The Tics vs The Addicks | Page 7 | Vital Football

The Tics vs The Addicks

• Thread starter Victor Moses ;)
  • Start date
No they aren't. The table does not lie and fans need to accept that. We could be playing this season until 2022 and we'd still have fans on here banging on about how they've proved they are good enough in the past. No they haven't and no they aren't.

No one is saying we deserve to be higher or the league table is wrong, the point is we've shown we can compete with the best in the league when we up our work rate and intensity. The point is that work rate and intensity would be enough to get results against the lessee sides but we dont ever show it when we need it. Instead we turn in inept performances with no fight or urgency that are unrecognisable from the level we have seen against many of the top sides.

This team has more ability in the camp than possibly any of the other relegation sides but the difference is we make loads more mistakes and dont turn up against anyone but the top sides. If you have a team so inferior in ability that your best isnt enough then you hold your hands up. But that isnt us as our best is good enough the issue is they dont show it enough. Mentality and organisation are what is killing us more than calibur of player.

As we've discussed before there is no good excuse why we havent got a full coaching department in. There has been money available and there are bound to be loads of out of work coaches living locally who'd come in until the end of the season if we advertised the position. If coachung numbers is the issue it's easily solved and not worth getting relegated for.

You may or may not be right re your assumptions that
a) there are loads of out of work, local coaches, who
b) would take a contract just for this season

However, we still don't know whether or not the Admins are happy to recruit them.

Regardless, your critique was critical of the current coaching set-up, whilst seemingly ignoring the shortfall.

Sometimes, experienced pros need to stand up and take ownership for their own performances ............ especially when/if they're as good as you say they are.

I can see blame being deserved across many parties for our current plight, but I really really struggle with pushing too much of it toward the dregs of what used to be our coaching set-up.

No one is saying we deserve to be higher or the league table is wrong, the point is we've shown we can compete with the best in the league when we up our work rate and intensity. The point is that work rate and intensity would be enough to get results against the lessee sides but we dont ever show it when we need it. Instead we turn in inept performances with no fight or urgency that are unrecognisable from the level we have seen against many of the top sides.

This team has more ability in the camp than possibly any of the other relegation sides but the difference is we make loads more mistakes and dont turn up against anyone but the top sides. If you have a team so inferior in ability that your best isnt enough then you hold your hands up. But that isnt us as our best is good enough the issue is they dont show it enough. Mentality and organisation are what is killing us more than calibur of player.
Absolutely spot on that KDZ 👍

However, we still don't know whether or not the Admins are happy to recruit them.

Regardless, your critique was critical of the current coaching set-up, whilst seemingly ignoring the shortfall.

Sometimes, experienced pros need to stand up and take ownership for their own performances ............ especially when/if they're as good as you say they are.

I can see blame being deserved across many parties for our current plight, but I really really struggle with pushing too much of it toward the dregs of what used to be our coaching set-up.
I hold a level 1 coaching badge and would be happy to help pro bono 😉
As a former defender in Wigan Ammy league sure I could offer some basic tips to our comedy back line which would improve current standard - putting a name on a ball for a start !🤣

This team has more ability in the camp than possibly any of the other relegation sides but the difference is we make loads more mistakes and don't turn up against anyone but the top sides. If you have a team so inferior in ability that your best isn't enough then you hold your hands up. But that isnt us as our best is good enough the issue is they dont show it enough. Mentality and organisation are what is killing us more than calibur of player.

I'm sorry but we have an inferior team made up of players nobody else wanted & youngsters experiencing their first tastes of senior football.
That's not to say on occasions that they won't be able to get surprise results but it's in the same sense that you see non-league teams beat league teams in the FA Cup year after year - in any particular game all manner of things can happen which means a technically (& ability wise) inferior team can win. But if you played the teams against each other week after week then the higher league side would win on the vast majority of occasions
Just coz Latics beat City in 2018 under Paul Cook doesn't mean that we'd have beaten them every week
The players on the whole just aren't good enough, individually or collectively, & i can accept that given the circumstances - but that's why they make regular mistakes. Just coz they've put in decent performances recently against Posh & Lincoln doesn't mean that's indicative of the level they're capable of playing every week & maybe the defeats to the likes of Swindon, Rochdale etc.. are more indicative as they happen much more regularly
I also feel that the defensive errors are covering up the fact that the teams quite simply doesn't create enough chances. Week after week we're having 1,2 or 3 attempts on target & it isn't enough to be consistently winning games. Again, its coz they're just not as good as most of the other sides
A bigger coaching team would allow the likes of Richardson & Rioch to concentrate on the bigger plan as such but you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear

I hold a level 1 coaching badge and would be happy to help pro bono 😉
As a former defender in Wigan Ammy league sure I could offer some basic tips to our comedy back line which would improve current standard - putting a name on a ball for a start !🤣

Make an offer. I'm sure Gerald will be happy to take your call.

