2021 Summer Transfer Thread | Page 140 | Vital Football

2021 Summer Transfer Thread

As expected, perhaps by design on my part - you pick up on the 'anti Forest' part - glossing over the fact that you 100% missed the point of the prior poster - due to your pre-occupation with the glass being half empty.

I have never ever known anyone moan & whinge as much as you and I've been married 22 years!

It's make no difference how long you've been a season ticket holder - many of us fall into the long suffering camp - but, you find every opportunity to focus on the negative.

That's completely up to you, that is clearly your persona but there are very clear extenuating circumstances. Covid outbreak & a shift in the target 1st team player type.

NFFC has needed a root & branch re-focus in the post Fawaz era (& arguably before), lots has been done with regard to the academy - but, Marrinakis backed the wrong horse (again) - hiring & firing managers, carrying way too much deadwood & acquiring far too many players looking for that last payday.

There have been extensive back room changes, not just for the first team but academy too - as well as nutritionist, physios & more importantly in the player acquisition team and a NEW CEO.

Such changes will not manifest immediate returns and I'd wager that the list of targets we had in Jan/May are now very different.

Unfortunately, sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forwards - but, I think with the changes and by sticking by CH (for now) - that this signals a step change.

I may well be wrong, but I am confident that we will sign players - of the desired quality - however, I won't get too down if we lose some of the opening games.

I'm of the opinion is pretty certain given no friendlies for 2 weeks and we just don't know who has been infected and whether there are lasting impacts - I really hope not, but we will see.

I want to be entertained just as much as everyone else, but I can see the bigger picture.
I think you and many others are not only underestimating this league, but actually disrespecting it.

A bad start isn't terminal. But bloody hell, it doesn't help does it?

We never recovered from a bad start last year. Whereas a decent start saved us in 2016.

We have nearly guarenteed ourselves a bad start.

We have started very late, unnecessarily so, for a very small number of players. These players are app risks- no sure things involved at all- and all are toss ups whether they will come, while others are outright unlikely.

We seem to be perfectly open to selling Gabriel- hence why Sunderland and Blackpool keep bidding- and I just don't trust that this club will sign a permanent replacement. I think they will sell our own young player and pay to develop someone else's.

Trust is earned and after the last 3-4 windows they have absolutely lost mine.

I think you and many others are not only underestimating this league, but actually disrespecting it.

A bad start isn't terminal. But bloody hell, it doesn't help does it?

We never recovered from a bad start last year. Whereas a decent start saved us in 2016.

We have nearly guarenteed ourselves a bad start.

We have started very late, unnecessarily so, for a very small number of players. These players are app risks- no sure things involved at all- and all are toss ups whether they will come, while others are outright unlikely.

We seem to be perfectly open to selling Gabriel- hence why Sunderland and Blackpool keep bidding- and I just don't trust that this club will sign a permanent replacement. I think they will sell our own young player and pay to develop someone else's.

Trust is earned and after the last 3-4 windows they have absolutely lost mine.

Rubbish, I'm old enough & wise enough to fully appreciate the difficulty posed by the Championship and League 1 prior to that.

Other teams have just as many problems as Forest, which isn't a positive - but is worthy of note.

I do understand your trust issues, but I'll reserve judgement until the window closes.

We cannot help a Covid outbreak - do you think it's somewhat unusual that in the week prior to the season commencing, we have not seen any player or manager interviews?

Others will no doubt be impacted too, perhaps not when the double jabbed don't have to isolate - but, the silence is deafening.

If we do have the forecasted guaranteed a bad start - covid is a more than mitigating circumstance!

Furthermore, how hard is it to sign a player, when they can't speak to the management team, players or attend a medical?

Yes - we 'should' have tried to get more players in earlier - but, that's not easy when there has been the euros and as I have said repeatedly, we also need to shift wages of the rosta!

As far as I'm aware, Blackpool & Sunderland have kept bidding - but, we've declined them?!

As expected, perhaps by design on my part - you pick up on the 'anti Forest' part - glossing over the fact that you 100% missed the point of the prior poster - due to your pre-occupation with the glass being half empty.

