Crystal Palace v Aston Villa - Match Thread | Page 27 | Vital Football

Crystal Palace v Aston Villa - Match Thread

Good first half, struggled to get much possesion in their half second half.
Could smash bloody Watkins with his stupid dives.
Won't bother naming individual performances,others have done that.
Gerrard will be furious to have let in such a soft goal at the death.
Anyone disagrees, that's all good, because the Hesgoal link was bloody awful, and I missed a fair bit

I think we're seeing the benefits of the back to basics approach with new manager levels of commitment and trying to impress. Sitting back like that won't get us into Europe but for right now it's 100% the correct thing to be doing. Looking forward to him getting the attack firing.

36% possession after a dominant first half. Gerrard building off solid foundations, but we can’t invite teams like City and Liverpool onto us like that, they’ll rip us a new one.

Results have been great, now build on the obvious talent. Second half was never twitchy bum time but I was so glad McGinn’s effort went in. Watkins cannot hold a ball up, so through balls or over the top running the channels - play to his strengths.

Last edited:
I think we're seeing the benefits of the back to basics approach with new manager levels of commitment and trying to impress. Sitting back like that won't get us into Europe but for right now it's 100% the correct thing to be doing. Looking forward to him getting the attack firing.

It did under MON! Not that I particularly like the guy, but we regularly had 30-40% possession yet finished 6th three seasons on the trot

In Watkins defense he did have his first child a few months ago. We do easily forget that these guys are human beings, not robots. He'll be suffering all the usual sleepless nights and frustrations that all of us with kids would have had.

I wouldn't sell him. He was awesome last season, but maybe a bit of time out?
Never ceases to amaze me how quickly some people want to write players off and sell them. Anyway back to the point, Watkins was very poor today but that’s why we bought Ings, so we have options if one is struggling. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Ings coming back in next week.

Last edited:
Great 3 points for the boys. Perfect away performance and even better considering we seemed to be playing against 12 men most of the game. Thought the referee was atrocious. Less said about him the better. Solid throughout but first half in particular, thought we were superb.Huge couple of wins with city and Liverpool looming. The rot has well and truly stopped which was absolutely vital in Gerrard’s first two games. Impressive start. Long may it continue.

No wonder that ref has shown more reds than yellows, fuck in hell! Right decision to overturn and actually fair play to him for doing so but he needs to calm down.

37% possession, but it doesn’t matter. That’s what away days are, sit deep, and hit on the counter. Very professional, well executed. Up the Villa
It was a poor initial decision but you can see why he gave it as Luiz did look like he lunged in. Luiz was actually quite poor today, looked like he was lacking concentration having been out for a while.

It was a poor initial decision but you can see why he gave it as Luiz did look like he lunged in. Luiz was actually quite poor today, looked like he was lacking concentration having been out for a while.

Yeah. I know this will give those who don’t rate Luiz bullets to fire but he has been out for several weeks to be fair.