The Official RIP Thread | Page 172 | Vital Football

The Official RIP Thread

Remembering Phil the Greek...

Plenty more where these came from :oops:

https://inews.co.uk/light-relief/jo...f-edinburgh-birthday-98-gaffes-98-years-10305

“If you stay here much longer, you will go home with slitty eyes,” he remarked to 21-year-old British student Simon Kerby during a visit to China in 1986.

“Do you still throw spears at each other?” he asked Aboriginal leader William Brin at the Aboriginal Cultural Park in Queensland in 2002.

“Do people trip over you?” he asked a wheelchair-bound nursing-home resident in 2002.

“Who do you sponge off?” he asked women at a community centre in Barking and Dagenham in 2015.

“Are you all one family?” he asked of multi-ethnic dance troupe Diversity at the Royal Variety Performance in 2009.

Some of these are unbelievable. We’ll never get someone who can say these sorts of things in such a privileged position and get away with it. I am cracking up

Edit: just onto the terrorism and Dunblane ones, and they aren’t funny

Some of these are unbelievable. We’ll never get someone who can say these sorts of things in such a privileged position and get away with it. I am cracking up

Basically, as my Grandpa would speak .

Just completely generational i guess . Things have moved on , I think ......

Last edited:

Edit: just onto the terrorism and Dunblane ones, and they aren’t funny

Thing is, cracking up, he was representing this country - the disabled ones are vile. He was vile though, so no shock.

It is one thing a comedian, or a closet racist, but this berk was doing it on our £££

Thing is, cracking up, he was representing this country - the disabled ones are vile. He was vile though, so no shock.

It is one thing a comedian, or a closet racist, but this berk was doing it on our £££

Yes, there are some shockers like the fire alarms to the lady who’s kids died in a house fire

Yes, there are some shockers like the fire alarms to the lady who’s kids died in a house fire

Thing is, if I did it, I don't think I'd have a forum left, most would have told me to (quite rightly) fuck off.

Or if anyone did it on facebook, etc.

Be a comedian, fine, but all this lamenting is so ott.

Anyway, whatever, I refuse to be over worried if people want to doff their caps to this sort of person, totally their choice. Not for me.

I'm sure I could sum up in 2 mins what they are going to spend the next 12hrs saying about him. Thank Gawd I have Sky Sports.

Oh they will bring it on there too if they can! I couldn't even escape with the radio. Even my local radio was asking people to text and email in with three tributes.

I gave up and asked Echo to play music by Pink Floyd whilst stating she better not take a break in it for anymore breaking news 😏

The death of Prince Philip is going to be on BBC and ITV nearly non stop for the next two days, at a time where everyone is grateful for their health after a year of this pandemic so mourning for a single 99-year-old whatever his status, is not top of the vast majority of the British public’s interests right now I would imagine.

Last edited:
The death of Prince Philip is going on BBC and ITV nearly non stop for the next two days, at a time where everyone is grateful for their health after a year of this pandemic so mourning for a single 99-year-old whatever his status, is not top of the vast majority of the British public’s interests right now I would imagine.

People still watch BBC and ITV ?

Wow. I never knew :lol:

Doesn't bother me tbh as there are hundreds of other channels, platforms to watch. Now where's that new fangled thing called the remote control....

The coverage is nauseating, unflinching this , unwavering that, no mention of blatant racist, bully or greedy ****.

I'm quite surprised no W ankers have been on protesting or slagging the bloke off in this day and age. Perhaps we are not such a bad country after all. The media normally have to put out some minority views to balance the books sort of thing.
Seems respect has returned for the Great Grandfather of George and Grandad to our very own Prince William.

I'm quite surprised no W ankers have been on protesting or slagging the bloke off in this day and age. Perhaps we are not such a bad country after all. The media normally have to put out some minority views to balance the books sort of thing.
Seems respect has returned for the Great Grandfather of George and Grandad to our very own Prince William.

I think you either feel sad about his death, or you don’t. I can’t see many minority/protest groups being worked up about it enough to protest? No doubt Piers Corbyn is working on something as we speak though

I think you either feel sad about his death, or you don’t. I can’t see many minority/protest groups being worked up about it enough to protest? No doubt Piers Corbyn is working on something as we speak though

I'm not upset as I don't know him personally, he's a bloke that has been around all of our lives, I respect his family at this time, just as I would anyone who has lost their Grandad, Dad.
I'm just waiting for the usual attack from some bellend, and yes it probably will be Corbyn

I'm not upset as I don't know him personally, he's a bloke that has been around all of our lives, I respect his family at this time, just as I would anyone who has lost their Grandad, Dad.
I'm just waiting for the usual attack from some bellend, and yes it probably will be Corbyn

Whatever you think of him - and I’m not going to pretend all of my elders of that generation were the most PC at times - he’s someone dad and grandad as you say.

The year we’ve had though he’s done exceptionally well to get to 99, my thoughts are spared more for people who didn’t get to see their loved ones before they died this year in horrible circumstances. Bored of Phil on the tele already to be honest

Whatever you think of him - and I’m not going to pretend all of my elders of that generation were the most PC at times - he’s someone dad and grandad as you say.

The year we’ve had though he’s done exceptionally well to get to 99, my thoughts are spared more for people who didn’t get to see their loved ones before they died this year in horrible circumstances. Bored of Phil on the tele already to be honest

I just watch something else, just not MOTD at the moment.

Perhaps I'm just tired from work but those quotes from Phil don't read so well. I suppose it's what they really think of the rest of society, put across in a jokey way.

Perhaps I'm just tired from work but those quotes from Phil don't read so well. I suppose it's what they really think of the rest of society, put across in a jokey way.

Perhaps, but I do think it’s a generational thing and his generation is dieing off if it they haven’t already. Some of the quotes though as I got further down just weren’t funny. There’s probably an element of him trying to bring humour to a situation too, but joking about fire alarms to a lady who lost her children in a fire isn’t a time to do that.

I’ve not researched the good stuff he did, mainly because I can’t be arsed. Probably two sides to him like everyone.

Thing with the royals, doing good things is just the minimum - I’d do good things if I was born into wealth and only had to work two weeks of my life!

Last edited:
Perhaps, but I do think it’s a generational thing and his generation is dieing off if it they haven’t already. Some of the quotes though as I got further down just weren’t funny. There’s probably an element of him trying to bring humour to a situation too, but joking about fire alarms to a lady who lost her children in a fire isn’t a time to do that.

I’ve researched the good stuff he did, mainly because I can’t be arsed. Probably two sides to him like everyone.

Thing with the royals, doing good things is just the minimum - I’d do good things if I was born into wealth and only had to work two weeks of my life!

Yes, think he was on £360k a year to do some good things. Would have been nice to do the good things without the nasty comments really. Another one that annoys me - and seems to delighted some people - is a photographer doing a royal family photo, probably the highlight of his career, wants to get it right, and this man say 'just take the fucking photo'. Lovely impression. Was it too hard to just sit there and be nice?