Gav's looking forward to meeting you too I believe.
:whist:

I'm sorry but we have an inferior team made up of players nobody else wanted & youngsters experiencing their first tastes of senior football.
That's not to say on occasions that they won't be able to get surprise results but it's in the same sense that you see non-league teams beat league teams in the FA Cup year after year - in any particular game all manner of things can happen which means a technically (& ability wise) inferior team can win. But if you played the teams against each other week after week then the higher league side would win on the vast majority of occasions
Just coz Latics beat City in 2018 under Paul Cook doesn't mean that we'd have beaten them every week
The players on the whole just aren't good enough, individually or collectively, & i can accept that given the circumstances - but that's why they make regular mistakes. Just coz they've put in decent performances recently against Posh & Lincoln doesn't mean that's indicative of the level they're capable of playing every week & maybe the defeats to the likes of Swindon, Rochdale etc.. are more indicative as they happen much more regularly
I also feel that the defensive errors are covering up the fact that the teams quite simply doesn't create enough chances. Week after week we're having 1,2 or 3 attempts on target & it isn't enough to be consistently winning games. Again, its coz they're just not as good as most of the other sides
A bigger coaching team would allow the likes of Richardson & Rioch to concentrate on the bigger plan as such but you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear
I would agree with this. Dan Gardner is a classic example. For the 65 mins he played against Peterborough he was great. Put himself about, closed down and worked hard. But you won’t get that from him for another few games. He will put in two half decent performances every 10 games. It is why he (and other players in our squad) are playing for us and at this level. I think Gardner has scored one goal for us and I can’t remember many assists either. For an attacking player that is just not good enough. The only players who are more consistent and have more end product (in the stacking third) are Lang and more recently Aasgard, but he is just a kid who we can’t pin our hopes on. If we are not going to test opposition keepers we have no chance especially with the issues we have with the keeper and defence. If we stay up this season it would be on a par with every great escape we have ever had because we have the worst squad we have had for some time. We will need Jones and the defence to make virtually no cock-ups for the rest of the season. I’m not hopeful and I’m normally optimistic about our chances

I think that the squad we have is probably no better or no worse than the teams around us. The problem for me is that due to the off field problems we are short in numbers and given the amount of games being played injuries are playing a big part.

Most of the teams in this division are struggling with injuries and fitness levels due to the constant Saturday/ Tuesday fixtures being played week in week out. Unfortunately for us we are restricted on squad numbers and for a period were unable to fill the bench.

The loss of players due to injury has forced changes on a regular basis to the team that has been put out and it is well known that consistency in team selection is a key part of success.

We have been short of key players in midfield, attack and at the back throughout the season. The likes of Pearce, Evans, Proctor and last game Lang have seriously depleted the team of attacking threat and midfield stability, the loss of the younger players in Joseph, Long and Merrie robbed us of a great deal of energy and exuberance. Some of these players will return and hopefully add to the overall performance, but there is also the possibility of other players then being sidelined, it is a vicious circle that will only be broken when the takeover is completed and squad restrictions lifted.

Whether that happens sooner or later will decide our fate.

Last edited:

Agreed....just look at the players in the Charlton squad, compared to ours. We did well, really. Along with all the injuries. I don't think the lads deserved all the criticism after the game.

But it's not just Posh and Lincoln, we've played 10 games against the top 8 sides we've played well in 7 or 8 of those games and won 4. That shows it's not a fluke or a one off it's a regular occurance that we up our game on for better oposition.

Compare that to the rest of the league when we've played 22 games, played well about 6 or 7 times and got 3 wins.

If it was only ability alone costing us the levels of fight and intensity wouldnt be so drastically different in the games against the top and bottom side. But it's unrecognisable when you see us play the better sides in the league compared to everyone else - we look like a completely different team we go from hard working, brave, battlers to lazy, hiding and bullied.

