The player who left thread | Page 469 | Vital Football

The player who left thread

Wishful thinking , the current contract and wording is all there just needs the dates and remuneration changing , and delete that bloody buy out clause

And all the promises, additional clauses, extra what if bonuses and pot shares and everything else each side wants....it's not a print and refill job mate.

The best players have signed for the best clubs since the dawn of football. It's how it's always worked.

I think using phrases like 'turn his back on the club' and saying he can't really be a fan is just childish.

Should Ronaldo have stayed at Sporting? Rooney at Everton? Maradona at Argentinos Jnrs? Zidane at Cannes?

It's inevitable that elite players want to play for elite clubs and win trophies and I don't think you can really blame them.

I think most of us on here over the years have said Kane needs to leave spurs to fulfill his potential. Whats the difference with Jack?

Will be gutted when he leaves but got to fully respect the decision.

Generally I think that's true. But also there's the question if there's something special about a club, what the future holds at a club, and what are the pluses and minuses of a particular "best" club.

Stevie G found when it came to it his attraction to his club was huge, the club may have hit a trough but it wasn't in a bad place, and Chelsea offered gongs but not a lot more. He stayed. Missed out on gongs but doubt if he ever regretted it.

Stirling didn't have the same attraction to Liverpool, was at a much earlier stage of his career and felt he wasn't getting the development and support he needed, and saw Man C as a better environment to develop in. He went, and never regretted it.

Jack's got a huge connection to Villa, which has ambitious owners who have done a lot already and are committed to doing more, it's an exciting place to be, and despite Man Cs successes there must be doubts over its financial dealings, how long Pep will stay, and whether he can do the revamp they need. I reckon there's a big case for staying.

In Kane's case I can't see why he'd want to stay at Spurs.

I may be wrong but didn't Stevie G want to go to Chelsea but Liverpool put their foot down? I guess we could do the same, but he still wanted to leave for trophies.

Rooney was Everton through and through, and they were a regular top half club but united offered gaurenteed success and world wide fame.

Le Tissier is the example I always come back to. One of the most talented players of his generation.... Completely wasted.

I may be wrong but didn't Stevie G want to go to Chelsea but Liverpool put their foot down? I guess we could do the same, but he still wanted to leave for trophies.

Rooney was Everton through and through, and they were a regular top half club but united offered gaurenteed success and world wide fame.

Le Tissier is the example I always come back to. One of the most talented players of his generation.... Completely wasted.

A lot of unsavoury speculation back then about 'why' he changed his mind given claimed threats etc.

doesn't seem much point playing unless you're playing for City
(or maybe Chelsea) rest of them are largely wasting their time...

It is his city and his club. Don't see any issue him saying that. Does it mean he has to be tied to us for life?

You seem a very immature person if you don't mind me saying.
Context , he said that as he signed his new 5 year deal which has 4 years to run. The owners have invested massively. If he's turning his back on the project and don't tell me he wouldn't understand the damage it would do then he's let the club down massively in my opinion. Let's see

Surely you've followed football long enough to know contracts don't mean a thing?

Villa offered it him to protect their own interest. It means they can now command a higher fee.

And Jack signed it to earn more money.

It was a win win but if you actually thought it meant he was staying for 5 years you've got your head in the clouds.

Most kids growing up would dream of playing for Barcelona, Madrid, United etc... And as horrible as it is and regardless of how they got there with oil money the fact is City are on a level with those teams at present.

My understanding is that he has not asked for a new contract it was the club that said they wanted to give him a better deal to ward of other clubs. Nobody in their right mind would say no thanks I dont want another x thousand pounds a week. He is seen as one of the Premier leagues most outstanding players and as such he will be wanted by the top clubs. The onus is on the club to convince him this is the place to be.

Stevie G did want to go and contract talks with Liverpool broke down. Liverpool finally gave in, but the following day Stevie G changed his mind and signed the contract.

Reckon Le Tissier knew the Southampton environment was best for him. Maybe a sensible decision. Likewise Vardy with Leicester.

The best players have signed for the best clubs since the dawn of football. It's how it's always worked.

I think using phrases like 'turn his back on the club' and saying he can't really be a fan is just childish.

Should Ronaldo have stayed at Sporting? Rooney at Everton? Maradona at Argentinos Jnrs? Zidane at Cannes?

It's inevitable that elite players want to play for elite clubs and win trophies and I don't think you can really blame them.

I think most of us on here over the years have said Kane needs to leave spurs to fulfill his potential. Whats the difference with Jack?

Will be gutted when he leaves but got to fully respect the decision.
Everything you say here is accurate Deano and the players cited left to go to elite clubs.

There is one possible difference here though and that is NSWE want Villa to be an elite club (again?) and that is somewhat hampered if you go around selling your best players. I think that is why this debate has been so much of 'will he, won't he' as it really does put the club on the cusp.