Imps in Exile | Page 19 | Vital Football

Imps in Exile

Yes very good friend of mine, still in touch with him. Went to Fosse Way school with him but after that he went to Rob Patt and I went across the road to NK. Emigrated to Australia and ended up playing as a full international including World Cup qualifiers. Played against England...that game is on YouTube.

I'm pretty sure he also played against City for Morecambe in F.A. Cup match in the 70s

It needs someone like @Merthyr Imp to confirm that though

I am friends with John Johnson who was the Morecambe player manager that day next time I see him I will ask him if this guy was in his Morecambe team that day.

Yes he did play against us and if memory serves me correctly we won 1-0. He had previously been at Preston where I think Bobby Charlton was their manager.

I'm pretty sure he also played against City for Morecambe in F.A. Cup match in the 70s

It needs someone like @Merthyr Imp to confirm that though
I can partly answer your query- Someone called Wzendoorn did play for Morecambe that day,on 20th Nov. 76.

His name was John Yzendoorn. The spelling error is in Rothmans for that year.

He appears to have briefly returned to Lincoln after Preston as it seems he played a few games for the youth team in 1974-75. Report is from the programme vs. Northampton on 14 September 1974.

Yes very good friend of mine, still in touch with him. Went to Fosse Way school with him but after that he went to Rob Patt and I went across the road to NK. Emigrated to Australia and ended up playing as a full international including World Cup qualifiers. Played against England...that game is on YouTube.

Incredible. I had one of the most bizarre moments on a football pitch relating to John.
I also played out in Australia and we were playing the Australian national team in a warm up game, they were playing Mexico at the SCG the following weekend.When we were out on the pitch before the game doing our warm up the stadium announcer was reading out the names as they do he said the name John Yzendorn in the Australian team. Instantly a little alarm went off in my head and I thought I knew the name because it was unusual but surely it wasn't the John Yzendorn from Robert Patt.
Anyway we were minutes from kick off but I thought I'm going to have to go and ask him if it was him. Luckily enough he was fairly close to the halfway line so I ran over quickly and asked him and he to my utter surprise he confirmed that yes it was him.
I told him that I also attended Robert Patt but we really didnt have that much time to talk and they were straight off after the game. So there we were 2 lads on the same football pitch half way round the world who both went to Robert Patt School.
John went on to have a problem with National Coach who was German, Rudi Guttendorf. I think there were a few of the squad who didnt like him but there was an incident involving john that made sure he never played for the Socceroos again.
I went along to the game against Mexico at the SCG and I think John actually scored in the game.

He is presumably in this Morecambe team photo that appeared in the FA Cup match programme (no caption to it).

In the accompanying notes it states: "Yzendoorn signed professional for Preston in 1973 but left a year later to join Lancaster City. Morecambe signed him this season [1976/77] and he has impressed with his good tackling and overlapping."

Maurice Burton in his Football Echo match report included the following: "Yzendoorn, who spent 11 years as a lad living in the Lincoln area, was obviously enjoying the match, working hard, and helping to create Morecambe's first real opening after 18 minutes."

He gets two or three other mentions in the report, including an occasion when Dave Smith took him on and beat him (he certainly wasn't the only right back ever to suffer that), and "with five minutes left Yzendoorn could have equalised with a great cross shot which Grotier did well to save."Morecambe.jpg

He is presumably in this Morecambe team photo that appeared in the FA Cup match programme (no caption to it).

In the accompanying notes it states: "Yzendoorn signed professional for Preston in 1973 but left a year later to join Lancaster City. Morecambe signed him this season [1976/77] and he has impressed with his good tackling and overlapping."

Maurice Burton in his Football Echo match report included the following: "Yzendoorn, who spent 11 years as a lad living in the Lincoln area, was obviously enjoying the match, working hard, and helping to create Morecambe's first real opening after 18 minutes."

