The Summer 2021 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 148 | Vital Football

The Summer 2021 Transfer Rumour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I could of Ashley at United (admittedly not Inter), his game had changed considerably from being a ball carrying winger to a player who had slowed down but improved positionally and technically. He still looks as lean as he was in his 20’s, so I don’t see a problem for some experience in the squad.

We are still naive at times, he has experience that we need. If we’re 2-1 up with 25 mins to go, you bring him on for a winger or he’s backup for the full backs.

I've come round to the idea of Young, he's been there and done it, winning mentality. A manc friend always talks highly of him when he was at united. Good professional/leader.

Think of it as a better Elmo.. Older, wiser head in the squad. Covers multiple positions.

I said weeks ago we'll buy 2 or 3 expensive players and some free/ cheap stocking fillers to cover the players who left. Ashley is a stocking filler and will walk away free in a years time. We've had two seasons of some useless players milking us from the bench without ever being a serious option except for injuries

Can defo see the value in Young coming in , like I did with JT .

Just don't think it will happen though based on our previous business under this regime.

I wouldn’t necessarily think Young is coming just as back up to Targett although can play there if needed. More a utility man for use in numerous different positions as needed. An good experienced pro. Many times in recent years we have lacked a bit of leadership so bringing someone like Young would be a good bit of business considering he’s turning down a new contract at Inter to come.

But also, as said, could start coaching/helping the youngsters, so all in all, not a crazy link.

Never a bad thing our name being circulated around Italy for the right reasons, the Italian press were absolutely loving us at the start of the season beating Liverpool 7-2.

Makes absolute sense for us in a backup sense, him being 36 perhaps he’s happier with a more relaxed role, knowing he’ll probably feature on the wings as a defensive option when we’re running games out especially with Trezeguet out.

I just didn’t see him going from having a key role in helping Inter win the title to being a bit time player at Aston Villa, I know we’re absolutely massive, but still.

Last edited:
If DS and the club think it makes sense, I'll go with it. Class player with huge experience who is still in great condition.

The problem with our full-backs, Cash and Targett, is that they are such obvious picks that they make it difficult to find adequate backups. This sort of solution could work well. Targett was a great ever-present last season but there's no guarantee he won't get injured this.

My feeling is that Guilbert will come back as backup to Cash. He will get cup games, but also Cash does have the odd injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.