Racism in football/booing/the knee | Page 26 | Vital Football

Racism in football/booing/the knee

An influential Tory MP has waded into the debate on taking the knee after Priti Patel was accused of “stoking the fire” after England players were abused following Sunday night’s final. 1922 Committee executive Steve Baker has warned the issue “is a decisive moment for our party”. His comments came after a letter from a Conservative anti-racism group claimed MPs’ actions may have “laid the foundations” for some of the racist abuse levelled at England players during the Euro tournament. His colleague, ex-minister and Afghanistan veteran, Johnny Mercer, also suggested that England defender Tyrone Mings was “completely right” to accuse the home secretary of stoking racism, which she denies. Labour has been granted an urgent question on racism and social media today in parliament. Expect Keir Starmer to go in hard on the issue at prime minister’s question. This issue is still very much a live one and several of this morning’s papers pick up on hundreds of people gathering at a mural of Marcus Rashford in Manchester to show their support for the striker, after abuse was scrawled on the spray painting.
Not saying Starmer is wrong to go in hard, he isnt , but Labour will see an opportunity here to score a few brownie points, but I dont remember him saying anything when Patel first piped up. Correct please if I am wrong.
This is the problem when idiot MPs get involved in sporting issues that have a wider implication.
They have seized on any chance to use the EUROs for political gain from the off.
They do it at every tournament, and its so obvious.

Last edited:
Not saying Starmer is wrong to go in hard, he isnt , but Labour will see an opportunity here to score a few brownie points, but I dont remember him saying anything when Patel first piped up. Correct please if I am wrong.
This is the problem when idiot MPs get involved in sporting issues that have a wider impication.
They have seized on any chance to use the EUROs for political gain from the off.

The above was from Steve Baker, a Tory MP

Populist politicians, trying to score points, I agree with you!

Bozo arguing social media giants can be fined up to 10% of global revenues. For me, it’s a bit hollow as social media giants know full well they will not be fined 10% of global revenue by little old U.K.

A fine of 10% on U.K. revenue does however have more substance, it won’t bankrupt the company but would wipe out the net profit made in a fair size market for the tech companies, and you could charge them year after year until they do change.

Boris Johnson has promised to ban people guilty of sending racist abuse to footballers from attending matches.
The PM said he would take "practical steps" to crack down on the kind of racism faced by some players after England lost Sunday's Euro 2020 final.
He promised to change football banning orders to include online abuse.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57837003

I thought abuse was already a thing in banning orders? It shouldn't need to 'define' online abuse to work surely?

I stand with everyone else on this, morally - the abuse is disgusting. On a tactical level however, I wonder if the national response is counter-productive. These low-lives love nothing more than outrage and infamy, yet they are always richly rewarded by the (understandable) huge public reaction. Imagine if their vile tweets were (publicly) ignored. They would be utterly deflated and probably wouldn't bother again. Yes, please track them down and pursue them - but without having the satisfaction of getting the attention they crave. Just a thought...

I saw Jonathan Pie's rant about Britain being a nation of wankers. I don't agree with him but it's a fair accusation for those who used the match as an excuse for violence.

I thought it was interesting that he has put the people booing the knee, the people who used the match as an excuse for violence and the people who racially abused the penno missers as one and the same. It's perfectly possible to be one, two or three of those thing. However, it's much, much more likely that if you are an English person, you are none of the above. Still, nuance doesn't make for a good YouTube rant.

Boris Johnson has promised to ban people guilty of sending racist abuse to footballers from attending matches.
The PM said he would take "practical steps" to crack down on the kind of racism faced by some players after England lost Sunday's Euro 2020 final.
He promised to change football banning orders to include online abuse.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57837003

I thought abuse was already a thing in banning orders? It shouldn't need to 'define' online abuse to work surely?

I'm sure that 19 year old in Singapore will be devastated.

Slightly off thread, but I see Sam Matterface has recieved 70 complaints to Ofcom for suggesting if England won the cup it would be ok to throw a sicky.
Now Sam isnt the greatest of commentators, but FFS do people sit at home searching for something to be outraged about.
Bunch of wankers.

Slightly off thread, but I see Sam Matterface has recieved 70 complaints to Ofcom for suggesting if England won the cup it would be ok to throw a sicky.
Now Sam isnt the greatest of commentators, but FFS do people sit at home searching for something to be outraged about.
Bunch of wankers.

Yep 70 people out of 30million or whatever it was but it makes a news story.
probably more than that died during the match.

What do they do search the net looking for something to be offended by

I saw a podcast earlier where they were quoting I think from newsnight.
I think that's what it's called. Will have to look properly. But they did an investigation into the 150 racial comments made to the.footballers. From the 150 accounts they found that 5 were based in the UK. The rest were found to be abroad and I think 20% were inconclusive.
So if we find those 5 people yep. Ban for life. Not sure the people abroad will be too bothered.

I saw a podcast earlier where they were quoting I think from newsnight.
I think that's what it's called. Will have to look properly. But they did an investigation into the 150 racial comments made to the.footballers. From the 150 accounts they found that 5 were based in the UK. The rest were found to be abroad and I think 20% were inconclusive.
So if we find those 5 people yep. Ban for life. Not sure the people abroad will be too bothered.

I've seen the same mentioned, but I hadn't yet found a proper source.

150 racial comments is 150 to many, but the world we now live in, a woke world where the loonies have well and truly taken over the asylum, is a world were common sense is no longer needed nor used, and if for just one brief moment you think all those comments came from England fans you need to give your woke head a fucking wobble.

This is why I want the source eltoro, as other reports are saying as many as 2000 tweets within 30 minutes of the end of the game - so I naturally doubt only 5 (2 have already been charged though I think).

But yes, it's a bit muddy as the assumption is all racist comments have a UK base, but that's absolutely not true.

Which is why we are back to social media companies needing to do more full stop.

This is why I want the source eltoro, as other reports are saying as many as 2000 tweets within 30 minutes of the end of the game - so I naturally doubt only 5 (2 have already been charged though I think).

But yes, it's a bit muddy as the assumption is all racist comments have a UK base, but that's absolutely not true.

Which is why we are back to social media companies needing to do more full stop.

Couldn’t agree more Mike, all I’ve heard since the penalty misses are why can’t they just smack um, nothing more than that, ( it’s very rare you hear racist comments when in a pub) but I would imagine the game having a world wide audience would just have the racists and haters lined up ready with their abuse as soon as the penalties are missed, to blame all comments on England fans is a disgrace.
And while we’re on England fans, everyone of the wankers who caused trouble should be fined and named, and if that means they lose their jobs then so be it, unfortunately most will crawl back into the hole they emerged from.

This is the problem when idiot MPs get involved in sporting issues that have a wider implication.
He did go in on Johnson at the time. He's been pretty consistent on it tbf.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...n-of-failure-of-leadership-in-anti-racism-row