Derby County | Page 2 | Vital Football

Derby County

How many times do clubs, or their owners, go to court over tax and the case is adjourned. You and me matey get the letter stating " you have not payed enough tax, we will deduct it " etc etc.
Because Derby simply send a letter back saying 'Hard luck, we've pissed all our money away on useless players so we can't pay you'.
Next time HMRC write to me I wonder if I can get away with ' Hard luck, I've pissed all my money away on beer'.

Because Derby simply send a letter back saying 'Hard luck, we've pissed all our money away on useless players so we can't pay you'.
Next time HMRC write to me I wonder if I can get away with ' Hard luck, I've pissed all my money away on beer'.
next time they write to me i will be writing back to say 'deal with f++king derby first'.

Indeed.
But this really does baffle me.
My company (ie who I work for, not who I own!!), transfer a sizeable five figure sum to HMRC each and every month without fail.
Income tax & NI calculated from payroll and sent accordingly.
So how can other businesses, such as DCFC, not do this? What threats are sent to them each month they don't pay? What interest is charged on all of the non payments?
And given they have to date cheated all the rest of us out of over £20 million, when will the owners be prosecuted? (And have all their assets seized)
I think they meet to discuss it at The Waldorf, or some such suitable establishment.

According to the Derby Telegraph- quoting Mel Morris the Derby owner and Chairman " many Championship clubs have had to rely on a deferral of PAYE taxes to cope with the impact of Covid-19-"
So there has been a deferral to 'many football clubs' not just Derby. Not a waiver of course, and maybe why the figure has grown.
I remember Derby having problems last season at one point in paying it's first teams wages. So they are certainly in a predicament.

According to the Derby Telegraph- quoting Mel Morris the Derby owner and Chairman " many Championship clubs have had to rely on a deferral of PAYE taxes to cope with the impact of Covid-19-"
So there has been a deferral to 'many football clubs' not just Derby. Not a waiver of course, and maybe why the figure has grown.
I remember Derby having problems last season at one point in paying it's first teams wages. So they are certainly in a predicament.
HMRC are happy to allow a limited amount of deferrals of PAYE for a month to aid short term cash flow, but you have to wonder how/why it gets to this. If you can't pay your wages (and PAYE is part of the wage bill), it goes way beyond Financial Fair Play.

Practically every club in the top two divisions and many in ours do this, sadly HMRC and the EFL do fuck all to punish them.
The wendies are as bad.
Demotions and shutting them down is the only way forward, they'll do it to a little little club like Bury or Macclesfield but never a big club like they should have done with Portsmouth and a few others, it's basically cheating

I have just had a tax demand for £1 for the tax year 18/19 with the threat of legal action. I kid you not. The production of and postage of the letter have cost more than that. What is more when I contacted them about payment I don't owe them any money at all. This after speaking to a man saying they were going to adjust my tax code to reclaim the money I don't owe them. I have since received two letters advising my tax code had changed. The first letter advised it was adjusted to recover the missing payment, the changed tax code was identical to the previous code. The second advised the code was going back to the original code. How can we possibly trust HMRC to get taxes collected?

I have just had a tax demand for £1 for the tax year 18/19 with the threat of legal action. I kid you not. The production of and postage of the letter have cost more than that. What is more when I contacted them about payment I don't owe them any money at all. This after speaking to a man saying they were going to adjust my tax code to reclaim the money I don't owe them. I have since received two letters advising my tax code had changed. The first letter advised it was adjusted to recover the missing payment, the changed tax code was identical to the previous code. The second advised the code was going back to the original code. How can we possibly trust HMRC to get taxes collected?
Piss ups breweries organise spring to mind.
The big clubs and companies must piss themselves laughing knowing that they can get away with paying fuck all tax cos HMRC haven't the gumption to get money while we suffer as a consequence

Last edited:

We had a deferral of VAT but have already been required to be paying it (over last few months). We got no such deferrals with PAYE taxes. Methinks Derby are possibly bullshitting?

Practically every club in the top two divisions and many in ours do this, sadly HMRC and the EFL do fuck all to punish them.
The wendies are as bad.
Demotions and shutting them down is the only way forward, they'll do it to a little little club like Bury or Macclesfield but never a big club like they should have done with Portsmouth and a few others, it's basically cheating
I feel sorry for the fans of those giant clubs.

You must be congratulated for waiting for long enough for HMRC to answer the phone. Most people give up well before that.

HMRC have been hassling me for the past 6 months advising me of a £100 penalty for late submission of my accounts in January which they then escalated to £1000 for still not paying the penalty.

Problem for them being I ceased being self employed, returning to full time employment, in 2018 and in last year's declaration (for year 18/19 stated as such in the relevant sections.....that my business ceased trading in April 2018.....

....amazingly earlier this week I got a letter saying (finally) that they were accepting that I was no longer required to declare my earnings and would cancel the penalty.

Amazing that they knew I was in full time employment the minute I restarted because my tax credits magically changed within a few weeks without me telling them anything yet they don't understand what I did state on their own online form, and that I had unregistered for self assessment a year ago.

The irony being that they wanted me to re-register so that I could do a declaration for 19/20 and so that I could pay my penalty against that registration. lol.

HMRC have been hassling me for the past 6 months advising me of a £100 penalty for late submission of my accounts in January which they then escalated to £1000 for still not paying the penalty.

Problem for them being I ceased being self employed, returning to full time employment, in 2018 and in last year's declaration (for year 18/19 stated as such in the relevant sections.....that my business ceased trading in April 2018.....

....amazingly earlier this week I got a letter saying (finally) that they were accepting that I was no longer required to declare my earnings and would cancel the penalty.

Amazing that they knew I was in full time employment the minute I restarted because my tax credits magically changed within a few weeks without me telling them anything yet they don't understand what I did state on their own online form, and that I had unregistered for self assessment a year ago.

The irony being that they wanted me to re-register so that I could do a declaration for 19/20 and so that I could pay my penalty against that registration. lol.

Pure shot in the dark here, but perhaps if HMRC stopped chasing the £100s and the £1s and assigned those staff to the £20millions of this world instead, maybe things might get a little fairer...just a thought, eh?

Pure shot in the dark here, but perhaps if HMRC stopped chasing the £100s and the £1s and assigned those staff to the £20millions of this world instead, maybe things might get a little fairer...just a thought, eh?
The £20millions have the money to pay top solicitors and barristers as well as the best accountants!!

Ever thought of being a script write for Monty Python! That's brilliant, in a non brilliant way :rofl:

Earlier this year I did get a final account demand by letter (after I'd already agreed their final figure previously) for 14 pence from Bulb energy company. Fair play, I haven't heard anything more from them since I ignored it. Any advance/deduction on 14p anyone? How low for example, will HMRC go I wonder.