower than for whites, so maybe that is part of it? And the fact that footballers are young? I suppose you'd have to ask them though"

A odd one for me.The reaction to the Jab is generally short term. Personally I didn't get a reaction to the booster .But I know it is personal.
Getting involved in a contact sport and not getting jabbed is for me a total no no.The reasons the individual players have are clearly varied. Social media had a lot to answer for on this.It is a bit of a joke that attendance at games might be stopped for those on the terraces but players will still be allowed to play without the jab.
People don’t want the jab through a mixture of things:
- they were fucked over by being told to get the anti-malaria drug in their army days, so understandable anti-vax
- they’re scared of getting a needle prick or a reaction like me previously not wanting the flu jab as everyone seemed to get flu symptoms
- they think this may be dangerous despite scientists saying they use the vast majority of other vaccines to make these nowadays
- they’re simply against being told what to do

Personally I believe getting the vaccine and any future jabs is crucial to avoiding the NHS being overburdened as well as the small benefit of less transmission, so I feel a higher population that is fully vaccinated can get to as normal as possible as quickly as possible.

I’m in my 30s and do parkruns ok even though I’m probably fat and drink too much, so may not end up in ICU anyway if I catch it. But I feel my part to play is getting the vaccine as well as helping further by wearing a mask if I’m on a stupidly busy tube. I understand if I go to the pub with people who have it then I’ll get it, fuck it. Or I’ll give it to them if I have it. At the end of the day I’m not wearing a mask in a pub on a table with other people but I’ll wear a mask on a packed train getting there and I’ll do a LFT before leaving. It’s just not being selfish.

It’s weird times when football fans will unfriend/block a prominent and star Gills player like Danny Lloyd due to his anti-vax posts.

It’s weird times when football fans will unfriend/block a prominent and star Gills player like Danny Lloyd due to his anti-vax posts.

Danny is excellent on social media, frequently interacting with Gills fans. I don't agree with his views on covid vaccines but that is his opinion and his choice if he has one or not. People unfollowing him due to these views I find quite strange but as you say mate.. wierd times.

People don’t want the jab through a mixture of things:
- they were fucked over by being told to get the anti-malaria drug in their army days, so understandable anti-vax
- they’re scared of getting a needle prick or a reaction like me previously not wanting the flu jab as everyone seemed to get flu symptoms
- they think this may be dangerous despite scientists saying they use the vast majority of other vaccines to make these nowadays
- they’re simply against being told what to do

Personally I believe getting the vaccine and any future jabs is crucial to avoiding the NHS being overburdened as well as the small benefit of less transmission, so I feel a higher population that is fully vaccinated can get to as normal as possible as quickly as possible.

I’m in my 30s and do parkruns ok even though I’m probably fat and drink too much, so may not end up in ICU anyway if I catch it. But I feel my part to play is getting the vaccine as well as helping further by wearing a mask if I’m on a stupidly busy tube. I understand if I go to the pub with people who have it then I’ll get it, fuck it. Or I’ll give it to them if I have it. At the end of the day I’m not wearing a mask in a pub on a table with other people but I’ll wear a mask on a packed train getting there and I’ll do a LFT before leaving. It’s just not being selfish.

I didn't know about Danny Lloyd .Personally I think most people who don't get vaccinated are a little selfish. Many people have been vaccinated to protect others .I totally get why some might might turn their backs on him especially if he is trying to promote a non vaccine stance.
In life the majority of decisions we make have a low impact on others .Most who regularly do things for others would have the vaccine regardless of themselves.
Unfortunately the Danny Lloyd's of this world still represent a significant percentage.I love what he does on the pitch but this is something he could have done that might have saved a life .Nobody really knows how many lives have been saved by the vaccine. At very least people have been gives a large amount of freedom as a result of the jab.Which includes going to football matches. Without that Danny Lloyd you would not get paid think about it????

It's such a contentious issue isn't it.

I've had both jabs and a booster because I'm 40 (just getting into my prime, ladies) so don't understand the reluctance to get the vaccine. I'm not saying I'm right and they're wrong mind.

I had vaccines when I was a kid and as far as I'm aware they aren't the reason why I can be a bit fick (according to my business partner) on occasion; but they have helped keep TB etc at bay.

Danny is excellent on social media, frequently interacting with Gills fans. I don't agree with his views on covid vaccines but that is his opinion and his choice if he has one or not. People unfollowing him due to these views I find quite strange but as you say mate.. wierd times.