I have never ever known anyone moan & whinge as much as you and I've been married 22 years!

It's make no difference how long you've been a season ticket holder - many of us fall into the long suffering camp - but, you find every opportunity to focus on the negative.

That's completely up to you, that is clearly your persona but there are very clear extenuating circumstances. Covid outbreak & a shift in the target 1st team player type.

NFFC has needed a root & branch re-focus in the post Fawaz era (& arguably before), lots has been done with regard to the academy - but, Marrinakis backed the wrong horse (again) - hiring & firing managers, carrying way too much deadwood & acquiring far too many players looking for that last payday.

There have been extensive back room changes, not just for the first team but academy too - as well as nutritionist, physios & more importantly in the player acquisition team and a NEW CEO.

Such changes will not manifest immediate returns and I'd wager that the list of targets we had in Jan/May are now very different.

Unfortunately, sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forwards - but, I think with the changes and by sticking by CH (for now) - that this signals a step change.

I may well be wrong, but I am confident that we will sign players - of the desired quality - however, I won't get too down if we lose some of the opening games.

I'm of the opinion is pretty certain given no friendlies for 2 weeks and we just don't know who has been infected and whether there are lasting impacts - I really hope not, but we will see.

I want to be entertained just as much as everyone else, but I can see the bigger picture.

Whilst I don't disagree with a lot of what you're saying here OKD, there is one major problem. The Championship doesn't care about Forests extenuating circumstances. It won't stop teams ruthlessly exposing the giant hole Forest have at left back, they won't be playing a weakened defence for us because our attack isn't very threatening, and it won't stop the football league relegating Forest if they finish in the bottom 3.

Regardless of if you think these problems may be addressed or not before the transfer window closes, the fact remains that as of right now there is (quite rightly) a lot of concern about this Forest squad that starts the new season on Sunday.

It's been a long summer and obvious problems still exist. None of them except some competition for Samba have been addressed. We may sort those problem areas in the coming weeks. If we do then great! But if it goes wrong, if deals fall through or can't be agreed, where does that leave us? The clock is ticking and these issues need to be resolved. If they aren't then I don't see much point in laughing at Derby whilst we go down with them.

I see that Man U have started to move players out on loan. Garner to SUFC would be a real kick in the nads so let's hope he chooses us instead. Expect that decision will be made soon.

Whilst I don't disagree with a lot of what you're saying here OKD, there is one major problem. The Championship doesn't care about Forests extenuating circumstances. It won't stop teams ruthlessly exposing the giant hole Forest have at left back, they won't be playing a weakened defence for us because our attack isn't very threatening, and it won't stop the football league relegating Forest if they finish in the bottom 3.

Regardless of if you think these problems may be addressed or not before the transfer window closes, the fact remains that as of right now there is (quite rightly) a lot of concern about this Forest squad that starts the new season on Sunday.

It's been a long summer and obvious problems still exist. None of them except some competition for Samba have been addressed. We may sort those problem areas in the coming weeks. If we do then great! But if it goes wrong, if deals fall through or can't be agreed, where does that leave us? The clock is ticking and these issues need to be resolved. If they aren't then I don't see much point in laughing at Derby whilst we go down with them.

I share the frustrations and concerns at the lack of signings - I'm just not as worried by it as some others are.

We have one of the most respected and experienced managers in the Championship - we will make signings, we will sign loanees from EPL clubs and I'd hope it's in the coming days, but you do not lose the league on the first weekend of the season.

Given the circumstances, we are expected to lose at Coventry and whilst, I'll go home and want to kick the dog in disappointment, I'll then turn my attentions to the next game.

Rubbish, I'm old enough & wise enough to fully appreciate the difficulty posed by the Championship and League 1 prior to that.

Other teams have just as many problems as Forest, which isn't a positive - but is worthy of note.

I do understand your trust issues, but I'll reserve judgement until the window closes.

We cannot help a Covid outbreak - do you think it's somewhat unusual that in the week prior to the season commencing, we have not seen any player or manager interviews?

