Bands You Wish You had seen... | Page 11 | Vital Football

Bands You Wish You had seen...

I saw Big Country at a place in Wakefield, "Warehouse 21" or something like that the place was called, basically old carpet shop converted to a music venue. This was long after Stuart Adamson had departed, and after Mike Peters had stopped filling the void. To be honest knowing Mike Peter's wasn't still with them we probably wouldn't have gone.
The new front man can't have been in place long as he was having to read the lyrics from a tablet strapped to his mic-stand. Added to that, either the acoustics of the place (quite a low ceiling) were shocking, or the sound man was on strike, because the sound was absolutely dreadful. Terrible gig.

I saw Big Country at a place in Wakefield, "Warehouse 21" or something like that the place was called, basically old carpet shop converted to a music venue. This was long after Stuart Adamson had departed, and after Mike Peters had stopped filling the void. To be honest knowing Mike Peter's wasn't still with them we probably wouldn't have gone.
The new front man can't have been in place long as he was having to read the lyrics from a tablet strapped to his mic-stand. Added to that, either the acoustics of the place (quite a low ceiling) were shocking, or the sound man was on strike, because the sound was absolutely dreadful. Terrible gig.

My former punk band's drummer was from Wakefield and he used to live with pantomime shock-rockers Cradle of Filth's drummer. True story.

When you worked at GW, wasn't there a band associated with them? Sabbat, or something?
They also wanted Hawkwind to do a flexi-disc for White Dwarf. Hawkwind did the Chronicle of the Black Sword album and tour at the same time as GW did the Stormbringer RPG, both based around Michael Moorcock's Elric stories.

They also wanted Hawkwind to do a flexi-disc for White Dwarf. Hawkwind did the Chronicle of the Black Sword album and tour at the same time as GW did the Stormbringer RPG, both based around Michael Moorcock's Elric stories.

Moorcock wrote for BOC as well. A very underated band. I saw them in Newcastle in 84.

Anyone else remember the Wombles appearance in the Arboretum?

It's only a very hazy memory for me, so maybe mid 70s?

Mike Batt, Chris Spedding, and Dizzy Gillespie all concealed beneath those giant womble heads, so not sure how they were 'appalling'. Confusing though, as weren't the Wombles meant to be small creatures?

Dizzy Gillespie was in the Wombles??
Wow. I've seen Dizzy Gillespie then!!

Moorcock wrote for BOC as well. A very underated band. I saw them in Newcastle in 84.
I saw BOC on the Club Ninja tour in Nottingham.

Spirits Burning is a conglomeration of BOC and Hawkwind family musicians and they have recently done albums based on the Dancers at The End Of Time series of books by MM - including contributions by him too.

I saw BOC on the Club Ninja tour in Nottingham.

Spirits Burning is a conglomeration of BOC and Hawkwind family musicians and they have recently done albums based on the Dancers at The End Of Time series of books by MM - including contributions by him too.
BOC as in Blue Oyster Cult "Don't Fear The Reaper"? Or with the Hawkwind connection, something more obscure?

Dizzy Gillespie was in the Wombles??
Wow. I've seen Dizzy Gillespie then!!
And Mike Batt was involved with Hawkwind's album and tour "Road to Utopia" of a couple of years ago - played with an orchestra. Saw them play at Sage in Gateshead on the Friday night with the orchestra, saw them play at a friend's wedding on the Saturday night at Dynamic Earth on Edinburgh and took loads of photos, then down to Skeggie for a few days for my mum's 80th.

When asked to take photos of his wedding, I initially declined "it's your wedding and if I stuff up, you get no photos". His response was - "you might want to take some photos of the band..." They had set the wedding date to coincide with the end of that part of the tour as it ended in the North.

And Mike Batt was involved with Hawkwind's album and tour "Road to Utopia" of a couple of years ago - played with an orchestra. Saw them play at Sage in Gateshead on the Friday night with the orchestra, saw them play at a friend's wedding on the Saturday night at Dynamic Earth on Edinburgh and took loads of photos, then down to Skeggie for a few days for my mum's 80th.

When asked to take photos of his wedding, I initially declined "it's your wedding and if I stuff up, you get no photos". His response was - "you might want to take some photos of the band..." They had set the wedding date to coincide with the end of that part of the tour as it ended in the North.
Hawkwind as a wedding band? Spinal Tap becomes reality!

BOC as in Blue Oyster Cult "Don't Fear The Reaper"? Or with the Hawkwind connection, something more obscure?
BOC - Mike wrote for them (Black Blade, The Great Sun Jester and Veteran of the Psychic Wars). Donald Bhuck Dharmer Roeser, Joe Bouchard and Ritchie Castellano appear on "An Alien Heat". As do Harvey Bainbridge, Mick Slattery, Adrian Shaw and Bridget Wishart of HW. Along with folk from the Damned, Arthur Brown and Nektar. And others. Coordinated by Don Falcone.

The second part "The Hollow Lands" features Eric Bloom too...

Blue Oyster Cult supported HW on some of their US tours and are linked by MM.

Hawkwind as a wedding band? Spinal Tap becomes reality!
The friend is a huge fan and - and Hawkwind have never really done the "but we can't do that" angle...

To really muddy the waters, they finished the second part of the tour at the Royal Albert Hall...

Blue Oyster Cult. I don't really do obscure Hawkind connections. You need Barney for that. 😁
Obscure...

We've just done well to keep the marvellous scene, vibe and interactions away from the masses - obscure? No. Hidden and carefully concealed? Probably. Almost horded...

The friend is a huge fan and - and Hawkwind have never really done the "but we can't do that" angle...

To really muddy the waters, they finished the second part of the tour at the Royal Albert Hall...
And Arthur Brown is legally able to conduct weddings too...

"I am the god of hellfire!!!"