How Can Lincoln City Football Club Become Greener? | Page 2 | Vital Football

How Can Lincoln City Football Club Become Greener?

Don't build a massive new stadium. The carbon footprint of that development would be huge.
That's a good call but even then it can be argued against (different scale but FGR certainly thought it was worthwhile), a new stadium would certainly be more energy efficient, how long would it take to offset the CO2 cost of the build to be producing less CO2 overall than any efficiencies we could build into Sincil Bank?

That's a good call but even then it can be argued against (different scale but FGR certainly thought it was worthwhile), a new stadium would certainly be more energy efficient, how long would it take to offset the CO2 cost of the build to be producing less CO2 overall than any efficiencies we could build into Sincil Bank?

About 1000 years.*

*Plucks figure out of air.

Think there are/used to be some outside the Club Shop but I can't say I've ever seen a bike in them.

Copied from the programme thread:

I would love to see a programme without adverts; I know they generate commercial income, but how many supporters even look at them? Now we have LED pitchside advertising, is it strictly necessary anymore?

Reduce the physical size of the programme - for example, the early '80s one was fine and it fitted inside a pocket. Today's programmes do not fit in any pocket I have, and end up torn and dog-eared by the time I get them home, which does put me off buying one.

Reduce the content by ensuring that every item is interesting and relevant. Some of the articles are very poorly written and border on the embarrassing sometimes. Get rid of those for starters.

Does every page have to be in full colour? There must be a cost involved.

So, a physically smaller programme with reduced (but more relevant) content, no adverts, fewer full colour pages, less ink, less paper, no dreadful grammar, all for £2?

Last edited:
The programme needs to have a look at the old fanzine layout. More diversity in its writers and covering every aspect by of the club and the fans.
Being spoon fed one line is pretty monotonous and it seems one programme is just the same as the last.
With of course the away team information changing.
Make them more fan friendly. End white middle class man writing what they want us to hear.

Copied from the programme thread:

I would love to see a programme without adverts; I know they generate commercial income, but how many supporters even look at them? Now we have LED pitchside advertising, is it strictly necessary anymore?

Reduce the physical size of the programme - for example, the early '80s one was fine and it fitted inside a pocket. Today's programmes do not fit in any pocket I have, and end up torn and dog-eared by the time I get them home, which does put me off buying one.

Reduce the content by ensuring that every item is interesting and relevant. Some of the articles are very poorly written and border on the embarrassing sometimes. Get rid of those for starters.

Does every page have to be in full colour? There must be a cost involved.

So, a physically smaller programme with reduced (but more relevant) content, no adverts, fewer full colour pages, less ink, less paper, no dreadful grammar, all for £2?
That black and white booklet kinda thing you describe is something you'd pick up at a Saturday, semi-pro game, though. There needs to be an element of professionalism with it, which I think our current one has the look of.

I'm not really a programme buyer full stop, btw. Never have been and never will be aside from important, one-off games - PO Finals, Arsenal, EFL Trophy Final etc.

My personal opinion is that physical programmes are going to be very difficult to, and perhaps even can't, be saved. People take their information in, in very different ways now to even as recently as 10 years ago. Is there anything in a programme that you can't get on a phone, for free, within a few minutes if you really wanted to?

That black and white booklet kinda thing you describe is something you'd pick up at a Saturday, semi-pro game, though. There needs to be an element of professionalism with it, which I think our current one has the look of.

I'm not really a programme buyer full stop, btw. Never have been and never will be aside from important, one-off games - PO Finals, Arsenal, EFL Trophy Final etc.

My personal opinion is that physical programmes are going to be very difficult to, and perhaps even can't, be saved. People take their information in, in very different ways now to even as recently as 10 years ago. Is there anything in a programme that you can't get on a phone, for free, within a few minutes if you really wanted to?

Combining the programme and green questions, I did put on programme thread about glossy paper and maybe not using it.
Would un-glossy paper be more green (as well as cheaper and nicer to read)?
Obvious point though is no paper programme is greener still...but conversely, paper is fully recyclable (although I'd always keep my programmes!)

Combining the programme and green questions, I did put on programme thread about glossy paper and maybe not using it.
Would un-glossy paper be more green (as well as cheaper and nicer to read)?
Obvious point though is no paper programme is greener still...but conversely, paper is fully recyclable (although I'd always keep my programmes!)
Coated paper (glossy) isn't necessarily recyclable though (going back about 15 years though with this information so might have changed), British Airways once made a big deal out of using recycled paper for their brochures but then coated the paper to make it look better which mean't it couldn't then be recycled again.

Coated paper (glossy) isn't necessarily recyclable though (going back about 15 years though with this information so might have changed), British Airways once made a big deal out of using recycled paper for their brochures but then coated the paper to make it look better which mean't it couldn't then be recycled again.

Yes that's the point I clumsily tried to make.
Glossy paper both dearer and not recyclable.
Ordinary paper cheaper and recyclable, and fits in pockets easier, and you can write team changes down.

Have we not missed a trick already and buried those massive tanks for rainwater harvesting under the pitch. Pump required for pitch watering and then use water for toilet flushing.

Or be radical and move kickoffs from 1500hrs to an earlier time. But that would require all clubs as well as key stakeholders working together !

Just a reminder that the title of this thread is "How Can Lincoln City Football Club Become Greener?", so stick to the topic or don't post on the thread. It is that simple!

Have we not missed a trick already and buried those massive tanks for rainwater harvesting under the pitch. Pump required for pitch watering and then use water for toilet flushing.

Or be radical and move kickoffs from 1500hrs to an earlier time. But that would require all clubs as well as key stakeholders working together !

Nice idea on kick offs, could save on some floodlighting costs in the winter months.
I also mooted a suggestion elsewhere to reduce division size.
Two clubs less could knock out four evening matches and save on that lighting and heating, and reduce travelling for clubs and fans alike.
Would total home crowds fall? Quite possibly not. 100% attendees apart, rest of us can only afford so many games, so would not go any less than now.
Corporate budgets are finite too and should remain broadly unaffected. Premier League has proven that their reduction in numbers has actually ended up with much higher crowds and incomes.

So possibly both green gains, financial gains, and maybe player fitness gains resulting from a small reduction in matches.

Changing from plastic cups in the bars must be something that can be looked at. Presumably hundreds if not thousands of them end up in the bin on any given matchday? Perhaps a 10p refund if you bring your glass back to the bar for wash and reuse.

I realise it would be tricky to change from this, and labour intensive.

Changing from plastic cups in the bars must be something that can be looked at. Presumably hundreds if not thousands of them end up in the bin on any given matchday? Perhaps a 10p refund if you bring your glass back to the bar for wash and reuse.

I realise it would be tricky to change from this, and labour intensive.
Can you imagine pint glasses in the hands of aggressive fans though. Hot drinks cups aren’t yet recyclable and we sell hundreds of them, is there any alternative?

Can you imagine pint glasses in the hands of aggressive fans though. Hot drinks cups aren’t yet recyclable and we sell hundreds of them, is there any alternative?
You can get rigid reusable plastic glasses. I was allowed to keep a couple for camping when I camped at Alnwick Rugby ground a few years ago

You can get rigid reusable plastic glasses. I was allowed to keep a couple for camping when I camped at Alnwick Rugby ground a few years ago
But if they are rigid I don’t think they would be allowed would they. They could be used as a missile just like bottle tops