The Euros Summer 2021 Official Thread (2020) | Page 342 | Vital Football

The Euros Summer 2021 Official Thread (2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
hard to see a better opportunity than last night to win a major tournament. What's so dissapointing is the performance and tactics. So flat and dour. There will be some big regrets as these moments don't come along often at all,.

Once every 55 years at the going rate. But it’s ok. We did well just getting to the final. Its only the national sport, we have the best league in the world with the best players and coaches . With huge finances, huge pool of talent to pick and develop from.

And the small matter of not being able to put the ball in the the net from 12 yards unopposed apart from the keeper who is now not allowed to move until the ball is kicked . Bad luck though that we have . 2 out if 10 success rate is it in shoot outs ? Woe is us. Poor us. Diddums.

Meanwhile Chiellini ( who according to some was there for the taking ) had no hesitation to nearly decaptiate one of our youth players to win .
(Incidentally one of my favourite moments of the tournament. What a proper elite level winner he is ).

Well he's welcome by me and seemingly the majority of fans from what I'm reading in places other than this miserable forum.

Think I'm seeing more of a split than that, I've had a quick look on twitter and then came straight off the cesspit, but also on facebook, just like every England manager ever really.

I haven't really looked much, but think the press are being quite un-press-like and not doing their usual assassination of an England manager though?

England manager Gareth Southgate says he hopes to guide the team to the 2022 World Cup in Qatar but needs time to rest before considering contract talks.

Southgate spoke to media on the morning after England's Euro 2020 final shootout loss to Italy and said he felt like his "stomach has been ripped out".

He is under contract until after the 2022 winter World Cup, and the Football Association is keen to
renew his deal.

There should be no contract talks in my humble. He will continue, no doubt at that, so why not talk contracts after the World Cup?

Last edited:
Can’t see any logic to giving him a new contract. It’ll just end up with a big payout if he’s sacked, as you pay off the final years.

If his contract runs over into the next tournament, what more do you need than that? He isn’t going to get a big Premier League job surely, given how much positive PR the england job gives him from news reporters and all these social media influencers who seem to be able to get the game unlike many normal fans.

I’ve seen posts from several celebs at the game, I nearly put a comment back to Jack Whitehall asking how he got tickets but I have no knowledge of how much club football he watches and to do it on the back of a post about racism wouldn’t be a sensible thing to do. But how the fuck do all these twats get tickets so easily unless they’re paying through the nose?

Can’t see any logic to giving him a new contract. It’ll just end up with a big payout if he’s sacked, as you pay off the final years.

If his contract runs over into the next tournament, what more do you need than that? He isn’t going to get a big Premier League job surely, given how much positive PR the england job gives him from news reporters and all these social media influencers who seem to be able to get the game unlike many normal fans.

I’ve seen posts from several celebs at the game, I nearly put a comment back to Jack Whitehall asking how he got tickets but I have no knowledge of how much club football he watches and to do it on the back of a post about racism wouldn’t be a sensible thing to do. But how the fuck do all these twats get tickets so easily unless they’re paying through the nose?

1) logic - agreed

2) contract runs over - agreed, needs no more

and as you say, would just lead to more wasted money by the FA paying out a contract.

Let him earn a bumper new deal, fine.

3) celebs. Money talks... Tom Cruise there, why? £££££££ And people want to be seen with these people. Suppose some of it is club wembley, so some have paid through their noses to have seats, and then they can allocate to whoever they want. But we all know this is a money driven and celeb driven society, they must be catered for!

Would like to know what the reaction would be from any Premier League clubs fans that woke up to find out Southgate had been appointed as their manager.
If it were Villa I would jump of the Holte End roof.

Would like to know what the reaction would be from any Premier League clubs fans that woke up to find out Southgate had been appointed as their manager.

I think at Villa we might have a few jumping on the gates again a la McLeish, but a Crystal Palace or a Watford would probably be really chuffed to get him.

He’s dining out on success with England Under 21’s and apparent success with the seniors - and fair play to him I guess - it’ll probably get him a half decent job one day.

I’d be interested to see how he does in club football actually, to see if he is indeed up to the task. I think the pace of the league and cup structure, day-to-day pressure with players and starting on the back foot with a team or a squad in a tough league would really test him.

