Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Delaney

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Low

Votes: 11 15.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoever we appoint, I hope we will all have some patience with the man and not expect us to rocket up the table with 5 straight wins. We've a tricky run of games coming up so there's every chance we'll be hovering around the bottom end of the table until xmas.
An uplift in the players' ability to do the basics on the pitch and show a bit more confidence will be a good start.

Don't agree with that Silhill, didn't think I would hear surrender monkey talk from you.😁
I didn't say we are going down in the same way talk of European football is pie in the sky. I think my prediction of 14th will be there or thereabouts. What we mustn't do though is throw the baby out with the bath water if it's a rough season throughout, a name like Gerrard should be able to better attract players that Smith couldn't as he didn't have that draw

If we go down Gerrard (or any other manager we appoint) would be sacked as it would represent complete failure, so it's not even worth thinking about.

If it happens we'll appoint the right man for the championship in June.

My worry about Gerrard is that this is a massive job. The weight of history and the expectations of fans who remember European glory aren't easy to live up to. This job has been chewing up and spitting out young promising managers for a decade. Another up and comer no matter how talented faces a very tough test.
Gerrard has a few of things in his favour that previous managers didn't one is he'll probably get funding which is something lots of recent managers didn't get. He has a halt decent squad already not chocked full of aging mercenaries that need clearing out. And he has had a spectacular aying career. If I'm in that squad I'm going to listen to his advice.

I'd actually be fascinated to see how the next manager ie. probably Gerrard will use SJM.

For me he's not a deeper lying midfielder and he should be a goal threat. (Though that doesn't excuse his overall performance level of late, same with the rest of the team).
I think this season we should be figuring out whether he should be considered a midfield lynchpin or whether he's frankly not good or consistent enough to command a regular role in the side.

I thought he started the season great and looked better than I've ever seen him at this level but he has been utterly abysmal over the past few games and cannot even do the basics well.

My view of McGinn is that he has not shown anywhere near enough consistency in his time here as a premier league player and that Dean Smith was far too loyal to him for the most part.

The more I read about Gerrard and his time at Rangers, the influence of Michael Beale cannot be underestimated it would seem. Stan clearly thinks highly of him as do quite a few others. Has to bring him with him you'd think.

@StanPetrov19

I’ve came across Michael few times. Incredible coach and powerful communicator on and off the pitch

The only reason Gerrard is in the frame is because his old mate is our CEO. I'm sure they will have a great time at management meetings telling everyone about all the great times they had at Liverpool and Liverpool was such a special place and how everything in Liverpool is better than everything in Birmingham.

My conspiracy theory brain is telling me that Purslow is hoping to ride the Gerrard train all the way back to Liverpool.

We are Aston Villa. We don't need their also rans and nearly men. Why can't our club grow a pair?

The only reason Gerrard is in the frame is because his old mate is our CEO. I'm sure they will have a great time at management meetings telling everyone about all the great times they had at Liverpool and Liverpool was such a special place and how everything in Liverpool is better than everything in Birmingham.

My conspiracy theory brain is telling me that Purslow is hoping to ride the Gerrard train all the way back to Liverpool.

We are Aston Villa. We don't need their also rans and nearly men. Why can't our club grow a pair?
A big red flag for me is if we starting getting players in from Liverpool on loan.

Gerrard is favourite for most vacant PL jobs that come up now, I dont see Purslow knowing the guy as the reason we're looking at him.

After initially feeling quite negative about Gerrard, I've convinced myself now that it's all rather exciting.

How fickle I am.

I agree with the sentiment that, if we are truly ambitious, we should and can look at the likes of Ten Hag—but on the other hand, even with the so called 'elite', absolutely nothing is guaranteed.

IF Gerrard agrees to join Villa, we know how ambitious he is, he must think he can do good things here and it will certainly be interesting!

Same here really.

No one on the list excites me, absolutely all of them are a gamble including the likes of Martinez, who I don't remember being a top Premier League manager anyway.

I don't care about the Liverpool thing, doesn't matter as long as he's winning games for Aston Villa, and we need to win some soon.

When this group of players are on form, we're actually quite good, and I can imagine them reacting positively to someone of Gerrards stature.

Status
Not open for further replies.