This teams issue is more down to mentality than pure lack ability - this league is rubbish and if we turned up every game we wouldnt win every week but we'd not be in the bottom 4. Burtons team is rubbish they werent able to spend anything in Jan or bring in any proven names but they change manager and all he did is organised and motivate them and suddenly the only team below us all season are sailing into midtable with 4 wins out of 5. Just goes to show how little quality there is at the bottom and if you have a manager able to get the team organised and motivated even the worst team in the league all year can string wins together.

If Richardson said to admin in January 'i cant keep us up without a coaching staff' i doubt admin wouldve said 'no you cant have any coaches but we'll buy you 2 centre backs to sit on the bench' the budget was there and admin said they got him in who he wanted. So why wasnt Liam asking for coaching staff instead of bringing in 10 new players. Surley 7 or 8 new players and 2 or 3 coaches wouldve been more sensible.

Also how come the youth teams continue to get good results? Presumably if the lack of coaching staff means you cant do a good job then they must still have some coaches - couldnt we draft them into the first team at the moment.

I dont for a second believe we are without coaching staff because we couldnt have got them before now. The money was there i wonder if they mistakenly prioritised extra players and overestimated their coaching ability and only now they realise it's an issue after the money was spent.

A perfect summary of our current motley bunch.

But it's not just Posh and Lincoln, we've played 10 games against the top 8 sides we've played well in 7 or 8 of those games and won 4. That shows it's not a fluke or a one off it's a regular occurance that we up our game on for better oposition.

Compare that to the rest of the league when we've played 22 games, played well about 6 or 7 times and got 3 wins.

If it was only ability alone costing us the levels of fight and intensity wouldnt be so drastically different in the games against the top and bottom side. But it's unrecognisable when you see us play the better sides in the league compared to everyone else - we look like a completely different team we go from hard working, brave, battlers to lazy, hiding and bullied.

This teams issue is more down to mentality than pure lack ability - this league is rubbish and if we turned up every game we wouldnt win every week but we'd not be in the bottom 4. Burtons team is rubbish they werent able to spend anything in Jan or bring in any proven names but they change manager and all he did is organised and motivate them and suddenly the only team below us all season are sailing into midtable with 4 wins out of 5. Just goes to show how little quality there is at the bottom and if you have a manager able to get the team organised and motivated even the worst team in the league all year can string wins together.

In fairness, I didn't say that it was only lack of ability but it's the major part of it - coupled with (as TB pointed out) a small squad & injuries and no doubt a psychological aspect (although I'd argue that the better players are much more switched on in that respect too).
I used one off cup games as an example of how it can happen that inferior sides beat better ones you've twisted the fluke & one offs bit somewhat. Over the course of a 46 game season the poorer teams will put in some regular good performances & may even go on the odd little run but at the end of it all the teams with the poorest players, management etc.. are always down at the bottom. That's how it works

The fact is that they're just not good enough on the whole - a keeper who couldn't catch a cold & stands in concrete boots on his line, centre halves who regularly allow centre forwards to brush through 2 of them, a right back who consistently gets sucked into the middle & leaves his man free down the flank & the list goes on
And we're pretty regularly having 2-3 shots on target a game regardless of who the opposition is
Not all this is "more down to mentality than lack of ability", it's the other way round
And to be honest I've seen it as Latics went through the leagues - as a top club we often reserved our worst performances against the teams down at the bottom. I seem to remember us getting turned over at home by Port Vale & Plymouth who were down at the bottom whilst we were running away with league 1 in 2002/2003 (I may have my seasons or teams wrong). Doesn't mean that Port Vale & Plymouth were in false positions based on the talent in their squad coz they were able to get a result against us. Just that on the day everything fell into place for them, out of place for us etc.. It happens

In fairness, I didn't say that it was only lack of ability but it's the major part of it - coupled with (as TB pointed out) a small squad & injuries and no doubt a psychological aspect (although I'd argue that the better players are much more switched on in that respect too).
I used one off cup games as an example of how it can happen that inferior sides beat better ones you've twisted the fluke & one offs bit somewhat. Over the course of a 46 game season the poorer teams will put in some regular good performances & may even go on the odd little run but at the end of it all the teams with the poorest players, management etc.. are always down at the bottom. That's how it works

The fact is that they're just not good enough on the whole - a keeper who couldn't catch a cold & stands in concrete boots on his line, centre halves who regularly allow centre forwards to brush through 2 of them, a right back who consistently gets sucked into the middle & leaves his man free down the flank & the list goes on
And we're pretty regularly having 2-3 shots on target a game regardless of who the opposition is
Not all this is "more down to mentality than lack of ability", it's the other way round
And to be honest I've seen it as Latics went through the leagues - as a top club we often reserved our worst performances against the teams down at the bottom. I seem to remember us getting turned over at home by Port Vale & Plymouth who were down at the bottom whilst we were running away with league 1 in 2002/2003 (I may have my seasons or teams wrong). Doesn't mean that Port Vale & Plymouth were in false positions based on the talent in their squad coz they were able to get a result against us. Just that on the day everything fell into place for them, out of place for us etc.. It happens

No doubting we aren't overall a good side, but we shouldn't be in the bottom 4.