It is odd he has got to the England job on the back of being the U21 manager, on the back of what looks like total failure at Boro

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gareth_Southgate#Managerial_career

Took over 2006/07 when Schteve McLaren left to take the England job. Relegated 2008/09

And not great for U21's?

England
2013–16: Tenure with the under-21s
After four years out of football, Southgate returned to management after he signed a three-year contract to succeed Stuart Pearce as the manager of the England under-21 team on 22 August 2013.[58] Senior team manager Roy Hodgson had taken charge for the team's 6–0 victory over Scotland in the interim period prior to Southgate's appointment.[59][60] His first game in charge saw The Young Lions defeat Moldova 1–0 in a UEFA European Championship qualification match, thanks to a goal from striker Saido Berahino.[61]

Southgate would go on to lead his team to qualify for the finals of the 2015 European Championship in 2015; their good fortune could not continue however, as they finished bottom of their narrow-pointed group, therefore being knocked out of the competition. Their only victory during the competition came when Jesse Lingard scored the singular goal in their 1–0 success over Sweden, who would go on to qualify for the competition's knockout phase.[62]

In June 2016, Southgate said that he did not want to fill the England senior team position left vacant by Hodgson.[63]

It is odd he has got to the England job on the back of being the U21 manager, on the back of what looks like total failure at Boro

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gareth_Southgate#Managerial_career

Took over 2006/07 when Schteve McLaren left to take the England job. Relegated 2008/09

And not great for U21's?

England
2013–16: Tenure with the under-21s
After four years out of football, Southgate returned to management after he signed a three-year contract to succeed Stuart Pearce as the manager of the England under-21 team on 22 August 2013.[58] Senior team manager Roy Hodgson had taken charge for the team's 6–0 victory over Scotland in the interim period prior to Southgate's appointment.[59][60] His first game in charge saw The Young Lions defeat Moldova 1–0 in a UEFA European Championship qualification match, thanks to a goal from striker Saido Berahino.[61]

Southgate would go on to lead his team to qualify for the finals of the 2015 European Championship in 2015; their good fortune could not continue however, as they finished bottom of their narrow-pointed group, therefore being knocked out of the competition. Their only victory during the competition came when Jesse Lingard scored the singular goal in their 1–0 success over Sweden, who would go on to qualify for the competition's knockout phase.[62]

In June 2016, Southgate said that he did not want to fill the England senior team position left vacant by Hodgson.[63]
Ha ha, anything would have been an improvement on Schteve the umberella man. lol.

He's a 'safe' pair of hands for the FA.
Can't imagine him sparking trouble with dodgy tabloid headlines so will keep the sponsors happy enough.
Virtually impossible not to qualify for tournaments as they've been expanded and difficult not to get out of the group stage - job done.
Pleasant frontman and keeps his faves from the big clubs happy.
Crystal Palace due to his links (maybe) or championship otherwise about his level.

I think at Villa we might have a few jumping on the gates again a la McLeish, but a Crystal Palace or a Watford would probably be really chuffed to get him.

He’s dining out on success with England Under 21’s and apparent success with the seniors - and fair play to him I guess - it’ll probably get him a half decent job one day.

I’d be interested to see how he does in club football actually, to see if he is indeed up to the task. I think the pace of the league and cup structure, day-to-day pressure with players and starting on the back foot with a team or a squad in a tough league would really test him.

He reminds me of Aitor Karanke at Boro. A defensive first style masked with superior attacking talent who could easily swat away poor teams but rarely had the ability to take it to the opposition or win from a goal down.

Southgate would probably be the ideal replacement at Palace if they wanted to continue business as usual. To me it seems like he knows how to counter and suppress teams but not change a game in his own favor or how to break down a team. The individual talent of English stars running at defences is what won games. Nothing tactical IMO.

You have to give points for defensive solidity but when you've such an array of talent but no real cohesion in attack it'll always raise questions.

Would be similar to having Brucie back I'd think. We'd be half bored to death by the football but put up with it for as long as we were winning. Trouble is, when you are playing that way, you only need to lose a few and you quickly hear calls for them to be sacked.

Saw that Kate Middleton who had to isolate from 2nd July was at both Wimbledon and Wembley yesterday. Said that she only had to isolate for 8 days which is complete bollocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.