Transfer Window - Summer 2021 | Page 38 | Vital Football

Transfer Window - Summer 2021

Unfortunately we won't get much for the lot of them, albeit I agree that they all need to be moved on. Lo Celso, Bergwijn, Winks and Sanchez on the other hand are players who gave us very little last season, but are players that should command decent fees, which if used properly would enable us to strengthen.
This is the kind of thing that the club needs to change. It's not always about taking the easiest option, it should only be about doing the right thing to improve the squad going forward..

Modern football requires high football IQ and superb passing skills. We're lacking players that have both in pretty much every position.

The fact that Sissoko and Aurier were part of this team is a disgrace, but we've never managed to replace Verts, Eriksen, Dembele and Toby to an extent.

We need more Ajax type players, and less PSV.

Berg for me is lacking in both departments, so I couldn't care less if he stays or leaves. Might as well sell and get Lookman to fill the HG quota, as neither looks a world beater.

This is the kind of thing that the club needs to change. It's not always about taking the easiest option, it should only be about doing the right thing to improve the squad going forward..
I agree. If for example we were able to sell the four players I mentioned, Winks, Bergwijn, Sanchez and Lo Celso, cumulatively that would probably give us around 120M. We could however view Skipp and Sessegnon as replacements for Winks and Bergwijn. That gives a very healthy sum to strengthen at CG, and at AM which we need desperately.

"Sometimes fans think we ought to be spending but there have been circumstances where the coach doesn’t want us to spend on a particularly player. We will make investment in the squad."

If you haven't worked it out already, that comment was aimed at Jose for turning down two alternatives to Doherty and getting his way on the loan deals.

"Sometimes fans think we ought to be spending but there have been circumstances where the coach doesn’t want us to spend on a particularly player. We will make investment in the squad."

If you haven't worked it out already, that comment was aimed at Jose for turning down two alternatives to Doherty and getting his way on the loan deals.

I must admit I thought he meant Poch here. With his schooling liner.

Once again, Levy makes it clear we've never bought a player the coach doesn't want.

Of course, I know I'm pissing in the wind, but when once again anyone starts with 'it was a Lavy buy etc etc blah blah blah...remember his words.

Still totally the wrong focus for me. What I care about is who we wanted and didn't get, and how the many 1st team managers had to compromise their 1st choices to just get new players in the club. Additionally, when did we show the conviction in our pursuit, often one or two years too late (my opinion). Overlay that with the lateness of the deals in the summer and it was a bad period for everyone involved with recruitment at the club.

Digesting those lessons learned are how we move forward differently.

Still totally the wrong focus for me. What I care about is who we wanted and didn't get, and how the many 1st team managers had to compromise their 1st choices to just get new players in the club. Additionally, when did we show the conviction in our pursuit, often one or two years too late (my opinion). Overlay that with the lateness of the deals in the summer and it was a bad period for everyone involved with recruitment at the club.

Digesting those lessons learned are how we move forward differently.
muttley, playing the devils advocate here, how do we know all that you say is true, only asking mate because most of what we know is "media bullshit having a go at Spurs".

We don't pay top dollar for players or their wages so it limits the managers choice. If he doesn't think the player offered will improve the starting 11, I don't blame him for turning signings down. Poch had extracted what he could but needed better players than those offered. Jose probably came in thinking money was available with the new stadium revenues but Covid stopped that.

Levy can try and blame managers, why would they turn players down ?.....because they are not of the calibre they want !!

muttley, playing the devils advocate here, how do we know all that you say is true, only asking mate because most of what we know is "media bullshit having a go at Spurs".

Pomp - it's nothing to do with the media. It's just observing the transfer patterns over a decade or so. We know which players joined. We know the success rates as we've watched every match for years with our own eyes. We've also watched others linked with Spurs move to smaller and bigger clubs.

Call me old fashioned but I measure these things on results, not best endeavours.

I genuinely want to see us find the right transfer market for Spurs again. Get through the major surgery of churning these older players and let's get going with the youngsters again. Then keep it quality over quantity for all future windows.

We don't pay top dollar for players or their wages so it limits the managers choice. If he doesn't think the player offered will improve the starting 11, I don't blame him for turning signings down. Poch had extracted what he could but needed better players than those offered. Jose probably came in thinking money was available with the new stadium revenues but Covid stopped that.

Levy can try and blame managers, why would they turn players down ?.....because they are not of the calibre they want !!

It's a fair point but it's been proven by many Premier League teams you can buy gems for decent money.

Leicester, West Ham, Brighton, Villa, Leeds and Wolves have signed some amazing talent for small money.

Poch was always limited in spotting a player. He rarely got it right on unknowns.

Our scouting has been pretty poor for years now.

The amount of 'things' that happen behind the scenes of a football club, that we as 'fans' have absolutely no clue about, is voluminous. If you go by 'results' in the transfer market, I assume that means who is 'signed' by spurs, and who is 'signed' by another club, as you just cannot know who anyone 'did not successfully sign' of course. We may think we know, because of the wacky tabloid loudmouths, and there may be some truth to what we learn, but not nearly enough to draw concrete conclusions. At least that counts in 98% of the situations. And when you DO get something that is in line with what's actually happening, you can be rest assured that it is coming from a source that has an agenda. Otherwise, what is the value of leaking it in the first place? So gobs of skepticism are required.

Every manager, or DOF, or anyone that accepts employment at a football club, has a paradigm within which they will be required to operate. Spurs, and DL, are very clear with people about how Spurs are run, what it's history is, and what the future goals of the club are. So anyone who accepts the job, accepts the paradigm.

Now, whether anyone changes the paradigm, or if there's been misinterpretations over time, that's all normal stuff that happens, and maybe DL is a bit more difficult to work with. Regardless now tho as the combination of the Revenue Machine plus the Footballing Machine, as two parts of the whole, have grown far to big for the previous setup to sustain. So big changes are afoot.

And the first thing that is obvious, is that nobody is saying shit about anything outside of the bubble. or very very very little, and surgical for them bits.

But there are some tiny bits....

It's a fair point but it's been proven by many Premier League teams you can buy gems for decent money.

Leicester, West Ham, Brighton, Villa, Leeds and Wolves have signed some amazing talent for small money.

Poch was always limited in spotting a player. He rarely got it right on unknowns.

Our scouting has been pretty poor for years now.

That's down to Levy not employing top scouts .
Inferior managers compared to our rivals less money available , poor scouting. You can only paper over so many cracks.

So we've been mugged off again, paying £40 odd million for tenacity and hunger. Great!
So you don’t think there is a footballer in him Richmond , is that what you are saying.
Is there much difference between him and Winks.
I would say Leicester saw a footballer in a tenacious and hungry player in Vardy and turned him into a decent player .
Do you think we could do the same with Lo Celso .
under the right coach , I’m sure we could .

I played alongside Steve Perryman as a teenager . He fitted those parameters as well .