How Can Lincoln City Football Club Become Greener? | Vital Football

How Can Lincoln City Football Club Become Greener?

Jules

Website Owner
Staff member
Has anyone got any ideas on how Lincoln City can become more environmentally sustainable?

Please note: This is about Lincoln City Football Club becoming greener, so please post and discuss ideas about that, and keep it on topic.

1. There's a lot of plastic wastage from the foods supplied around the ground. Change that to some kind of paper holders.

2. Any capacity for solar panels on any of the stands?

3. Do they really need to water the pitch as much as they do pre match and at half time?

4. Do we really need heating on in the toilets. They were very warm last Saturday and honestly stepping in and out from the cold made not a jot of difference to the individual

5. Meat free burgers? (FGR's for all the snobbish comments were very tasty)

1. There's a lot of plastic wastage from the foods supplied around the ground. Change that to some kind of paper holders.

2. Any capacity for solar panels on any of the stands?

3. Do they really need to water the pitch as much as they do pre match and at half time?

4. Do we really need heating on in the toilets. They were very warm last Saturday and honestly stepping in and out from the cold made not a jot of difference to the individual

5. Meat free burgers? (FGR's for all the snobbish comments were very tasty)
Ref 3: As mentioned the other week it had been raining and the sprinklers still came on. Felt like was automatic regardless of conditions.

Solar Panels aren't really a great option. I suppose the biggest electric consumption is the floodlights used when it’s dark so the panels wouldn’t generate any electric then. The batteries needed to store the energy still aren’t cost effective. To be viable they ought to have installed a load of panels before April 2019 and then they would have been paid quite handsomely for selling unused energy back to the National Grid.

Good question!

Not entirely in the clubs gift but maybe encouraging alternative transport to the ground.

Mentioned above but there’s large roof spaces across stands/buildings the club owns. Scope for solar panels and rainwater harvesting?

It's been a few years since I did some sustainability modules as part of my studies, so I'm not completely up to date, particularly in the UK, with incentives and costs, but in general being green doesn't come cheap.

Plenty of space for some solar but the return on investment is really a non starter, particularly after the removal of the feed-in tariff. Batteries not so much a problem, as you effectively use the grid as your battery, feeding in when you have surplus, and taking when you need. But I suspect overall your unit cost overall is probably cheaper if you subscribe to a renewables tariff rather than install the infrastructure yourself.

Things like heat pumps are again probably not worth the bother with the relatively few areas that need to heated all week. There aren't that many offices. Perhaps they could look at these for the training ground. Speaking of which, without doing a study, I don't know but the location of the training ground may make it a decent place for a small scale wind turbine. But again, see my point above about cost of infrastructure.

Offsetting could be an option. Planting trees basically. Fairly quick and easy. Plenty of schemes around for this. There's a lot of land in Lincolnshire. You'd hope there'd be avenues to tie up something locally and wrap it in with some kind of sponsorship

How about the T word? Probably not very popular with the players, but electric cars are the future. A few available for travel between the stadium and EPC?

How about Stagecoach putting on latter Bus's on mid-week match days. That would reduce the carbon footprint of those having to use cars....

Example the No 2 from Lincoln to Branston around the villages (Washy etc) the last bus is at 19:15!!!!

Offsetting could be an option. Planting trees basically. Fairly quick and easy.

Possibly easy but certainly not quick. You need mature trees in order to take in meaningful amounts of CO2, so there's a lag of perhaps 20-30 years.

It takes literally dozens of (mature) trees to absorb one person's carbon footprint.

Possibly easy but certainly not quick. You need mature trees in order to take in meaningful amounts of CO2, so there's a lag of perhaps 20-30 years.

It takes literally dozens of (mature) trees to absorb one person's carbon footprint.

Visingo oak forest in Sweden was created in the 1830's with 300,000 oak trees to provide timber for their navy after the Napoleonic wars. The Swedish government has recently been told in the last few months that their trees are ready for the Navy.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/visingso-oak-forest

Is there anyway we could connect all the hot air that some managers spout, after not getting a result at The Bank, to the mains. I mean Evans output could probably heat a small town!

Well it could start by people who live within 45 minutes walk of the stadium and are physically able to do so walk to the match.

If I go from my other half's place it's about a 40 minute walk so I walk but the amount of people who still go by car from around there is staggering. Have people lost the use of the legs or what!

Ooo look I recycle my paper and plastic but heaven forbid I actually have to walk any further than absolutely necessary! As with all these things far too much hypocrisy and been seen to be doing the right thing.

What really pisses me off is these holier than thou celebs who tell us all to be green and do the right thing blah blah blah. Well let's start by selling your mansion and your multiple vehicles that guzzle loads of resources and move to a sensible sized place. No! Well shut the F up then you hypocrytical pr--ks!