Imps in Exile | Page 20 | Vital Football

Imps in Exile

Don't seem many from NK, either.

I went to a few school dances at NK. We always had a meet up pub before the different dances - Adam and Eve for Lincoln School, Wheatsheaf on Broadgate for Tech Coll and City School (then on Monks Road), and the Centurion for NK.

I remember one particular dance at NK. The evening was well under way when one of the lads spotted the father of one of our crew - his elder brother had been involved in a car accident and things were touch and go, so his dad had come to take him up to the County Hospital. The brother (who I knew and had been to our school) survived, but I visited him in hospital and he had been pretty badly smashed

When I was at Lincoln School it used to be the Bull and Chain we drank in. It is now houses I believe. I remember drinking in there on my 16th birthday. The landlady got on to me when I ordered my fourth pint saying I shouldn't be drinking so much at my age. But when I replied truthfully that ' I know but I am the oldest one in here'. She decided to leave me alone.

Don't seem many from NK, either.
I'm NK and so's my wife.

Left in 76 and 77 respectively.

Amongst the psychos and characters on the teaching staff from those days, the little and large pair of 4' 6" Jack Deller (physics, bottle glass specs) and 6'6" Frank Mason (latin, see John Cleese's centurion in Life of Brian, Frank - and other latin teachers - to a T) were an unlikely pair, both moonlighting on the turnstiles at Sincil Bank on matchdays. Frank was pretty accurate with the chalk, think occasional board rubbers if really provoked.

Astbury was my Form Master in the 6th Form - always found him a decent bloke. Interestingly didn't know he was a Donny Rovers fan. I remember "Hoss" Andrews (History) supported Southampton

Above the chalk and blackboard rubber throwers was Wells-Cole. He'd lift the lid of the desk up - boy had to put his head in the desk - W-C brought lid of desk down on boy's head.

Some memorable teachers there :-)

LJS (Sheers) took Humanities and the Cricket & Rugby teams, aswell as catching or ducking board rubbers, we got to watch test matches during lunch and he even organised an cricket tour to London, playing a couple of his old schools. It must have been ‘76 as the World Cup was on without England!

Happy also to recall....

Pat Harvey (Maths)
Mrs (Edith Piaf) Fowles for French alongside Jack As(tbury)
Di Randall & Miss Barker (ex CH Girls School) for Classics, being terrorised by the class.
Mr Wilson (History)
Mr Banks for Geography?

LJS (Sheers) took Humanities and the Cricket & Rugby teams, aswell as catching or ducking board rubbers, we got to watch test matches during lunch and he even organised an cricket tour to London, playing a couple of his old schools. It must have been ‘76 as the World Cup was on without England!

Happy also to recall....

Pat Harvey (Maths)
Di Randall & Miss Barker (ex CH Girls School) for Classics, being terrorised by the class.
Mr Wilson (History)
Mr Banks for Geography?

I sincerely doubt it was '76 if it was a world cup year, possibly '74 or '78?

Happy also to recall....

Pat Harvey (Maths)
Mr Wilson (History)
Mr Banks for Geography?

All after my time!!

When I was at Lincoln School it used to be the Bull and Chain we drank in. It is now houses I believe. I remember drinking in there on my 16th birthday. The landlady got on to me when I ordered my fourth pint saying I shouldn't be drinking so much at my age. But when I replied truthfully that ' I know but I am the oldest one in here'. She decided to leave me alone.
That would be the indomitable Myrtle (and Ron).

Possibly it would have been 1971 i can't remember her name,I know her son was often the wrong side of the bar. I was at Lincoln SChool from 66 to 72 , the Imp was my local but frequented the Bull and Chain from around 70 till 74.

I remember there being a landlord there called Harold Wilson, in the days when Harold Wilson was Prime Minister

Russell Crick 5 resx.jpeg

Technically I have been in Exile from circa '86/'87, but gone the whole hog of late. Unfortunately its proving difficult to listen/watch matches particulary midweek. However, spreading the gospel in Abu Dhabi.

Happy also to recall....

Pat Harvey (Maths)
Mr Wilson (History)
Mr Banks for Geography?

Miss Randall was still being terrorised in 1983, although I always tried to stand up for her in our Latin class.

Mrs Fowles was horrendous and hated children, but I got on well with Mr Astbury who helped get me a ‘C’ in O’level French.

Others who stood out more favourably were Fred Green - who somehow got a poor school footie team to a Cup Final at Sinny Bank in 85’ (which we lost 0-2 to Cherry Willingham despite dominating - I hit the post at the Railway End) and Mr Scully, our Spanish teacher.

Last edited:
Charming old buffer was Bunny Baker, lived pretty much opposite the school entrance, on Wragby Road. On the other hand, Jim Howie was a psycho!

Mr Howie, that’s the chap - he almost broke Richard McGuinness in two (demonstrating a tackle) during a Rugby games session, he was that angry. We all gasped in horror at the severity of it … I think he actually scared himself for a moment.

Mr Howie, that’s the chap - he almost broke Richard McGuinness in two (demonstrating a tackle) during a Rugby games session, he was that angry. We all gasped in horror at the severity of it … I think he actually scared himself for a moment.
Ex para, apparently broke his back in a parachute accident but managed to fully recover. Absolute psychopath, not a man to upset or get wrong side off. Once through a desk across the room in the general direction of a lad who had upset him. But in the late sixties he could get away with that.
But us pupils weren't much better. We had a young physics teacher called Godbolt. Nice man but very weak, never should have been in charge of about 30 14 year old lads. We used to have acid spray bottles on our desks for experiments . Every time he walked passed anyone they sprayed the back of his jacket without him knowing. At the end of the lesson his jacket disintegrated down the back.
I cringe now at the thought of what evil little bastards we were.