The Danny Ings Thread | Page 12 | Vital Football

The Danny Ings Thread

I don’t see Ings going wide at 29, and the way he can operate in tight spaces on the edge of the box with intricate touches to link up the play to me means he’s more suited to staying central. Whilst I’m a big Ollie fan, his feet aren’t as intricate as Ings, so it’s probably better he moves out wide where his pace and strength (& looser touch) can be used to good effect to let Ings play within the width of the box and get on the end of crosses.

I don’t see Ollie playing in the J*ck position on the left wing, I see him more as a left inside forward.

The three in midfield for us this season will have to work hard to cover the space left behind Ollie. J*ck worked hard on getting back into shape despite what the pundits would tell you, our central 3 were overrun and outrun far too many times for my liking last season. Whilst we look on paper to have a more balanced attacking line up, the watch out for me is how the three in the middle perform.

I’m obviously posting on the basis Deano sticks with a 4-3-3, or variation of it.

Last edited:
I'm genuinely intrigued to see what system we will set up with. Watkins had a very successful season down the middle IMO and with more luck he would have scored around 20 league goals.

Whilst Watkins has played on the left before I prefer him up top. Does this mean two up front or is Smith going more for fluid front three (sort of like Liverpool?).

We still need more quality in behind the attacking line IMO but seeing us transit away from essentially being a one man team where virtually everything flows through Grealish will be an interesting one.

With our collection of wingers I can not see Deano going 352. Still think he'll stick with the 433 or 4231 approach. I'd guess he's trying to get a fluid front 3, which for me would make us far more dangerous.

I suspect it’ll be a fluid 4-4-1-1. This is similar to what we played with Barkley in the early days of last season. Give licence to the “10” to run in behind as Oli makes space with his, frankly, insane number of outlet runs.

With Oli, Danny, Emi m.2, that’s some high quality pressing too.

I suspect it’ll be a fluid 4-4-1-1. This is similar to what we played with Barkley in the early days of last season. Give licence to the “10” to run in behind as Oli makes space with his, frankly, insane number of outlet runs.

With Oli, Danny, Emi m.2, that’s some high quality pressing too.

I fully expect his back to 4-3-3 with Buendia and McGinn playing as 8s. Thats Deanos preferred formation.

Only saw the highlights but looks like the player I thought we'd be getting, a very sharp and intelligent striker. Works well in very tight spaces as well. Looking forward to seeing what he will do for us.

Just watching the highlights myself, he's so sharp.

I always said Watkins isnt a natural finisher or goalscorer but his desire to score and his hard work is worth 10 goals.

Ings though jesus everything he does is with an eye on goal. Lethal.

Just watching the highlights myself, he's so sharp.

I always said Watkins isnt a natural finisher or goalscorer but his desire to score and his hard work is worth 10 goals.

Ings though jesus everything he does is with an eye on goal. Lethal.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was part Italian - he's got the build and the "look". Everything looks instinctive but is obviously thought about and well practiced in his mind's eye, a classic CF IMO.

I fully expect his back to 4-3-3 with Buendia and McGinn playing as 8s. Thats Deanos preferred formation.

Buendia played every game for Norwich on the right last season, never 10 or 8. Danny Ings played 9/10 for Southampton, occationally did the odd job for them on the left. Olly played 9 the whole of the last 2 seasons.

We haven't exactly had the best preseason, so trying to bed them all in with 0 minutes on pitch together and with 2/3 of them in unfamiliar or new position is, imho, messy and asking for trouble. We might see 4-3-3 later on in the season but it's a way off.

That's why I think it'll be a 4-4-1-1/4-2-3-1 with Ings in at second striker/10. It fits those 3 most appropriately. Also allow us to bring in Bailey on the left when he's up to speed. While he says he prefers the right, and people seem to think he'll play there, he played most games for Leverkusen the left.

Thing is we know Deano likes opposing wing forwards, i.e. left-footed on the right and vice versa.

True. And he likes 4-3-3, like CDX says. But all I'm saying is that requires time to adapt multiple players games to fit this and, unfortunately, they haven't been through the door long and our preseason has been far from ideal.

If Buendia, Ings, Bailey and Watkins are all starters, then it'll be a while before we see 4-3-3 me thinks.

True. And he likes 4-3-3, like CDX says. But all I'm saying is that requires time to adapt multiple players games to fit this and, unfortunately, they haven't been through the door long and our preseason has been far from ideal.

If Buendia, Ings, Bailey and Watkins are all starters, then it'll be a while before we see 4-3-3 me thinks.
I don't know mate. They're top level professional footballers in 2021 who have all played multiple positions in matches and in training, so if they don't know how to play a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 then I'd question what they're doing with their lives.

I don't know mate. They're top level professional footballers in 2021 who have all played multiple positions in matches and in training, so if they don't know how to play a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 then I'd question what they're doing with their lives.
Ha! Maybe you're right. However I doubt Dean would force a 4-3-3 during an adaptation period when we have two formations ready and there that we played last year which they slot in to.

Last edited:
Only saw the highlights but looks like the player I thought we'd be getting, a very sharp and intelligent striker. Works well in very tight spaces as well. Looking forward to seeing what he will do for us.

Fox in the box isn't he? He showed it with his goal yesterday sniffing out the bit of space as you say. We haven't had this type of striker since Bent but he flopped. Ings seems to have a better all round game and is quite handy from just outside the box too. Such a good signing.

Fox in the box isn't he? He showed it with his goal yesterday sniffing out the bit of space as you say. We haven't had this type of striker since Bent but he flopped. Ings seems to have a better all round game and is quite handy from just outside the box too. Such a good signing.
Yeah, Bent wouldn't have survived a Hassenhutl side with all the pressing they're asked to do*.

*Shame it only ever works for half the season.

Does anyone have any stats for Watkins missing expected goals or hitting the post? I'm sure he hit the post/crossbar a lot last season.

Just had a positive thought, that if Watkins goal contributions can be the same as last season (or better), and Ings can recover the rest, plus add his own.....that's a serious amount of goals.

Real instinctual goal wasn't it yesterday. Rather than waiting for it to arrive on a plate, he made a decision to move into a place he expected the ball to land. Can't coach that. Thought it was great.

Does anyone have any stats for Watkins missing expected goals or hitting the post? I'm sure he hit the post/crossbar a lot last season.

Just had a positive thought, that if Watkins goal contributions can be the same as last season (or better), and Ings can recover the rest, plus add his own.....that's a serious amount of goals.

The post was hit at least 5 times from memory, 3/4 chalked off for dodgy offsides wasn't it.