The Summer 2021 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 294 | Vital Football

The Summer 2021 Transfer Rumour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree completely, but we really are lacking a leader in midfield.

Same players as last season, and we managed then. The key to this season is that we seem to be a much better balanced squad. If the defence and the attack do their job, we'll be OK with our midfield. If we have rubbish team selections as against Watford then we won't be OK.

One thing I'm really getting fed up of is people moaning about our Net Spend.

Like there's a direct correlation between spending money and winning matches. It all just sounds a bit childish tantrum fifa manager nonsense to me.

Have people forgotten the summer of 2015? Gueye, Veretout, Amavi, Gestede, Traore, Lescott, Ayew, Sinclair.

We spent a fortune by standards back then.... But we spent it on players who were just not up to the task and we finished rock bottom.

I have no doubt the money is there to be spent. Nas and Wes have given us no reason to doubt them on that score.

The thing I'm loving though is we're not just wasting it willy nilly to appease a few fans who think net spend is everything.

Smith probably has two or three targets in mind and if he doesn't get them he'll be patient and wait until he can or until he identifies someone else he feels is suitable.

We won't just buy for the sake of it and personally I love that.
Exactly. We've just sold one player for £100 - of course we're not going to have a high net spend!

Our main targets it seems turned us down.

One or two of them possibly? But not all of them. I'd say Buendia, Ings and Bailey were all 'main targets'.

I don't think any club ever gets all of their main targets in one window. Sometimes patience is needed. Liverpool and van Dijk is the best example of this I can highlight.

I'd much rather patience than panic buying.

Buendia signed didn't he. Wasn't he the main target?
Jack was staying when he signed, then the goalposts moved. We'd signed 2 players very early on and were getting credit from opposition fans for the early business whilst their clubs dithered.
I'm not saying spend money for the sake of it but was 30m for Buendia all we were going to spend? Can you imagine if JG was still here and we'd only bought one player and a freebie? (as the target is Europe don't forget)
We've allegedly targeted 2 midfielders ESR and JWP and got neither so it's pretty much a sure thing we want a midfielder, Now have those two turned us down because they feel their own clubs have as much chance of Europe as us without JG?
We don't know but it's possible

Love how much progress we must have made for us to be upset with Buendia, Bailey, Ings and Young in one transfer window.

Entitled? Us?

I call it petulance. Petulance from people who think we have a divine right to go from a mid table Championship team to Champions League challengers in 4 years.

A lot of Veruca Salts on here. I want an umpah lumpah NOW daddy!!!

No patience or appreciation of how far we've come in such a short space of time.

We need to have a talisman player. Either by buying one or one stepping from the group. We lost our talisman.

Should be Buendia really. Huge pressure on him I think. Different being the main man at Villa than it is at Norwich in the championship

Smith-Rowe would have been a great signing no matter what happened with Grealish but it was always a long shot. As far as they've fallen Arsenal can still pay big wages and the player himself was never getting a move to the likes of man city, Chelsea or Liverpool just yet so he and his agent have probably made the right move. Stick with Arsenal, become the star there and in a couple of years he'll be off for 100m. A move to us would have been risky even if you know who had stayed.

As for JWP I really didn't care if we got him. He's never stood out to me and the prices that were being talked off were quite frankly ridiculous. As far as I'm concerned Southampton have saved us from being mugged off.

I'd love another midfielder in, particularly a strong, all action type. We probably need to move a couple out though, not necessarily for financial reasons but squad size. Hourihane should be moved on and if it wasn't for his injury Trez should have been as well. We've had the same situation with Davis and now we probably will be at least delayed in loaning/selling Wesley due to Ollies injury.

Its been a very up and down summer with some exciting players coming in and a few negatives that at the end of the day we're unable to control.

We need to have a talisman player. Either by buying one or one stepping from the group. We lost our talisman.

Should be Buendia really. Huge pressure on him I think. Different being the main man at Villa than it is at Norwich in the championship

I think it'll be Bailey personally. He's seems to have that cocky personality that the fans will love. From everything I've seen he's an explosive player.

There's definitely an opening for a new hero though. Its up to them to grasp it. Personally I'd love someone like Chukwuemeka, JPB or one of the Ramsey brothers to step up over the next year or so.

That was the problem of inheriting the number 10 shirt, the younger PlayStation generation sees it as a status, almost the wearer has to be the best player in the team.
Big pressure on the lad and there shouldn't be. I'm hoping for a decent season but I don't see it happening without JG, I'd love to be wrong of course but.....

Don’t know why people are getting their knickers in a twist about CSR and JWP not signing or ‘turning us down’.

Who said we were even in for them? . Anyone at he club ? . Nope. Or the people that were all over the Ings transfer ….oh….hang on.

People are just using the….err….fact :lol:…that we we were in for them and didn’t get them to fit their narrative to dis the club.

Last edited:

Plenty of candidates given time. Ollie, Bailey, Buendia, Chuk. I have confidence one of them will be off to Man City for £120 million soon enough. :whist:

We don't need a talisman player. We need 11 talisman players. There's a difference. Having one standout player isn't much good if you're aiming for the top 6. It's a team game.

Love how much progress we must have made for us to be upset with Buendia, Bailey, Ings and Young in one transfer window.

Entitled? Us?

I don't think anyone is upset or "being a melt" but it's pretty clear now that although we have half a dozen players who can play in midfield they're mostly pretty average at this level and we don't have a single player there who is a standout in the way we could all pick standout players in defence and up front.

Someone mentioned a "talisman" player and that kind of player in midfield would transform this team imo.

Whether that's JWP or not I don't know but £40-50m is the level of player I'd like to put in the middle of the players we do have.

We need a boss - it could be Bissouma - 18 months left on his contract, 24 years old, some player.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.