Others will no doubt be impacted to, perhaps not when the double jabbed don't have to isolate - but, the silence is deafening.

If we do have the forecasted guaranteed a bad start - covid is a more than mitigating circumstance!

Furthermore, how hard is it to sign a player, when they can't speak to the management team, players or attend a medical?

Yes - we 'should' have tried to get more players in earlier - but, that's not easy when there has been the euros and as I have said repeatedly, we also need to shift wages of the rosta!

As far as I'm aware, Blackpool & Sunderland have kept bidding - but, we've declined them?!
Which if the players we are after played at the Euros?

Genuine question.

You talk over and over again of mitigating circumstances. I'm not interested. Mitigating circumstances don't give us any handicap points. They don't keep you out of league one. If we go down, I won't be comforted one bit by the mitigating circumstances.

You either do what you need to or you don't, and we haven't.

I love all the behind the scenes stuff you are talking about. The nutritionists etc. That's great, I fully support that

But we haven't got any senior fullbacks. We have aging and unreliable strikers, an attacking midfield that is, at best, unproven and a central/ defensive midfield that we already know is going to be bang average. We have no width and no set piece taking talent whatsoever in the side. The only thing going for this side last season was it's defence, and half of that has been ripped out.

Nutritionists are lovely, but they'll be out of a job if the scratch squad we've been left with don't perform and get relegated to league one.

Look at Sunderland; their club shop is now closed, you can't get into their ticket office either. They are a mess and a real warning signal. If you think it can't happen to us, I've got news; it already did. I don't believe this club has the spunk to pull off another spring 2008.

Like I said; excuses and mitigating circumstances are for the birds; your squad is either good enough or it is not. You do what is needed or you don't.

You seem to be arguing that it doesn't matter that forest's squad has gone backwards because enough other teams will have gone even further backwards. I don't trust that theory. At all.

I share the frustrations and concerns at the lack of signings - I'm just not as worried by it as some others are.

We have one of the most respected and experienced managers in the Championship - we will make signings, we will sign loanees from EPL clubs and I'd hope it's in the coming days, but you do not lose the league on the first weekend of the season.

Given the circumstances, we are expected to lose at Coventry and whilst, I'll go home and want to kick the dog in disappointment, I'll then turn my attentions to the next game.
The thing that's alarming me the most is just how apathetic I feel. I've never cared so little about the start of a new season, and it's because I'm not looking forward to it. I'm generally not a negative person, especially where Forest are concerned. But Forests unending ability to dissapoint seems to have finally broken me.

Wow there is more doom & gloom about than for many a year. I can sort of understand why people are impatient, and they may all turn out to be correct, though I hope & think they won't. Personally I believe that even though we haven't addressed the main issues we can still put out a team that should be competitive with most of the other teams.
The problems arise when you go beyond the 11 that we put out, as there doesn't appear to be any cover in certain areas which does clearly leave us in a bit of a spot if / when injuries occur. You never know out of adversity one or two that you don't expect may come to the fore.
My money is still on us bringing in sufficient players of sufficient quality to see us OK by the time the window closes

Genuine question.

You talk over and over again of mitigating circumstances. I'm not interested. Mitigating circumstances don't give us any handicap points. They don't keep you out of league one. If we go down, I won't be comforted one bit by the mitigating circumstances.

I love all the behind the scenes stuff you are talking about. The nutritionists etc. That's great, I fully support that

But we haven't got any senior fullbacks. We have aging and unreliable strikers, an attacking midfield that is, at best, unproven and a central/ defensive midfield that we already know is going to be bang average. We have no width and no set piece taking talent whatsoever in the side. The only thing going for this side last season was it's defence, and half of that has been ripped out.

Nutritionists are lovely, but they'll be out of a job if the scratch squad we've been left with don't perform and get relegated to league one.

Look at Sunderland; their club shop is now closed, you can't get into their ticket office either. They are a mess and a real warning signal. If you think it can't happen to us, I've got news; it already did. I don't believe this club has the spunk to pull off another spring 2008.

Like I said; excuses and mitigating circumstances are for the birds; your squad is either good enough or it is not. You do what is needed or you don't.

