The Playoff Thread 2021 | Page 8 | Vital Football

The Playoff Thread 2021

They have a new stadium. They're always near the top of the league - every season. They attract better players. And now they are in the Premier League. And now they will have tens of millions of pounds worth of parachute payments.

Barring a couple of minor blips that happened before I was born (and I was born a long fucking time ago), how are they not a bigger club than us?
Yes, a new stadium with a capacity of 17,250- significantly fewer than the number of season ticket holders we were attracting pre COVID.

They are not always near the top of the league- they have been for two consecutive seasons, that's it. We were for one of those.

Their championship record; 5th, 9th, 10th, 9th, 11th, 3rd, 3rd. Not exactly "near the top every season. They've had two goes and gone up on the second one.

They attract better players because they are smart, finding unknown gems. In contrast, our scouting and recruitment system is utter dogshit and it is hard to imagine a club that could possibly be attracting worse players than we are.

Yes, they will have tens of millions in parachute payments- if they stay up for at least a season. They will get parachute payments for only two seasons if they go straight down- amounts to about 75m over the two years. Significant; but their wage bill will also go up, and parachute payments does not make a big club. Are Huddersfield a big club for having them for a third year?

Brentford are a league 2 club and their long serving fans are well aware of the intrinsic limitations of their size. They loathe the bandwagoners by and large.

Yes, a new stadium with a capacity of 17,250- significantly fewer than the number of season ticket holders we were attracting pre COVID.

They are not always near the top of the league- they have been for two consecutive seasons, that's it. We were for one of those.

Their championship record; 5th, 9th, 10th, 9th, 11th, 3rd, 3rd. Not exactly "near the top every season. They've had two goes and gone up on the second one.

They attract better players because they are smart, finding unknown gems. In contrast, our scouting and recruitment system is utter dogshit and it is hard to imagine a club that could possibly be attracting worse players than we are.

Yes, they will have tens of millions in parachute payments- if they stay up for at least a season. They will get parachute payments for only two seasons if they go straight down- amounts to about 75m over the two years. Significant; but their wage bill will also go up, and parachute payments does not make a big club. Are Huddersfield a big club for having them for a third year?

They're capacity may be smaller than ours but I bet it geberates more revenue than ours.

Those league positions are 100% in the top half of the league and almost 50% in the Playoffs. How does that compare with us over for same period?

Parachute payments don't make Huddersfield a big club. They were the worst side ever to get promoted.

The reality is that if Brentford manage their spell in the PL as well as they'be managed their stay in the Champ, regardless of whatever division they end up playing in, we will NEVER be able to compete with them on am equal footing.

They're capacity may be smaller than ours but I bet it geberates more revenue than ours.

I bet it doesn't, given that it hasn't generated a penny of revenue as of yet. And ultimately, we probably need a new ground of our own to maximise revenue. If Forest get a new ground, will it generate more revenue that Brentford's new ground? Yep. Because more people have wanted to watch forest throughout football history than have wanted to watch Brentford.

Those league positions are 100% in the top half of the league and almost 50% in the Playoffs. How does that compare with us over for same period?

Comparing to us isn't relevant, because we are not a yardstick by which you judge whether a club is big or not.

Parachute payments don't make Huddersfield a big club. They were the worst side ever to get promoted.

No, they were not. But you see to agree that the parachute payment point is irrelevant to the size of a club.

The reality is that if Brentford manage their spell in the PL as well as they'be managed their stay in the Champ, regardless of whatever division they end up playing in, we will NEVER be able to compete with them on am equal footing.

Brentford have been in this league for 7 seasons, have had three chances at promotion and taken one of them.

We've been in this division 12 years, had four chances and blown all of them.

Brentford's model is brilliant until it isn't. Derby's model would have been lauded in some quarters if they had taken one of their chances.

Ultimately, more people want to watch forest than want to watch Brentford. More people want to watch forest than almost all of the Championship sides and some of the PL ones. Sustained success for Brentford might gradually change that fact, but they have to actually have that success.

More players can make the step up from L1 to the championship than from the Championship to the PL. Maintaining the data led approach is a much bigger challenge when the standard is vastly higher. Not saying. They can't do it, and being from London gives a massive advantage over being in Nottingham when it comes to attracting players.

But this isn't a discussion over whether they are bigger than forest, but over whether they are a big club. Even if you were using forest as a yardstick, they struggle; forest are not really a big club anymore, yet we have more regular fans than they do

The players are all rich. The owners are all rich. They don't give a fig about us. They don't need us to give a fig about them. No further comments. Thread closed.
In other news on the open thread about all playoff games, Brennan Johnson does something that no forest player has done as a forest player in nearly 30 years- play at wembley.

He will be facing off against a striker we are supposedly hoping to sign, but obviously won't he able to sign once Blackpool get promoted.

Ok a serious note, has any other player actually played at Wembley whilst contracted to forest since 1992?

In other news on the open thread about all playoff games, Brennan Johnson does something that no forest player has done as a forest player in nearly 30 years- play at wembley.

He will be facing off against a striker we are supposedly hoping to sign, but obviously won't he able to sign once Blackpool get promoted.

Ok a serious note, has any other player actually played at Wembley whilst contracted to forest since 1992?
Stuart Pearce Euro 96

A good day for west London yesterday.

enjoy your hangover you rent boy cockney wankers, probably went crazy & had 5 beers & even forgot the black currant in top of one you lightweight southern *****

A good day for west London yesterday.

enjoy your hangover you rent boy cockney wankers, probably went crazy & had 5 beers & even forgot the black currant in top of one you lightweight southern *****

Love that you acknowledge West London is the current mecca of football!

Takes a big man to admit they're wrong.

Love that you acknowledge West London is the current mecca of football!

Takes a big man to admit they're wrong.
I must admit I would have preferred Man Citeh to win last night but Guardiola messed up and Tuchel schooled him once again.

I can see it being a 3 horse race in the Prem next season depending on signings and with Man Ure fans looking on enviously once more.

Then you have the potential possibility of Conte coming back to work for Levy at the Spuds which would be funny as fuck...

I must admit I would have preferred Man Citeh to win last night but Guardiola messed up and Tuchel schooled him once again.

I can see it being a 3 horse race in the Prem next season depending on signings and with Man Ure fans looking on enviously once more.

Then you have the potential possibility of Conte coming back to work for Levy at the Spuds which would be funny as fuck...

Pochettino?

I think United could be in the mix with the right signings.

So, more happy plastic fans than unhappy ones?