Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers, Sat. 16th October, 3pm ko | Page 31 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers, Sat. 16th October, 3pm ko

Apart from us giving the ball at the very start and a dangerous Roadrunner run and shot, I can’t recall any shots for 80 mins. They had a couple of corners in the build up play but Axel was their most creative player going forward.
I thought they started to cause us problems after our first goal so our second should have put a stop to that. But it didn’t and games don’t end after 80 minutes, there’s another 15 minutes left and we were blitzed, kept passing it back to them, losing possession easily and giving needless fouls away. They kept getting to both bylines and we couldn’t gain any useful control of the ball. I think most people in the ground knew what was coming including our players regrettably. That’s not smash and grab for me.

Axel looked even worse on MOTD than during the game, almost every highlight involving a Wolves attack has Axel looking like an amateur. Shocking performance, one of the worst I’ve ever seen from a defender in our colours and that’s no exaggeration
Also highlighted Watkins and Ings switching off, and as said before no out ball from the corners. Smith I'm sure said Arsenal won't ping the ball into our area from wide like wolves did. Not so sure about that!

Exactly this. Ings, although a terrific player, is not the signing we needed and if anything has totally de-railed our plans for the season. To accommodate him you have to do one of the following:

1. Stay with 3-5-2 and play Ings and Watkins. However this formation as we saw yesterday is prone to defensive mishaps and means that Bailey and Traore, arguably our 2 most dangerous players, will struggle to get into the starting lineup.
2. Play 4-4-2 with Ings and Watkins up top. Again I don't think this will work as our midfield would be totally exposed.
3. Go back to 4-3-3 and drop Watkins and play Ings as a lone striker. This is probably my go to option, however this it at the cost of dropping Watkins which we know Smith will be reluctant to do, or playing him on the wing which, again, Smith would not be keen on.

I think that with Traore and Bailey both out we will be sticking with 3-5-2. Personally I would revert back to 4-3-3 with Ings up top and JPB and AEG on the wings.
Trouble is Ings cant do the closing down that Watkins does. Yesterday they were both stranded upfield or back 'defending' wolves corners.

I thought they started to cause us problems after our first goal so our second should have put a stop to that. But it didn’t and games don’t end after 80 minutes, there’s another 15 minutes left and we were blitzed, kept passing it back to them, losing possession easily and giving needless fouls away. They kept getting to both bylines and we couldn’t gain any useful control of the ball. I think most people in the ground knew what was coming including our players regrettably. That’s not smash and grab for me.
Yep, they were on top for the last 25 mins after we scored the first they ran us ragged because they were behind and had nothing to lose.

This seasons scapegoat is 352 because 433 has worked so well for us erm never

352 can only work with two wing backs and we only had one playing yesterday. Aren’t Konza and Mings good enough to control the central attacks? Thus allowing a winger, I wanted to see Bidace come on and give them some pace and something different to think about. And Cash and Targett can still forage upfield you know!

Comes to something when after another poor performance like that means I have to keep away from the radio, MOTD and social media over the whole weekend as I can't stand to hear the club being slagged off by these pundits and see the way other fans gloat and stick the knife in.

Oh well, Up The Villa;):grinning:

352 can only work with two wing backs and we only had one playing yesterday. Aren’t Konza and Mings good enough to control the central attacks? Thus allowing a winger, I wanted to see Bidace come on and give them some pace and something different to think about. And Cash and Targett can still forage upfield you know!

Proper lopsided with Cash virtually a winger and Targett a left-back. Targett is too flat-footed to play as a winger and Cash although he gets forwards is basically a championship midfielder made good.
I don't know the answer but 433 isn't it either, as we've seen and moaned about our CF being isolated for years , Perhaps a front 3 od Watkins Ings and Bailey may work but to do that Dean has to shift Ollie wider

“fragile under pressure.” That’s what I read in one report this morning. It was a problem last season when we conceded late goals and it hasn’t improved judging by yesterday’s exhibition of wet hens in a thunderstorm. Stupid short passes to players surrounded by opposition players on the edge of our box, defenders ball watching and not tracking runners, the list of errors grows longer. It’s not helped by the midfield not providing a shielding presence and watching in bewilderment as a Wolves player goes on a mazy run and fires a shot away that could have easily gone in with a bit more composure. I’m probably swimming against the current here but when we were looking at our priorities for strengthening in the summer I thought we needed a dominant midfield presence like Bissouma and a powerful centre half. I still think so.

But it happens more to us than it does to anyone else.
It seems to always have done. Remember the fa cup loss to man u. Two nil up on 78 mins and coasting ,end up losing in the, you've guessed it, last minute! Or the Spurs league game in the mid 80's...two nil up, they go down to 10 men....and win 3-2! Smith is only following tradition 😏

It seems to always have done. Remember the fa cup loss to man u. Two nil up on 78 mins and coasting ,end up losing in the, you've guessed it, last minute! Or the Spurs league game in the mid 80's...two nil up, they go down to 10 men....and win 3-2! Smith is only following tradition 😏
Pretty sure Bolton of all teams did it to us a few years ago too.

“fragile under pressure.” That’s what I read in one report this morning. It was a problem last season when we conceded late goals and it hasn’t improved judging by yesterday’s exhibition of wet hens in a thunderstorm. Stupid short passes to players surrounded by opposition players on the edge of our box, defenders ball watching and not tracking runners, the list of errors grows longer. It’s not helped by the midfield not providing a shielding presence and watching in bewilderment as a Wolves player goes on a mazy run and fires a shot away that could have easily gone in with a bit more composure. I’m probably swimming against the current here but when we were looking at our priorities for strengthening in the summer I thought we needed a dominant midfield presence like Bissouma and a powerful centre half. I still think so.
Totally. Leeds look about half the team without Phillips. It's that sort of presence we need alongside the likes of Mcginn.

Well we are supposed to be moving forward season by season. Yesterday was hardly moving forward ! I've been a defender of Dean Smith but it's his team and his players and results like yesterday should be a thing of the past !!

Also 4-1 up home v Leicsster under Sir Brian. Drew 4-4.
Remember that ,Tommy Johnson throwing up in the centre circle before kick off, Mark Draper, before we signed him, deciding to take the ball for a stroll for what seemed like 5 minutes without being tackled. If Leicester would of had Fergie time they'd of won that day. Think that was the beginning of the end for Sir Brian after that result.

Said at the time Ings was a total panic buy and timed to deflect attention from Joe going up the M6. £30m plus £6m signing on fee and £150k a week is a waste of vital funds , no wonder we weren't buying any others after that. Total waste

Majority of people on here were calling for us to sign another striker and Ings is probably better than most would have expected. The problem for me is playing 2 up front together as it weakens us in the middle