You seem to be arguing that it doesn't matter that forest's squad has gone backwards because enough other teams will have gone even further backwards. I don't trust that theory. At all.

I don't agree that we have gone further backwards, no doubt you will and indeed are - if there is a way to view something negatively - then you will - but, the only players we will miss from last season are Garner, Christie & Yuri - the rest of the departures meh!

You ignore the obvious mitigating circumstances because that's you modus operandi.

In pedantic Pope style - we do have senior full backs - Blackett (injured), Bong & Jenkinson are all under contract. The latter pair may not be what Hughton wants, but that's another discussion - you have to play with the hand you've dealt, until we do get signings in.

Gabriel played 70% of games at RB for a promoted L1 side, so no different to Buchanon, Brennan a revelation at Lincoln - he can play in numerous attacking positions.

We have enough central defender to play with a 3 and wingbacks - CH gets paid to manage, so that's what I expect him to do.

Unsure whether Carvalho will be involved - but he can't be any worse than Arter, Freeman, Knockaert, Bachirou or Miguel Guerrero.

We have Lolley & Mighten who are both wingers, no depth granted & I do believe we will miss Sammy Marmite.

Grabban & Taylor are both good strikers at this level, aging or not - neither should be judged on 1 shit season.

GK, CM & CH = these are as good as any other teams & I definitely disagree about our defensive midfield - Colback being back & fit is a positive.

Let's see what happens on Sunday & in the weeks ahead, but I'd suggest you avoid excessive Gin intake.

Genuine question.

PS - How would I know what players we are after?

I do know that EPL sides are not releasing many loans at present, mainly as many teams are only just seeing their internationals return.

The thing that's alarming me the most is just how apathetic I feel. I've never cared so little about the start of a new season, and it's because I'm not looking forward to it. I'm generally not a negative person, especially where Forest are concerned. But Forests unending ability to dissapoint seems to have finally broken me.

Give it a few weeks!

I don't agree that we have gone further backwards, no doubt you will and indeed are - if there is a way to view something negatively - then you will - but, the only players we will miss from last season are Garner, Christie & Yuri - the rest of the departures meh!

You ignore the obvious mitigating circumstances because that's you modus operandi.

In pedantic Pope style - we do have senior full backs - Blackett (injured), Bong & Jenkinson are all under contract. The latter pair may not be what Hughton wants, but that's another discussion - you have to play with the hand you've dealt, until we do get signings in.

Gabriel played 70% of games at RB for a promoted L1 side, so no different to Buchanon, Brennan a revelation at Lincoln - he can play in numerous attacking positions.

We have enough central defender to play with a 3 and wingbacks - CH gets paid to manage, so that's what I expect him to do.

Unsure whether Carvalho will be involved - but he can't be any worse than Arter, Freeman, Knockaert, Bachirou or Miguel Guerrero.

We have Lolley & Mighten who are both wingers, no depth granted & I do believe we will miss Sammy Marmite.

Grabban & Taylor are both good strikers at this level, aging or not - neither should be judged on 1 shit season.

GK, CM & CH = these are as good as any other teams & I definitely disagree about our defensive midfield - Colback being back & fit is a positive.

Let's see what happens on Sunday & in the weeks ahead, but I'd suggest you avoid excessive Gin intake.
You can twist and squirm all you want by going through your very optimistic appraisal of the squad yet again.

But nearly 40% of last year's goals were scored by players who are no longer here; it doesn't matter a jot how throughly you disparage them, we would have been relegated without those goals and the 9 assists they also provided

That isn't a negative assessment. It is a fact. We did not score enough goals to lose 40% of them and expect to survive. Again, I remind you that no forest side in history has scored fewer goals per games at this level.

You can call it negative if you want to question where those 40% of goals are going to come from this season, let alone any more (which we desperately need, given all three relegated sides outscored us last season).

No one has been signed for the outfield. The only new player available is one who has not a single goal at this level and whose future is currently in dispute.

You can disparage the loanees all you like, but we looked a thousand times better after the January intake and they are all gone. Prior to that, we simply did not look like we belonged in this division. Maybe you thought we were champions in waiting prior to that?

