The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 392 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
. Does anyone seriously think they don't see what everyone else sees.
I take your point Sir Den, but just take a look at the short video in the Ross Barkley thread and tell me that DS doesn't see that. I saw it live and was screaming at the screen for him to track back and help out. To add, this is not the first time that this has happened.
Previous managers such as Saunders, Atkinson, Gregory and Little would not tolerate such a lack of effort and players not putting in a shift would be training with the kids and never let any where the matchday squad and not allowed on the pitch.
It is not as though we don't have any alternatives to Barkley and I cannot understand why he is still allowed game time - unless there is something in the loan deal contract that says that he plays if fit. We can all see that he is not up to the job and I am at odds to understand where the blinkers around Barkley have come from.

Unfortunately ours is also stubborn just as the man before him. He has the upcoming transfer window to save himself. But from what I read posted by someone on here he thinks the squad is good enough and might add a few if found for the right amount :help::slap:

No manager with his head screwed on is going to upset the few players he does have, by shouting his mouth off in the media that we need half a new team. Interviews with managers aren't worth listening to half the time as very rarely will they be completely open and honest. Most of what fans want to hear is usually kept in-house.

I take your point Sir Den, but just take a look at the short video in the Ross Barkley thread and tell me that DS doesn't see that. I saw it live and was screaming at the screen for him to track back and help out. To add, this is not the first time that this has happened.
Previous managers such as Saunders, Atkinson, Gregory and Little would not tolerate such a lack of effort and players not putting in a shift would be training with the kids and never let any where the matchday squad and not allowed on the pitch.
It is not as though we don't have any alternatives to Barkley and I cannot understand why he is still allowed game time - unless there is something in the loan deal contract that says that he plays if fit. We can all see that he is not up to the job and I am at odds to understand where the blinkers around Barkley have come from.

Absolutely agree , but the flip side is that Deano is charged with trying to get the best out of Barkley. It was mentioned by a few on here before the game that it might be a good time to play Barkley against Liverpool because of the Everton rivalry and maybe Deano thought it might spark him in to life , especially coming off the bench.

Didn't work granted , but those are the decisions managers live and die by. It is a gamble at the end of the day and you look a genius if it comes off and silly if it doesn't.

At the nub end of the season, when he can do nothing about it, he isn't going to ay otherwise.

I hope what he said was just to deceive the selling clubs into thinking we are not overly interested in their players so that they don't raise the asking price by a lot.

I don't think that the contract says so or else he would have played in every single game since returning from injury. I can understand why he was played in this game, however he has shown time and again this season since his return that he does not have what it takes to play for us further this season whether on loan or as purchase. If Dean is learning as they he should not be playing him ever again unless we have no choice as in the case of injuries to other midfielders. However, I have zero confidence in that happening and won't be shocked to see him again this season doing the same he did in that video clip.

No manager with his head screwed on is going to upset the few players he does have, by shouting his mouth off in the media that we need half a new team. Interviews with managers aren't worth listening to half the time as very rarely will they be completely open and honest. Most of what fans want to hear is usually kept in-house.

The players better show improvement on the pitch if they can't handle being told indirectly that they would be replaced. Frankly, I don't think that the players are not expecting to be replaced given their unsatisfactory performances. And what about the impression it creates on fans on hearing he thinks the squad is good enough unless he meant good enough to go down?

The players better show improvement on the pitch if they can't handle being told indirectly that they would be replaced. Frankly, I don't think that the players are not expecting to be replaced given their unsatisfactory performances. And what about the impression it creates on fans on hearing he thinks the squad is good enough unless he meant good enough to go down?

Bollox to anyone who gets upset that they cant find out what is going on behind closed doors. Its always been that way, but nowadays people expect more as we have 24 hour rolling coverage on sports news channels. Deanos no different to most managers on that.
If he came out in the media saying he wanted to replace half the team, the same people on here would be criticising him for de-motivating them. When you are on a bad run of form and losing games you can do nothing right, no matter what he says it will be used to bash him. Its one of the reasons why I never take any notice of after match interviews and get mystified why people get so hung up on them

Bollox to anyone who gets upset that they cant find out what is going on behind closed doors. Its always been that way, but nowadays people expect more as we have 24 hour rolling coverage on sports news channels. Deanos no different to most managers on that.
If he came out in the media saying he wanted to replace half the team, the same people on here would be criticising him for de-motivating them. When you are on a bad run of form and losing games you can do nothing right, no matter what he says it will be used to bash him. Its one of the reasons why I never take any notice of after match interviews and get mystified why people get so hung up on them

I personally think he should have said that they will assess the quality of the squad once the season ends. That would have kept both players and fans guessing. By saying he thinks the squad is good enough he has just provided more ammunition to criticise him.

I personally think he should have said that they will assess the quality of the squad once the season ends. That would have kept both players and fans guessing. By saying he thinks the squad is good enough he has just provided more ammunition to criticise him.

As I said, I dont read too much into the interviews as they rarely give anything away. He has also mentioned previously that this Summer will be the one where we look to push on and add real quality to the squad.
Transfer strategy isnt all down to Deano either - Lange & Co will be putting names forward and no manager is going to turn down the opportunity to increase his squad if they can get them.

Last edited:
There is a lot of arrogance from some on here to think that Deano and the coaching staff know nothing about football.

I would hazard a guess privately that Deano is well aware of our weaknesses , but no way will he come out and say so in public.

Think about it , he has been in football for a long long time , he is an intelligent man who has people of vast experience and knowledge on his coaching staff who know the game . Does anyone seriously think they don't see what everyone else sees.

I would expect this to be addressed in the summer , but to say they are "inept" and clueless is just plain nonsense.
Add to that the fact he has taken us from bottom half Championship to top half Premier League in a couple of seasons, after Steve Bruce left us in an horrific state. He does know what he's doing. He will have his limits eventually but the outrage about the Liverpool performance has been over the top IMO.

Actually I love people comparing us to Arsenal , and moaning because we didn't beat Liverpool at Anfield.

Just shows how far we have come under Deano's management.
slight caveat being Liverpool had a couple of YTS kids playing centre backs & haven't won at home in 5 months and only scored once from open play. We should be doing much better but fair play for trying to spin it

Two years ago almost to the day we were ecstatic beating Rotherham with 10 men....! Bloody Rotherham for God’s sake! And two years on we’re disappointed to lose at Anfield! Very easy for those who continually berate his ability but are seemingly reluctant to acknowledge anything he has got right, to conveniently forget what has been achieved in a relatively short space of time. Whilst being aware of his weaknesses, I think most can appreciate the job he’s done but there are some who‘ll continue to bang the drum about how useless he is until he’s gone and will constantly point out what he’s not getting right in order to eventually declare they were right all along when he does eventually leave! Still won’t diminish the fact that thus far the club is in a much better state than when he arrived and for that alone he deserves respect. Jury for most of us I think is still out on whether he can take us to the next level but what he’s done thus far more than warrants him at least being given the chance to do so.

Two years ago almost to the day we were ecstatic beating Rotherham with 10 men....! Bloody Rotherham for God’s sake! And two years on we’re disappointed to lose at Anfield! Very easy for those who continually berate his ability but are seemingly reluctant to acknowledge anything he has got right, to conveniently forget what has been achieved in a relatively short space of time. Whilst being aware of his weaknesses, I think most can appreciate the job he’s done but there are some who‘ll continue to bang the drum about how useless he is until he’s gone and will constantly point out what he’s not getting right in order to eventually declare they were right all along when he does eventually leave! Still won’t diminish the fact that thus far the club is in a much better state than when he arrived and for that alone he deserves respect. Jury for most of us I think is still out on whether he can take us to the next level but what he’s done thus far more than warrants him at least being given the chance to do so.

Who got us the win in that game?

Status
Not open for further replies.