Match Thread: Lincoln City v Sunderland | Page 34 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Sunderland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suspensions - @Impish said Bridcutt and Grant are one booking away, but taht surely can't be right? @Scotimp can you clarify the rules on suspensions in the playoffs? Surely only red cards lead to suspensions, not two yellows in consecutive games?
I wish I knew the answer. There is no reference to it either in the EFL Regulations or in the FA Essential Information For Players booklet.

I wish I knew the answer. There is no reference to it either in the EFL Regulations or in the FA Essential Information For Players booklet.

Damn, not sure if two bookings in play offs mean next game suspensions or not. Was hoping I was worrying unduly.

Poole's best game for us tonight. I have criticised him many times, but he rose to the big occasion. Bursik superb. TJ excellent, but he has been the past month. The crowd superb and as others have said, their absence may well be the reason for our patchy home form.

Yes, we rode our luck on occasions, but overall I thought we were good value for a win, even if 2-0 was slightly flattering.

Surely you have to think that this is an extension of the season rather than a separate competition so bookings over the 46 must be the relevant number (he types hopefully)

Just home after watching a fantastic performance, strange watching from behind the goal but lucky both were scored into it. All outstanding, but TJ is some player so blinking quick, the keeper of course had a blinder, what is he doing next season ?, and he even had his own version of 'Farman' time. Made me realise how much work Hopper gets through and great poachers goal. You could see the second coming, keeper fractionally hesitated and a charge down that fell for us. The crowd were amazing, just so sorry for those who couldn't be there. There is no way we would have lost 9 home games with that support. They are digging the pitch up tomorrow, could do with some of that grass in my garden ! Very well organised by the Club tonight, great credit to them all. Interesting Harry got the final 5 minutes, is that his goodbye ?
Charlie Wyke knows the dark arts of football, constantly trying to wind Montsma up, pulling him, stamping on his foot, and generally getting in his face.
UTI.

Just back. First half Sunderland seemed to sit off us and were so pedestrian. I was thinking is this all they have (McGeady, TBH he does give me the heebie jeebies every time he gets the ball)?

They are very precise and formulaic in everything that they do. Even their open play is almost like a series of set pieces if that makes sense. Make no mistake though, when they stepped it up in the second half they do have another gear and this tie is far from over.

Basically it was like watching a team of programmed robots, but stop McGeady and stay switched on to their system of play and we go through.

Our players noticeably play with more freedom and even though there are clear patterns of play, it is obvious that we have a bit of an off the cuff magic just waiting to break out at any time. That unpredictability could be the difference if it comes off over the two legs.

Bursik had a debut to remember and Eyoma was immense at the back. Jorge looked off the pace throughout but that is understandable and getting the 90 mins in may just have played him into match fitness for the return. Scully made sure we came out of the blocks and although he faded a bit; I think it's worth remembering the value of that given our propensity for slow starts.

Bridcutt reads the game so well and you really notice when he does something. Hopper looks an upgrade on last years model and even the short period McGrandles was on you can see what an intelligent footballer he is. I have a theory that because he is a bit one paced he has developed a fine tuned appreciation of both space and anticipation.

All I wanted going into the second leg was for us to still be in the tie, so to be taking a two goal lead is a magnificent reward for the boys standing up against the men. I genuinely believe that as well as our lads competed, they looked like they could take it up a level at any moment. If we do whilst simultaneously keeping that man McGeady quiet, we will be heading for Wembley and a Sky love in with Blackpool no doubt.

It's going to be a long 'second half', and never was the cliche about the next goal being critical more relevant; but what a fantastic effort and position to be in.

There's a bit of talk about them going two up top for the return. I can see why they would, but if as expected McG bolsters the midfield; in conjunction with Bridders, that may hand us control with a launch pad for Rogers and Johnson in his wider role, on the counter.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see a 20 minute cameo from Bramall if Sunderland are still behind by that stage. If we can keep ahead I can really see us nicking one on the break at some point in the game.

Last edited:
Did anyone else find the kits clashed pretty badly? I thought it was horrendous. I imagine we will be in green for the away leg so won't be a problem, but I found it really hard to distinguish between the players at times.

I didn't. We were better.

I.do agree with your point though

Did anyone else find the kits clashed pretty badly? I thought it was horrendous. I imagine we will be in green for the away leg so won't be a problem, but I found it really hard to distinguish between the players at times.
Didn't notice it to be honest. I'm being pedantic here, and not to you specifically but to the phrase in general. Surely a kit "clash" is what you want. What you are talking about is more of a kit "blend" 🤣 always wound me up that phrase

They wore the same when they beat 4 0 back in December and a lot of people noticed and complained then too. Didn't work for them this time lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.