The reality is, we have lost so many players that it is going to be very difficult, if not impossible, to build a squad that can sustain itself through any sort of injury crisis this season. Again, that isnt negative in my view, it is factual. We have had seasons where we have had 8, 9, even 11 regulars out injured at some points. We are in a position where almost any injury in any position will have serious repercussions.

You call me negative and talk about my modus operandi; look, I know full well you don't like me and you don't like pretty much anything I say; that has been made abundantly clear over the course of the 9 years or so I have been on this forum.

But at least respect that I am looking at this factually. I don't believe in fairies, ghosts, god or theoretical players who don't currently hold a contract with our club.

You can twist and squirm all you want by going through your very optimistic appraisal of the squad yet again.

But nearly 40% of last year's goals were scored by players who are no longer here; it doesn't matter a jot how throughly you disparage them, we would have been relegated without those goals and the 9 assists they also provided

That isn't a negative assessment. It is a fact. We did not score enough goals to lose 40% of them and expect to survive. Again, I remind you that no forest side in history has scored fewer goals per games at this level.

You can call it negative if you want to question where those 40% of goals are going to come from this season, let alone any more (which we desperately need, given all three relegated sides outscored us last season).

No one has been signed for the outfield. The only new player available is one who has not a single goal at this level and whose future is currently in dispute.

You can disparage the loanees all you like, but we looked a thousand times better after the January intake and they are all gone. Prior to that, we simply did not look like we belonged in this division. Maybe you thought we were champions in waiting prior to that?

The reality is, we have lost so many players that it is going to be very difficult, if not impossible, to build a squad that can sustain itself through any sort of injury crisis this season. Again, that isnt negative in my view, it is factual. We have had seasons where we have had 8, 9, even 11 regulars out injured at some points. We are in a position where almost any injury in any position will have serious repercussions.

You call me negative and talk about my modus operandi; look, I know full well you don't like me and you don't like pretty much anything I say; that has been made abundantly clear over the course of the 9 years or so I have been on this forum.

But at least respect that I am looking at this factually. I don't believe in fairies, ghosts, god or theoretical players who don't currently hold a contract with our club.

No twisting or squirming from me, I've played for long enough and equally managed for long enough too - so, I don't share your unswerving negativity!

Managers manage, that's what they are paid very well to do and whilst I have 1000000% kept on saying we need additions, I still believe that the starting 11 is not that much worse.

It's not a case of disliking you either, whilst I respect your views - I disagree with most, I haven't been disrespectful or abusive - no matter what happens, you will have the last word, because that's what you do & I'm going home, but we see things differently and I just get tired of your negativity, so just abstain from responding (as I should have here) - but, I've got to say - you're like my mother in law - never wrong on any subject, no matter what the circumstances or knowledge of the counterparty!

You now seek to use stats to back up your negativity - easy enough to flip, only the top 4 sides last season conceded less than Forest - so, we have a fantastic defensive platform to build from.

Goalscoring was a problem, but an unfit Grabban & Taylor did not help - add in the loss of Matty Cash, Silva and an unfit Lolley etc - this all contributed to a fully acknowledged woeful season - following the debacle to the prior one.

Lamouchi gave the players an extra 2 weeks off, we started back training later than every other side, he froze out players (as others have) and it has been stated over & over, that we were unfit (more so than this season) - unfortunately, covid will put us back this season, but out of adversity......

There are things to look forward to (well perhaps not you) but Mighten is more experienced, Brennan is coming off the back of a fantastic L1 campaign & same with Gabriel - young, fresh players!

More players are coming through the academy - whilst too early for some, but Baba Fernandez & Konate could well feature this season.

Left back was a problem all last season, but Yuri only featured in just over 55% of games - whilst not ideal I'd play Mbe Soh there for now.

Glenn Murray - a January intake scored over 5% of our goals - both in one game against Wycombe - he was guilty of missing more chances. He will not be missed.

Samba Sow - injured, Diallo - awol, Hefele retired, Dawson never featured - Bachirou & Guerrero poor signings.

