Good Morning Thread | Page 347 | Vital Football

Good Morning Thread

I did my good deed today and contributed £ 15 to the Mind Charity. I went into one of their charity shops and spotted a large 1960s teak mirror hidden behind some crap ones. No price on it. I asked how much....£ 15 the old lady said.
I walked away with a mirror worth £ 150 and helped a charity.
Earlier I picked up 2 King George VI folding directors chairs, possibly military or Royal use. Stamped GR VI with a crown. Very rare. £ 10 each, worth over £ 100 each. Date to 1940s/ 50s, possibly WW2.
Later I'm picking up a van load of mid century teak furniture from an old lady, I'm paying her asking price, not even bidding her.

Nick , you certainly are a weird one , let alone a wrong un .

you pipe up about helping a charity by paying £15 for a mirror you know to be worth ten times that amount .
If you were serious about helping the charity , why not help them properly by spending a bit of time with them and valuing the goods for them so that they may get a bit more for their hard work and a great cause , and then offering three times what you paid as a great gesture .

I’m not sure how you think you were helping Mind .

Morning all ,

we were talking the other day about weird phrases people use ,
My dear old nan and grandad had a few .

When dark clouds came over , they were said to be as “ black as Newgates Knocker “

When they were blowing away , it was
“ looking better over Wilf’s Mothers “

When an argument couldn’t be won if was classed as “ six of one , half a dozen of the other “
If me and my sister were arguing , my Nan would threaten to “ knock us into the middle of next week “ if we didn’t calm down .
One of my mums favourites was , “ put that in your pipe and smoke it “ when she was sorting out a bit of confusion about who was right or wrong .

weird ennit .
Take care , look after each other

Morning all ,

When dark clouds came over , they were said to be as “ black as Newgates Knocker “

When an argument couldn’t be won if was classed as “ six of one , half a dozen of the other “
If me and my sister were arguing , my Nan would threaten to “ knock us into the middle of next week “ if we didn’t calm down .
One of my mums favourites was , “ put that in your pipe and smoke it “ when she was sorting out a bit of confusion about who was right or wrong .

weird ennit .
My mother had an old saying as well. 'If you don't do as i bloody tell yer i'll give you a whack.'

Nick , you certainly are a weird one , let alone a wrong un .

you pipe up about helping a charity by paying £15 for a mirror you know to be worth ten times that amount .
If you were serious about helping the charity , why not help them properly by spending a bit of time with them and valuing the goods for them so that they may get a bit more for their hard work and a great cause , and then offering three times what you paid as a great gesture .

I’m not sure how you think you were helping Mind .

The mirror was buried in a stack, covered in dust and unpriced. So it was my own expertise that contributed the £ 15 to their coffers, who knows how long it would have sat there uncovered ?
I had travelled to Hinkley in Leicestershire to collect something else and was being an opportunist while in the area.
For sure I could earn charities a lot more money but I would need paying for my time. There are plenty of people earning a living out of charities, the shop ms
Everything else in the shop was either undesirable or too expensive so there was little else I could have advised them on.
If I was financially secure I would donate money back into charities but I'm barely surviving at the moment.
There are plenty of people earning a living out of charities including the shop managers, administration staff in head offices etc.
If you like you can tout me around the charities as an advisor/ appraiser. I will charge a small fee for each item. Then you can feel really good about yourself knowing you introduced me and have earned them more money !!

Last edited:
As long as your thong is on the right side of your jeans you're OK.
Morning 80, talking of thongs, ask Mrs PY what occurred when I put a thong of hers on, her quote, whats going on all I can see is a ball either side, as you can guess a thong never to be worn again by either of us lol!

Morning all ,

weird ennit .
Morning Walt, them quotes were probably said to most of us old uns lol, quickly thinking, what about....its raining over uncle Toms, mmmm! weird.