He gets two or three other mentions in the report, including an occasion when Dave Smith took him on and beat him (he certainly wasn't the only right back ever to suffer that), and "with five minutes left Yzendoorn could have equalised with a great cross shot which Grotier did well to save."View attachment 45290

John is 3rd from the right on the bottom row.....

Incredible. I had one of the most bizarre moments on a football pitch relating to John.
I also played out in Australia and we were playing the Australian national team in a warm up game, they were playing Mexico at the SCG the following weekend.When we were out on the pitch before the game doing our warm up the stadium announcer was reading out the names as they do he said the name John Yzendorn in the Australian team. Instantly a little alarm went off in my head and I thought I knew the name because it was unusual but surely it wasn't the John Yzendorn from Robert Patt.
Anyway we were minutes from kick off but I thought I'm going to have to go and ask him if it was him. Luckily enough he was fairly close to the halfway line so I ran over quickly and asked him and he to my utter surprise he confirmed that yes it was him.
I told him that I also attended Robert Patt but we really didnt have that much time to talk and they were straight off after the game. So there we were 2 lads on the same football pitch half way round the world who both went to Robert Patt School.
John went on to have a problem with National Coach who was German, Rudi Guttendorf. I think there were a few of the squad who didnt like him but there was an incident involving john that made sure he never played for the Socceroos again.
I went along to the game against Mexico at the SCG and I think John actually scored in the game.

That is amazing, what a great story. I’ll mention it to John when I next speak to him. I’m fairly confident he’ll remember.

That is amazing, what a great story. I’ll mention it to John when I next speak to him. I’m fairly confident he’ll remember.

He'll certainly remember the game against Mexico as I'm pretty sure he scored.
The game we played in was at the St George Stadium in Sydney.
Was in 1980 I think.

Although I didn't play for the school first team, I was around the same age as Steve Adlard who played in goal for the City school. And yes, I remember Howie - Maths and Head of PE. Also remember "Bunny" Baker, who took us for RE at some stage

Other football related, I've posted before that Benny Williams -again a similar age - was at our school and played for Lincoln United, and Grimsby a couple of times. And also a year older than me at St Giles Juniors was Phil Hubbard, who lived round the corner, and passed down a pair of his footy boots to me
Charming old buffer was Bunny Baker, lived pretty much opposite the school entrance, on Wragby Road. On the other hand, Jim Howie was a psycho!

Last edited:
I went there, after it became a comp. Started in 75. I remember Howie. I also remember Bob Jonno and Milne's for PE and games. Miss Miller for Music (Bohemian Rhapsody always brings her to mind), Pullman for DT, Green for Chemistry, little Mr Green for Biology, Mrs Smith for German, Sturman (Trout) for English, Rollins for History, Harris for Maths, Riley for Physics,

And too many more that slip my mind at the moment...

LCHS 1974
Bob "if you do that, I gonna thump you" Jonno - drove a Beetle.
Biology, Green -"hmmm"
French, Astbury - 15 minutes late to every glass and started with "wo sind die Blumen" or "did anyone see Doncaster Rovers won on Saturday?"
History, Les Sheers - Wimbledon fan and thrower of chalk and chalk board erasers.

LCHS 1974
Bob "if you do that, I gonna thump you" Jonno - drove a Beetle.
Biology, Green -"hmmm"
French, Astbury - 15 minutes late to every glass and started with "wo sind die Blumen" or "did anyone see Doncaster Rovers won on Saturday?"
History, Les Sheers - Wimbledon fan and thrower of chalk and chalk board erasers.

Astbury was my Form Master in the 6th Form - always found him a decent bloke. Interestingly didn't know he was a Donny Rovers fan. I remember "Hoss" Andrews (History) supported Southampton

Above the chalk and blackboard rubber throwers was Wells-Cole. He'd lift the lid of the desk up - boy had to put his head in the desk - W-C brought lid of desk down on boy's head.

All our yesterdays, some good memories coming out on here.
I think there's only RobtheImp and me from William Robertson on here, and our time didn't overlap. I did bump into a few classmates at the games occasionally years ago, but not aware of any on here.