The Playoff Thread 2021 | Page 9 | Vital Football

The Playoff Thread 2021

I bet it doesn't, given that it hasn't generated a penny of revenue as of yet. And ultimately, we probably need a new ground of our own to maximise revenue. If Forest get a new ground, will it generate more revenue that Brentford's new ground? Yep. Because more people have wanted to watch forest throughout football history than have wanted to watch Brentford.

Comparing to us isn't relevant, because we are not a yardstick by which you judge whether a club is big or not.

No, they were not. But you see to agree that the parachute payment point is irrelevant to the size of a club.

Brentford have been in this league for 7 seasons, have had three chances at promotion and taken one of them.

We've been in this division 12 years, had four chances and blown all of them.

Brentford's model is brilliant until it isn't. Derby's model would have been lauded in some quarters if they had taken one of their chances.

Ultimately, more people want to watch forest than want to watch Brentford. More people want to watch forest than almost all of the Championship sides and some of the PL ones. Sustained success for Brentford might gradually change that fact, but they have to actually have that success.

More players can make the step up from L1 to the championship than from the Championship to the PL. Maintaining the data led approach is a much bigger challenge when the standard is vastly higher. Not saying. They can't do it, and being from London gives a massive advantage over being in Nottingham when it comes to attracting players.

But this isn't a discussion over whether they are bigger than forest, but over whether they are a big club. Even if you were using forest as a yardstick, they struggle; forest are not really a big club anymore, yet we have more regular fans than they do

1) I am confident that Brentford's stadium will generate more revenue than ours wants people are allowed to do normal people shit.

If Forest got a new ground, yes it may well generate more revenue, but based on our track record of managing our affairs, that would only be on the basis of us not fucking that up, so the chances are fairly slim.

2) What are the four chances of ours you are referring to?

In the 13 seasons we've been in the Championship, we've reached the Playoffs twice and finished in the top half six times (which includes the two seasons we've finished in the Playoffs).

I'm fairly certain this does not compare favourably against even 80% of clubs who have been in this league for a comparable period.

To put it simply, we are what we are - a small, tinpot, lower Championship outfit.

1) I am confident that Brentford's stadium will generate more revenue than ours wants people are allowed to do normal people shit.

If Forest got a new ground, yes it may well generate more revenue, but based on our track record of managing our affairs, that would only be on the basis of us not fucking that up, so the chances are fairly slim.

In the 13 seasons we've been in the Championship, we've reached the Playoffs twice and finished in the top half six times (which includes the two seasons we've finished in the Playoffs).

I'm fairly certain this does not compare favourably against even 80% of clubs who have been in this league for a comparable period.

To put it simply, we are what we are - a small, tinpot, lower Championship outfit.
I think that's a bit harsh.

I was referring to our four playoff pushes- that includes twice missing out on the playoffs on the final day of the season.

Our record compares perfectly fine with a few clubs; Sheffield Wednesday for one.

But the discussion is not about what level forest are and never has been.

Ive said before, every season, whoever is in the league we are typically one of the top twelve clubs in the league at the very least. So law of averages suggests we should have a 50/50 chance of being in the play offs and anything less than that is failure. We are wayyyy into failure percentages and is probabay hundreds of millions spent even so :(

In fact over the last 11 seasons or so, we have finished on average 12th

Last edited:
Yates lad does look a handful, pacey, beats his man. I know im anti grabban but even watching Yates play makes Grabbans game look so over leisurely, Need to be at it 100% dont ya.

Blackpool equaliser

There is only going to be one winner in this and it isn't going to be Lincoln based on this first half.

Love it- their goal should have been ruled out for handball; "no one wants to see a Blackpool goal scrubbed out for something like that, it was accidentally".

1000% if this was Forest scoring that, Sky would be spending the rest of the game decrying the injustice of our goal

Pochettino?

I think United could be in the mix with the right signings.
Pochettino and Conte are being linked with Spuds and Real so it’s dealers choice really with Zidane possibly on his way to PSG.

I am not convinced Utd will make the right signings though and even if they do I don’t think Solskjaer has the nous to really compete with the others when all things are equal...

I’ve never seen a ref give as many nothing free-kicks to one side as Blackpool got today. I feel like Forest never get a ref willing to call every cynical bit of play in our favour. Blackpool were the better side, but any threat of pressure was relieved by poor refereeing. You could call it game management, but falling over only seems to be called a foul for some teams.

I’ve never seen a ref give as many nothing free-kicks to one side as Blackpool got today. I feel like Forest never get a ref willing to call every cynical bit of play in our favour. Blackpool were the better side, but any threat of pressure was relieved by poor refereeing. You could call it game management, but falling over only seems to be called a foul for some teams.
That was my impression. Some key fouls not called and also the handball. Having said that, I thought Blackpool had the edge. My fault, I supported Lincoln. Sorry guys.

I guess the only pro is... reality check for Brennan? And, more importantly, his Dad, who’s been banging on about how Lincoln are a better team, with a better manager, than we are. Hopefully Brennan can learn from the experience, DJ can stop claiming he’s the next Dele Alli on Twitter, and the lad can come back to Forest eager to impress pre-season.

Or am I clutching at straws?

I guess the only pro is... reality check for Brennan? And, more importantly, his Dad, who’s been banging on about how Lincoln are a better team, with a better manager, than we are. Hopefully Brennan can learn from the experience, DJ can stop claiming he’s the next Dele Alli on Twitter, and the lad can come back to Forest eager to impress pre-season.

If he won't sign a contract he shouldn't expect to play at all.

No point wasting time developing someone else's player unless he is going to massively move us forward, and Brennan won't. He's too lightweight. We would ensure his mistakes and inconsistencies and by the time we started benefiting from the experience he was gaining, he's be fucking off somewhere else for a pittance. No thanks. Loyalty goes two ways

thought Johnson looked good when he had the ball but went missing for large parts of the game. Will have to learn how to drop back more in championship as fullbacks push on more than in lge 1. Might get more of the ball in centre of the park. Yates looked very good at lone striker. Held the ball up well, pressured appropriately and set others up nicely. Noticeably he won his share of long balls, unlike Grabban and stayed on his feet in a tackle, unlike Taylor. Blackpool going up has probably added a couple of million to asking price. On that game The lad that scored both of Blackpool’s goals looked promising, put in a good shift.

Blackpool are the most successful play off side surely, they seem to win them almost every time they get there. BJ at least can have a shot at the championship next season, but he will have to step up a level.

Blackpool are the most successful play off side surely, they seem to win them almost every time they get there. BJ at least can have a shot at the championship next season, but he will have to step up a level.
like from League 1 to the Championship? I'll get me coat...

If he won't sign a contract he shouldn't expect to play at all.

No point wasting time developing someone else's player unless he is going to massively move us forward, and Brennan won't. He's too lightweight. We would ensure his mistakes and inconsistencies and by the time we started benefiting from the experience he was gaining, he's be fucking off somewhere else for a pittance. No thanks. Loyalty goes two ways
Ah, has he turned down a new contract offer? I wasn’t aware of that. Or do you just get the impression he’s not looking to stay?

I’m keen to see what he can do but I have felt like a lot of talk about Brentford / premier league being in for him seems very premature... Mighten was evidently judged to be quite far ahead of him last season and, though I like the lad a lot, he hasn’t exactly torn it up for us yet has he...