The mirror was buried in a stack, covered in dust and unpriced. So it was my own expertise that contributed the £ 15 to their coffers, who knows how long it would have sat there uncovered ?
I had travelled to Hinkley in Leicestershire to collect something else and was being an opportunist while in the area.
For sure I could earn charities a lot more money but I would need paying for my time. There are plenty of people earning a living out of charities, the shop ms
Everything else in the shop was either undesirable or too expensive so there was little else I could have advised them on.
If I was financially secure I would donate money back into charities but I'm barely surviving at the moment.
There are plenty of people earning a living out of charities including the shop managers, administration staff in head offices etc.
If you like you can tout me around the charities as an advisor/ appraiser. I will charge a small fee for each item. Then you can feel really good about yourself knowing you introduced me and gave earned them more money !!
That’s not what I was on about and you know it .

If you like you can tout me around the charities as an advisor/ appraiser. I will charge a small fee for each item. Then you can feel really good about yourself knowing you introduced me and gave earned them more money !!
Morning Nick, people who make money out of charity are for me and Mrs PY, are the lowest of the low, as you know Mrs PY runs a charity for Serving and ex-Vets, she must raise about £300 a week, not a penny, zilch for herself, every bit of dough raised goes to them who deserve/need it, that's the way to do it.
That's why its called charity, off your own back helping others.

Morning Nick, people who make money out of charity are for me and Mrs PY, are the lowest of the low, as you know Mrs PY runs a charity for Serving and ex-Vets, she must raise about £300 a week, not a penny, zilch for herself, every bit of dough raised goes to them who deserve/need it, that's the way to do it.

Should I upgrade on the My Confession thread ?

How does she raise the money ?

When I worked in South London in the70's next door was the offices of Save The Children,,,,,plush with loads of new company cars. Thats when I vowed never to give to mainstream charities cos too much goes into overheads, wages etc and hardly any gets to where it is intended by the donor.

The myriad of charity shops is disgusting in our high streets....low council rents, volunteers, donations, almost zero overheads aoart from milking the sales to pay the permanent manger or head office staff and their cars. Any many of them are so plush inside they look like retail outlets and designer outlets almost. I will go into localised charity shops that specify a local cause..eg homeless in that specific town that are shambolic insude , stuff lying on the floor type shops, but means the money is going to intended, not on fancy fittings and shelves for example..

The ones that try to encourage old people to go in by unsolicited letters into their letterbox, with their wills and get them to donate some or all of their estate to the charity. Obscene exploitation!

TV exploitation showing unfortunates around the world, playing on sympathy with awful pictures. My heart goes out to then victims but how much of the donations actually get there. ..I bet a huge amount is filtered away by a country's corrupt govt as well.

I do my bit in ways that I know gets to the root cause of the problems in my local community, I am part of Fareshare (now Foodiverse) and collect food from supermarkets which would otherwise be chucked and distribute it to needy directly.

Also if I see a person on the streets/in a doorway I go and buy a sandwich and a drink and give it to them, not money to maybe feed their habit. . That is my contribution and my conscience is clear asd I know it gets to the unfortunate persons within my community.

They are not all bad, but as reputations go well.....

Last edited:
Those who sought and watched the Mind friendlies free on a stream and deprived the charity of the fiver due are ok though. ? At least Mind got 15 quid out of me !!

How does she raise the money ?
Simple, items donated then sold, nothing over £3, simple sales.
Does food hampers/bags to those most wanting, thus donations.
Crochets baby blankets for shops, namely 2, one in West London one in Bognor Regis, good prices paid, 100% to charity.
The 3 above are the main things she does, but there loads of others.
Very Simple really.

Simple, items donated then sold, nothing over £3, simple sales.
Does food hampers/bags to those most wanting, thus donations.
Crochets baby blankets for shops, namely 2, one in West London one in Bognor Regis, good prices paid, 100% to charity.
The 3 above are the main things she does, but there loads of others.
Very Simple really.

If she needs any help identifying vintage stuff let me know. It might be worth more than 3 quid. She can fire across photos to my email.