If we turned up at in in the games we couldn't be arsed in we'd have not have got rolled over by some of the garbage sides we've played and the handful of points would've kept us out of the bottom 4. For example we didn't look interested at all against Swindon in a 6 recently pointer - they were woeful and had 10 men for 30 mins but we conspired to be even worse. If the lads were battling for everything and showing urgency and throwing everything at them and came up short you can say lack of ability but they just didn't look interested. That was a poor attitude and lack of any application making failure guaranteed rather than giving it our best and coming up short on ability. We've done that is so many games this season, first half against Wimbledon is another recent one that springs to mind.

Tilt and Ojo were i believe player of the season at this level, Darikwa has been a good Championship player for a number of seasons, Wooton played regulary in the Championship for Leeds for 3 seasons yet you wouldn't know it when they play for us.

We might have to agree to disagree - but if this exact same set of players was motivated and organised we wouldn't be saying they were as bad as results suggest. I think they'd be lower mid table comfortably, we wouldn't be ripping up any trees but we'd be picking up points to keep the relegation places at arms length.

No doubting we aren't overall a good side, but we shouldn't be in the bottom 4.

If we turned up at in in the games we couldn't be arsed in we'd have not have got rolled over by some of the garbage sides we've played and the handful of points would've kept us out of the bottom 4. For example we didn't look interested at all against Swindon in a 6 recently pointer - they were woeful and had 10 men for 30 mins but we conspired to be even worse. If the lads were battling for everything and showing urgency and throwing everything at them and came up short you can say lack of ability but they just didn't look interested. That was a poor attitude and lack of any application making failure guaranteed rather than giving it our best and coming up short on ability. We've done that is so many games this season, first half against Wimbledon is another recent one that springs to mind.

Tilt and Ojo were i believe player of the season at this level, Darikwa has been a good Championship player for a number of seasons, Wooton played regulary in the Championship for Leeds for 3 seasons yet you wouldn't know it when they play for us.

We might have to agree to disagree - but if this exact same set of players was motivated and organised we wouldn't be saying they were as bad as results suggest. I think they'd be lower mid table comfortably, we wouldn't be ripping up any trees but we'd be picking up points to keep the relegation places at arms length.

I think we will have to agree to disagree
Even with the players you've used as examples of being better than our league position - Darikwa hadn't played in an ice age before joining us & just because a player was apparently good several years ago doesn't mean that they still are - age, injuries etc.. can all have an impact,
Wooton hadn't played at Championship level since 2016 and (whether through injury, suspensions or whatever) only appears to have been a bit part player with an average of 20ish appearances a season over the last since leaving Leeds.
I can't find any record of Ojo winning a player of the year award at Scunthorpe but I know that he got relegated from this division in 18/19.
Tilt won a player of the year award 3 years ago for Blackpool & had played once since 31st January 2020
For me you can't say a player is better than they are showing based on a handful of games & the fact that some of them played at a higher level several years ago.

And where you see a team not bothered I just see players who aren't good enough - It's not being not bothered that's made Jamie Jones drop clangers. It's not that that made 2 defenders run into each other in midweek against Charlton. Same for that game the other week when 2 defenders stood watching the ball (as did Jones) and allowed a forward to brush between them & poke it home late on - it's because they're not very good

As you mention organisation again it's ability - good players can stay focused & organised. These guys can do it in the odd game or in spurts in matches but then revert to type & switch off
I've no doubt motivation will play a part but playing well in phases only to either drop a clanger yourself or see a team mate do it will knock you. As does getting beat most weeks, as does falling behind, even as does going ahead & knowing that you keep throwing away leads. Again the better players can cope with that in the main, the poor ones can't

Injuries haven't helped, a restriction on squad size hasn't helped, administration hasn't helped but ultimately we're where the quality of our squad deserves to be - unfortunately