Then again there have been a significant rise in cases of sports stars suffering heart problems on the pitch coinciding with Covid and the vaccine role out. Maybe the cause is a side effect of long Covid, maybe the "1 in a million people might suffer heart problems" risk warning to he vaccination needs to be reassessed or maybe it could be something else. Whatever the cause, the general media "don't talk about it or risk banning" probably isn't helping.

As a professional athlete, people like Danny have a real invested interest in the cause of the heart issues and I am not surprised he and others are deeply cynical if asking questions is frowned upon.

Then again there have been a significant rise in cases of sports stars suffering heart problems on the pitch coinciding with Covid and the vaccine role out. Maybe the cause is a side effect of long Covid, maybe the "1 in a million people might suffer heart problems" risk warning to he vaccination needs to be reassessed or maybe it could be something else. Whatever the cause, the general media "don't talk about it or risk banning" probably isn't helping.

As a professional athlete, people like Danny have a real invested interest in the cause of the heart issues and I am not surprised he and others are deeply cynical if asking questions is frowned upon.
But so many of those athletes didn’t have the vaccines!

1, 2 or 3 jabs do not in themselves stop a player from catching covid or passing it on.
Yes, we know. Nobody ever said it did. There remain overwhelming reasons why people should be vaxxed. Even more so than seatbelts don't guarantee safety. In fact weaker argument to enforce seatbelts than vaxxes imo.

1, 2 or 3 jabs do not in themselves stop a player from catching covid or passing it on.
That's widely accepted but they are meant to lessen the symptoms and reduce the chances of transmission.
I've had all three and although I tested positive on Sunday, I've had very few minor symptoms although I am approaching 56 and asthmatic.
Mrs Nobby is also triple jabbed and, despite being in close contact with me all week, is still testing negative every morning and has also given a negative PCR today.

That's widely accepted but they are meant to lessen the symptoms and reduce the chances of transmission.
I've had all three and although I tested positive on Sunday, I've had very few minor symptoms although I am approaching 56 and asthmatic.
Mrs Nobby is also triple jabbed and, despite being in close contact with me all week, is still testing negative every morning and has also given a negative PCR today.

Agreed- and i am triple jabbed and make sure i follow all rules.
The point was more that we cannot just blame the fact some players are unvaccinated.
We have no figures as to the vaccination status of the actual players that have tested positive. It may be that some players are not even bothering to avoid situations where they are at risk.

Yes, we know. Nobody ever said it did. There remain overwhelming reasons why people should be vaxxed. Even more so than seatbelts don't guarantee safety. In fact weaker argument to enforce seatbelts than vaxxes imo.

No seatbelt and you're a potentially 180 pound unsecured lump (no offence) flying around the car posing a risk to whoever else is in there.

People should get vaccinated. This seems to me to be blindingly obvious even if it involves an act of faith or trust in experts. We believe in and trust experts through every inch of our daily lives. Why draw the line here?

People should not be forced to get vaccinated. People's rights can be curtailed should they choose not to be vaccinated -but this is difficult and requires a very careful approach. The trouble is a broad brush you'll-do-it-and-like-it works from a public health point of view (China), but at appalling cost.

I'm always surprised by how many who take a strong view on people getting vaccinated are happy with a free pass to people who can't/don't want to wear facemasks on health or religious grounds. Not a dig -it's just strange how COVID seems to make authoritarians out of those we would regard as liberals in the normal course of events , and liberals out of those we might regard as authoritarians in the normal course of events.

My trip to the UK hangs by a thread which is about to snap unless improbably good news emerges. I don't mind risking getting sick. I cannot accept risking getting quarantined. It's a bugger, but a small one in the scheme of things.

Not a dig -it's just strange how COVID seems to make authoritarians out of those we would regard as liberals in the normal course of events , and liberals out of those we might regard as authoritarians in the normal course of events.
As well as making authoritarians out of people , it has also exposed a nasty , callous streak.
Again , not what you would expect maybe ?

As well as making authoritarians out of people , it has also exposed a nasty , callous streak.
Again , not what you would expect maybe ?

Yes. Stressed out people exploding, and people with pre-existing chips indulging themselves. And from all points of the political compass.

People should get vaccinated. This seems to me to be blindingly obvious even if it involves an act of faith or trust in experts. We believe in and trust experts through every inch of our daily lives. Why draw the line here?

They are my thoughts.

I've got a brilliant video of a large passenger plane coming into land in dense fog. Its an instrument landing. The pilot eventually sees the runway lights 15 feet from the hard surface. The ILS has put him right on the centre line as designed.

Everyone put total trust in the experts.

How was your drinking water or food this morning ? We live our lives trusting people.

I think people should take the vaccine as it's doing our bit to help the NHS.