Ameobi - consistently inconsistent.

Freeeman & Knockaert - very disappointing.

I would have liked to get Krov back at Forest, but that ship has sailed.

Garner - we have made it clear we want to bring him back, he will get the game time the parent club wants but other parties involved. Todd Cantwell to Villa could see Garner go to Norwich!

Christie - Fulham extended his contract, nothing we can do - but, would have taken him on a free.

It is what it is, but I'll stick to optimism.

No twisting or squirming from me, I've played for long enough and equally managed for long enough too - so, I don't share your unswerving negativity!

Managers manage, that's what they are paid very well to do and whilst I have 1000000% kept on saying we need additions, I still believe that the starting 11 is not that much worse.

It's not a case of disliking you either, whilst I respect your views - I disagree with most, I haven't been disrespectful or abusive - no matter what happens, you will have the last word, because that's what you do & I'm going home, but we see things differently and I just get tired of your negativity, so just abstain from responding (as I should have here) - but, I've got to say - you're like my mother in law - never wrong on any subject, no matter what the circumstances or knowledge of the counterparty!

You now seek to use stats to back up your negativity - easy enough to flip, only the top 4 sides last season conceded less than Forest - so, we have a fantastic defensive platform to build from.

Goalscoring was a problem, but an unfit Grabban & Taylor did not help - add in the loss of Matty Cash, Silva and an unfit Lolley etc - this all contributed to a fully acknowledged woeful season - following the debacle to the prior one.

Lamouchi gave the players an extra 2 weeks off, we started back training later than every other side, he froze out players (as others have) and it has been stated over & over, that we were unfit (more so than this season) - unfortunately, covid will put us back this season, but out of adversity......

There are things to look forward to (well perhaps not you) but Mighten is more experienced, Brennan is coming off the back of a fantastic L1 campaign & same with Gabriel - young, fresh players!

More players are coming through the academy - whilst too early for some, but Baba Fernandez & Konate could well feature this season.

Left back was a problem all last season, but Yuri only featured in just over 55% of games - whilst not ideal I'd play Mbe Soh there for now.

Glenn Murray - a January intake scored over 5% of our goals - both in one game against Wycombe - he was guilty of missing more chances. He will not be missed.

Samba Sow - injured, Diallo - awol, Hefele retired, Dawson never featured - Bachirou & Guerrero poor signings.

Ameobi - consistently inconsistent.

Freeeman & Knockaert - very disappointing.

I would have liked to get Krov back at Forest, but that ship has sailed.

Garner - we have made it clear we want to bring him back, he will get the game time the parent club wants but other parties involved. Todd Cantwell to Villa could see Garner go to Norwich!

Christie - Fulham extended his contract, nothing we can do - but, would have taken him on a free.

Yes, we had the fourth best defence. You have said that one before.

Is it the same defence now as the one that was fourth best last season? Or has half of it gone?

We had the third worst attack as well. Is it the same one? No, it's lost 40% of its goals.

You simply cannot give any good reasons why it will be better that don't assume

a) massive, rapid progress from Mighten and Johnson and Gabriel (who the club must be willing to sell, because two clubs would not keep bidding if it had been made clear he would not be leaving under any circumstances)

b) signings that do not exist

c) a firm belief that almost all the players who left were rubbish and contributed almost nothing while those that are left are somehow going to perform on a level they never got close to last season

D) everyone else in the division is rubbish

I just don't think the facts support any of these assertions. I think they are based on faith.

Your assessment of me as a poster is revealing and fundamentally unfair; you will not find many posters who are more willing to hold their hands up and accept when they are wrong. I will do if we do not sign anyone and I am wrong about the consequences of that, and I won't be drawing attention to it if I turn out to be right either.

And just because someone responds to your points further than you can't be arsed with, doesn't mean they have to have "the last word"

The proof of the pudding .... is coming up very soon ! I hope you and Mao are right about Lolley and Grabban being back to full fitness. We have a desperately thin squad at the moment. We certainly can't afford any injuries to our creative/goal scoring players.