I think we will have to agree to disagree
Even with the players you've used as examples of being better than our league position - Darikwa hadn't played in an ice age before joining us & just because a player was apparently good several years ago doesn't mean that they still are - age, injuries etc.. can all have an impact,
Wooton hadn't played at Championship level since 2016 and (whether through injury, suspensions or whatever) only appears to have been a bit part player with an average of 20ish appearances a season over the last since leaving Leeds.
I can't find any record of Ojo winning a player of the year award at Scunthorpe but I know that he got relegated from this division in 18/19.
Tilt won a player of the year award 3 years ago for Blackpool & had played once since 31st January 2020
For me you can't say a player is better than they are showing based on a handful of games & the fact that some of them played at a higher level several years ago.

And where you see a team not bothered I just see players who aren't good enough - It's not being not bothered that's made Jamie Jones drop clangers. It's not that that made 2 defenders run into each other in midweek against Charlton. Same for that game the other week when 2 defenders stood watching the ball (as did Jones) and allowed a forward to brush between them & poke it home late on - it's because they're not very good

As you mention organisation again it's ability - good players can stay focused & organised. These guys can do it in the odd game or in spurts in matches but then revert to type & switch off
I've no doubt motivation will play a part but playing well in phases only to either drop a clanger yourself or see a team mate do it will knock you. As does getting beat most weeks, as does falling behind, even as does going ahead & knowing that you keep throwing away leads. Again the better players can cope with that in the main, the poor ones can't

Injuries haven't helped, a restriction on squad size hasn't helped, administration hasn't helped but ultimately we're where the quality of our squad deserves to be - unfortunately

Virtually all you are saying could be levelled at most of the teams at the bottom of any division. Players not good enough for the league.

However I tend to agree with some of what KDZ is saying in that some of the players we have brought in have shown the ability to play at higher levels prior to injury.

There have been bright spots this season but the overall state of play does show that there is a problem in getting them to play at a consistent level. My opinion on this is that we are struggling week in week out to put out an unchanged side and players are having to adjust their game every match to accommodate players coming in. Until we are able to settle the side down there will be misunderstandings between players and no doubt these will lead to goals at one end and balls going astray in front of goal at the other end.

This is being compounded by the amount of games we are playing each week not allowing time on the training ground and a general lack of coaching staff, at an appropriate level. I know KDZ has suggested that there will be coaching staff out there who are looking for employment but will they be equal or better than what we have and would they be willing to accept a week to week contract as that is most likely what would be on offer.

Virtually all you are saying could be levelled at most of the teams at the bottom of any division. Players not good enough for the league.

However I tend to agree with some of what KDZ is saying in that some of the players we have brought in have shown the ability to play at higher levels prior to injury.

There have been bright spots this season but the overall state of play does show that there is a problem in getting them to play at a consistent level. My opinion on this is that we are struggling week in week out to put out an unchanged side and players are having to adjust their game every match to accommodate players coming in. Until we are able to settle the side down there will be misunderstandings between players and no doubt these will lead to goals at one end and balls going astray in front of goal at the other end.

This is being compounded by the amount of games we are playing each week not allowing time on the training ground and a general lack of coaching staff, at an appropriate level. I know KDZ has suggested that there will be coaching staff out there who are looking for employment but will they be equal or better than what we have and would they be willing to accept a week to week contract as that is most likely what would be on offer.
You don't need a uefa pro coaching badge to make players stop running into each other

You don't need a uefa pro coaching badge to make players stop running into each other

Agreed, but bringing in coaches for the sake of making up numbers is pointless.

Players need to respect coaches to be able to work with them and I would suspect that most of those kicking their heels are from non league clubs as the EFL clubs have received support to maintain their staff. By it's very definition coaches working at non league level will not be on a par with normal L1 coaching staff.

I believe it would be very difficult to recruit coaching staff with the appropriate level of experience and skill at this point in time.

I’ve no doubt all that adds up to the “whole” so to speak but the major part is that they’re of a lower quality of player
And you’re exactly right in that the same thing can be said of all the sides at the bottom

I just don’t really think it stands up to scrutiny saying Wooton is better than were seeing because he played for Leeds in the championship 5 years ago. Or Darikwa was good before some really bad injuries
Players careers tail off due to age and injuries and just coz someone played at a higher level in the past doesn’t mean they’re capable of more than they’re showing (on a consistent basis) in the here and now