Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news | Page 107 | Vital Football

Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news

Wigan Athletic boss Leam Richardson would like to add up to six more players to his squad before the transfer window closes next month.
And he has revealed the areas he intends to strengthen to increase cover and competition - the centre of defence and the heart of midfield.

He said: "Our squad is still very light, we've made some quality signings, in my opinion we need five or six more to be competitive in every game.

"With our depth, I think people can see at the top end of the pitch we look okay, we've plenty of competition for places and in the wide areas.
"It's the central areas - central defence, cover at the back, centre midfield. In a normal campaign it's testing and taxing.

"Throw Covid in there as well, you are going to need depth in numbers otherwise once the window's closed, you'll be found wanting.
"We're going to need more if we are to be competitive in every game."

he threat of Covid was evident on Saturday when two of his players were unavailable for selection because they were self-isolating.

From the Weekly rugby Post

This is interesting. Just some days ago he said "we need 6 or 7 more signings". In the middle, Long and Smith played well and Watts and Jones joined... And the number is still 6 LOL. I guess he found new holes in the ship?

This is silly and I may have mentioned it before but I'm feeling a bit sad about Blackett-Taylor.

All, in response to Arthur's request (poor bugger, having work to do 😉), I've created a new thread in Off Topic.

I suggest if anyone wants to reply to posts in this thread, then start the reply as normal, but then cut and paste it into a new post over in the new thread.

👍

Folks down Stoke way reckon McClean is joining on a free rather than on loan - anyone heard anything to corroborate up here?

Folks down Stoke way reckon McClean is joining on a free rather than on loan - anyone heard anything to corroborate up here?

I expected that would likely be the case.

He only has a year left on his contract and will be on big money, if they want to send him on loan they will have to pick up a large part of his wages and with that comes things like national insurance contributions, etc that they would want to avoid paying to a player they have no interest in using.

So for Stoke trying to negotiate a pay off for him to go on a free now and it will probably cost them a lot but it will cost less than him staying on their books until the end of his deal, even if out on loan.

All, in response to Arthur's request (poor bugger, having work to do 😉), I've created a new thread in Off Topic.

I suggest if anyone wants to reply to posts in this thread, then start the reply as normal, but then cut and paste it into a new post over in the new thread.

👍

Thank you Moonay, much appreciated.
That's my precious lunch hour fucked moving that lot, I'm bound to have moved some in error and missed others, let me know if you can be arsed.
Could I possibly ask some of the posters who (like me) don't like to see threads go too far off topic to DM me when there's one spawning. I'm not talking about Alerting, just message me as I'll get an email which will prompt me to stop doing important stuff and come on here to do admin !

Isn't that article just a re-hash of one from last week...with updated parts to reflect Saturday's game and players self-isolating? Not sure we need another 5/6, with the right quality 3 and strengthening in right areas, 3 or 4 may do the job
Save the signings untill the present squad get used to Cookys brand of football. Will have a proper idea in January.

If we count McClean as being in, and Richardson want's up to 5 more. We are definitely looking at:

1 right back
1 centre back
1 central mid

Unless he really doesn't fancy Long or Robinson and wants to replace them then i can't see us signing any more defenders or midfielders after that.

So for the final 2 signings he has in mind maybe:
1 back up striker
1 third choice keeper

Isn't that article just a re-hash of one from last week...with updated parts to reflect Saturday's game and players self-isolating? Not sure we need another 5/6, with the right quality 3 and strengthening in right areas, 3 or 4 may do the job
Oh I feel dumb now that's what I get for only checking headlines.
If we count McClean as being in, and Richardson want's up to 5 more. We are definitely looking at:

1 right back
1 centre back
1 central mid

Unless he really doesn't fancy Long or Robinson and wants to replace them then i can't see us signing any more defenders or midfielders after that.

So for the final 2 signings he has in mind maybe:
1 back up striker
1 third choice keeper

Well, if he won't play Robinson then I reckon McClean will play in his place... honestly the squad looks a bit messy now I'm not sure what sort of player could be needed haha but a third keeper is hardly a reinforcement I hope that ain't it.

It's odd that the Fraser link was so strong and yet no one of his profile joined tbh.
Edit: and with Lang and Keane that's 4 players that can play up front... So if it's not someone that can bring something different (a Target Man as you've mentioned in the past) I'm not sure I see it.

Also edit: well if the story is old then it's Jones/Watts/McClean and 3/4 more players not 5.

Last edited:
Can't Jones play in that position (along with Keane, Lang and Aasgaard)?
Unless transfermarkt is fucking up he played around 1/10 of his games there... Which is much less reliable than say, Naylor at CB haha.

I'm aware all of them (and technically Humphrys in some systems?) can play there and yet we still approached Fraser, so it's not a very good argument. Only Keane and maybe Aasgaard fit the profile.

I know what River Plate means as it did seem like we were chasing Fraser hard but didn't sign a like for like alternative.

But we've got so many players who can potentially play as no10, i can't see us looking at another one.

I was looking at McCleans record and while he has played left back on occasion, he's very rarely done so. So buying him to be a left back might bit a bit risky. Also is he a better left back than Pearce? I'm not convinced. I'm still a bit unsure of what our vision is with this one.

If it's an old interview that would make more sense if Watts, Jones and McClean were 3 of the 7.

Sounds like a pitch presentation for him tonight. Something for the fans to enjoy.

One year with an option for two sounds sensible as long as it's not a Massey situation where the player can trigger that extra year without needing the club to agree.

Last edited by a moderator: