Aston Villa v Tottenham Match Thread - Sun 21 March @ 19:30 - Sky | Page 38 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Tottenham Match Thread - Sun 21 March @ 19:30 - Sky

Neville rightly points out that last night Spurs had the advantage of extra quality he could put on the pitch. Fair enough. But how does that explain our performances against the likes of Burnley, Brighton and the rest? One thing is certain that we have one of the worst completed pass records in the league and you could see that last night. We look like one of those teams that gets promoted, blazes away at the start of the season, gets found out, and starts to drop like a stone. If the fall stops when Jack returns it will just prove we are a one man creative force and that can’t be acceptable after all the money we’ve spent.
I feel traitorous WM. Generally agree with you and the other old codger Villan. Gulf between Premiership (Doug?) and championship is massive. Likely promoted clubs this season are Norwich, Watford and may be Bournemouth'. Relegated teams may well be Baggies, Blades and Fulham. We have closed the gap on the likes of Spurs, Arsenal and Everton but there is much still to do. Well satisfied with this season and another batch of signings of this years quality will improve us again. Remember dissatisfaction with Saunders and Taylor after promotion. Calm down Villans, our beautiful football club is going to reclaim our traditional place amongst football's elite.

Are we just going through an O'Neil style of burn out? Too much put into the game at the start beginning to find us out? Last night we looked lethargic again. Also first signs of some arguing in defense - Mings throwing his arms up; Konsa swearing at someone I couldn't see plus one of the few panics from Martinez.
The defense has covered a lot of cracks this season IMHO and last night they didn't Watkins was nowhere near effective, wide men very inconsistent. (Traore has some great flicks but lacks concentration).

Davis helped the attack when he came on, surely its time to give him the chance to get up to speed? (OK I know he's not quick but you know what I mean.) This thought adds to the general issue: we've proudly used the fewest players, almost, and we are getting caught out by fitness, freshness and a shallow squad.

I am certain if Jack returns and is back in form we will automatically look like a much better team, so these excuses about being unfit, lethargic etc would prove to be baseless. Agree regarding Davis, he needs to be used more in a 2 up top formation to use his strengths.

Dean Smith on a quiz show.

So Dean, Aston Villa are on a very poor run but the team is also safe from relegation, what do you think you should do?

A. Nothing just leave it the same
B. Try resting players and giving others a go
C. Try a different formation
D. Fucking anything just try please

Dean..Errmm I’ll go (A)
Host...But that’s not working
Dean..I’m still going with (A)
Host...I don’t think that’s right though
Dean..I’ll ask my staff...........we’re going (A)
Host...Get fucked Dean.
if we are just happy that we are safe this season and have settled for that then why cant we blood a few of the younger lads like barry etc give them a bit of game time because they cant do any worse than the high earning donkeys that he does pick

The case study the Villa management and owners need to closely look at is Sheff Utd. 8th to bottom in hyper speed.
The correlations are quite unnerving. Low goalscorers albeit don't concede many, inexperienced manager at this level.

I had totally forgotten about Sheff as I was focusing on Saints as a heads-up on our situation since the last 14 games. I am sure none of those Sheff fans must have predicted them to go down. But unfortunately instead of learning a lesson from their situation you would read some say they don't give a fuck about them, well neither do I, but I do give a fuck about not wanting to end up like them !

how can a manager watch his side play 45 minutes and not have a single shot at goal and send the same players out in the second half playing the same system that never worked for the first 45
why cant he change it about now and then .iv seen top managers make player changes and system changes after 15 minutes of a game because they can see thats whats needed but smith only has one way of playing and without jack it dont work and thats the price you pay when you build a team around a single player

if we are just happy that we are safe this season and have settled for that then why cant we blood a few of the younger lads like barry etc give them a bit of game time because they cant do any worse than the high earning donkeys that he does pick

👍We finished 17th last season, so if we are satisfied with just a single placed improvement year on year, then we'd have to wait for 11 years more to get into the top 6.

I had totally forgotten about Sheff as I was focusing on Saints as a heads-up on our situation since the last 14 games. I am sure none of those Sheff fans must have predicted them to go down. But unfortunately instead of learning a lesson from their situation you would read some say they don't give a fuck about them, well neither do I, but I do give a fuck about not wanting to end up like them !
we will deffo go down next season if grealish goes and we dont sign seasoned pros .if we keep shopping in the championship at best we are just a good championship side

how can a manager watch his side play 45 minutes and not have a single shot at goal and send the same players out in the second half playing the same system that never worked for the first 45
why cant he change it about now and then .iv seen top managers make player changes and system changes after 15 minutes of a game because they can see thats whats needed but smith only has one way of playing and without jack it dont work and thats the price you pay when you build a team around a single player

Does not matter as some will tell you we need to wait till the season ends to see how much worse it can get before starting to think about what improvement measures we need to take nevermind actually doing !

another poor show .yes we had lots of the ball again last night but nothing to show for it again i thought watkins would have played the game of his life last night following his call up but i think he was poor and bamford must be seething
its so clear that without grealish we would be bottom 4 because we have no real quality .how the hell chelsea put a £30 +million value on barkley i will never know
but jacks price should be going up every time we play so people can see how one player can make such a difference and make a bottom 4 club into a top 6 club had he been playing thats where i think we could be
so many people saying how well we have done this season . well thats crap how can a team go from looking so good and winning games and keeping clean sheets to looking clueless and losing games and letting in goals

Simple answer: Super Jack Grealish 🤘

we will deffo go down next season if grealish goes and we dont sign seasoned pros .if we keep shopping in the championship at best we are just a good championship side

There are many who will also tell you he is going nowhere as if they know him personally ! I am already prepared to see him go as we are a long way from being a trophy winning team.

What an idiotic way of looking at it.

You know what people mean when they talk about constant improvement.

Sarcastic comments like that don't do you any favours in my opinion.
It’s not idiotic, it’s a tongue in cheek comment about some being over the moon with small increments of improvement, all the while hundreds of millions are being spent to achieve that.

It’s not idiotic, it’s a tongue in cheek comment about some being over the moon with small increments of improvement, all the while hundreds of millions are being spent to achieve that.

Thanks for explaining the obvious to him 👍😀. He was the also the same person who said there are some of us enjoying the defeat to Spurs yesterday when actually based on the comments that I read I did not find any hint of.

There is so much work still left to be done. We need to be an established prem team first before thinking about Europe. We can only hope that we buy top players in the summer window but there is a big risk as spending big money does not guarantee we will get the kind of performance we have paid for. So we will probably need to keep spending money till we get it right however long that may take. So are the owners ready to take the risk?

How is that negative. You seriously believe we are currently playing like a team who have won 12 in 28 🤣

Listen. Nowhere have I said anything of the sort. Don't treat me as a fool mate I maybe many things but I am not stupid. I have followed Villa since 1969 and have seen enough football to have a fair idea of what's what.
I don't need you to tell me in your sarcastic manner that we aren't playing well at the moment , but compared to the last 10 years of premiership football of which I saw virtually every game I will take this season all day long. Not sure when you started following us but those years were pretty much unremitting misery.

Now I think we are in the midst of a major rebuilding of the squad and are far from finished. I think we have a clear plan set out by the owners of how we are going to get where they want to be and so far they haven't put a foot wrong , and this type of stuff is far far removed from the owners we have previously had , so again I am prepared to be patient.

God knows what some would have thought when Ron Saunders was rebuilding the side in 1978 and 1979 I will tell you that some of the football wasn't pretty then either ,and if you learn anything it's that it take a quite a while to build a successful team with proper foundations.

Unfortunately in this "I want it now" era that doesn't seem to be good enough.

It looked like a game of two poor teams to me, Moura and Kane were the quality that stood out. Having said that it was only 2 silly mistakes that cost us defensively, I thought we looked fairly solid at the back apart from that.
Thought Deano let himself down with the subs. Sanson looked the better of the 3 mids to me, made no sense to take him off. Trez was bloody awful again, Keinan should have come on for him 20 minutes before he did.

Exactly how I saw it on every one of those points.

Didn’t get the Sanson focus in the match thread if I’m honest, he had a few bad touches but SJM lost the ball more and Luiz was hardly on the ball at all. My bar is set low for Sanson based on our history of French players, so actually to me his performance last night was a encouraging. He looked dangerous when venturing down the left, imagine if he has Jack overlapping or cutting inside him?

Over the game the teams were about evens, with maybe us scraping it. For most of the first half Spurs weren't in it; the question was more when would Spurs crap defence cave in rather than if. But they didn't, and two soft goals gave them the match.

Neither team was great, neither team was a disaster. Two generally good teams with a few noticeable weaknesses.