Match Thread: Lincoln City v Accrington Stanley | Page 52 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Accrington Stanley

I don’t think it is down to the new recruits, as a “team” first half we were not at the races. That is a combination of Accrington doing a job on us tactically and playing decent stuff. We were not at our passing game, in some instances being too greedy and then losing possession inviting pressure on us. A mistake from our keeper - it happens, same as a forward missing a penalty tbf. For their second I’m sure we could have closed them down more but tired legs may have played a part. When Scully came on things improved, getting the midfield combination right without Bridcutt is now key.

Quite simply it's difficult when you change 3 of your 4 back line. And it can't have helped Palmer either. Didn't we do something similar at home to Pompey? Accy are too good to make such significant changes, and may even have pressed extra hard having seen the team sheet. It would have been better to do this against a slow build up team like Ipswich but the fixture list didn't help us with that and Mapp obviously needed to juggle the semi final with cup tied squad members.

Quite simply it's difficult when you change 3 of your 4 back line. And it can't have helped Palmer either. Didn't we do something similar at home to Pompey? Accy are too good to make such significant changes, and may even have pressed extra hard having seen the team sheet. It would have been better to do this against a slow build up team like Ipswich but the fixture list didn't help us with that and Mapp obviously needed to juggle the semi final with cup tied squad members.

Palmer was messing a lot up in first half.
Aside from the goal, pretty much every kick out went very astray.
Maybe the unfamiliar back four unsettled him or a "kicking muscle" problem we don't know about.
Came back strong in second half though.

And Montsma really wasn't great either on his return. But we know how good he is. He'll be back to his best soon.

I once heard the late Brian Johnson being interviewd about his time on TMS - he said he had been told at an early stage in his career that when commentating for The Wireless, he should imagine he is describing the action to a blind person. I think Michael Hortin mis-heard the same interview and has been perfecting the art of imagining he is a blind person describing the action!

Ah but Thommo is the eyes for Hortin. Who can forget the " it's a goal Michael" incident?

Personally I like the Hortin Thommo combo.

Yeah, they don't really bother me, then again I'm usually far too busy watching the game to listen. :grinning:

Find it a bit annoying the Pizza cup game won't be shown here in US. (not legally anyway). So back to audio only, with the Sunlan' commentary for that one I guess.

May be worth a couple of behind closed doors friendlies against decent oppo in the next few month for the new boys, Morton, Roughan, Bridcutt to help rehab, etc.??? We could well need everyone to come to the party in the last 19 games.
When do they fit those into already tight fixture list (same for the opposition)

Having seen the highlights, it confirmed my initial reaction last night, that their goalie could have been at fault - at least to some extent - when he came for our second goal; would even up Palmers involvement in their first goal

Love all the posts and the obvious passion, my opinion, bad performance but got a point and almost a win. If that happens when so many have an off game we haven't many problems.
On the Hortin debate, its all very well saying it isn't a problem with him mixing up players names and not even mentioning the away team names when your watching on ifollow, but what about those who only have the radio broadcast to get the information on their favorite team and how they are progressing.
One last observation, why do so many people believe that Morton will be the answer later in the season, on what evidence? Hes only played a handful of minutes for the Imps.
Forever upwards.

One last observation, why do so many people believe that Morton will be the answer later in the season, on what evidence? Hes only played a handful of minutes for the Imps.

Based largely upon his goals last last season at Northampton which quite simply was the reason they were promoted. Living close to West Brom I also know that they hold him in high regard

Appraisal of the match? We just didn't turn up in the first half and really didn;t get going until the goal/Edun coming on.

As for what bothered me more. Radio Lincolnshire needs sacking off. They obviously couldn't give a fig about their output. Hortin is almost unbearable and moreso every game. He called Edun Eyoma twice last night despite Eyoma not being on the pitch.

As for the comments about "technical issues this evening." The last 4 or 5 matches have been plagued with him either sitting on the "jingle" button or it being auto triggered by the phrase "For me." Last night was embarrasing and at this time other teams are hearing this crap. He (and RLincs) are absolutely clueless and considering the Beeb prides itself on its output it was one of the most unprofessional outputs you will ever hear.

Surely we can rope together 2 men and a mic and some cables that work to provide our own audio to the stream? And maybe we can get some of those spatter guards so the mic doesn't pick up every breath as if the commentator is trying to do the "edgy" singer on the X factor.

Last edited:
If Rob Makepeace is doing the commentary, that's fine, he's good at it. His register is slightly too high for radio but that's being picky, he tells you accurately what's happening.

No-one told Clive Tildsley that. I'm sure Makepeace must have a lower register than ITVs No1.

Last edited:
Sorry to add to the flogging!

The problem for Hortin (or Makepeace) is that 1 commentary is now addressing 3 audiences.

I'll wager a significant part of the local matchday audience follows the match audio only via Radio Lincs commentary. From direct experience in recent seasons Hortin isn't too bad at this, the style with him and Thommo works well. Unless the listener has detailed knowledge of the opposition players, 'goalkeeper', 'left back' etc works well in being able to visualise where the play is.

Superimpose that commentary over match video and it starts to break down. The radio element means more of the commentary is stating the bleeding obvious, the mistakes and busking become more apparent. When we can see where the action is and read the players' names, the 'goalkeeper', 'left back' starts to grate. But if Hortin changes his approach more to that of a TV commentator, radio listeners will lose out.

Now the commentary is also fed to the away stream, it really doesn't work. Last night was embarassing at times, but much of that nothing to do with Hortin.

The solution? Dedicated iFollow stream commentary, separate from the Radio Lincs one. But please, not Kwis and Kev!

Don't agree with most of this. I do agree the "left, back, goalkeeper" part is fine on the radio but Hortin only describes bits of the game. He doesn't watch the game properly, asks the viewer (or Thommo) what happened constantly. Their header in the second half that bounced and then went over the bar he had no idea it had bounced from the ground and over until he saw the replay. He's too busy looking at the opposition dugout, nudging Thommo, trying to get some corny catchphrase going "nothing burger" and if it hadn't been for the covid situation we would have never known how bad he was at radio commentary. I always assumed (when listening to the radio) that not much was really happening and that any foul or card we got was harsh while they got away with everything.

So he isn't fine for radio. Just that if you didn't have the video you wouldn't realise how short changed you are as a radio listener unless you were only tuning in to listen to Colin from the fast show thinking he is funny.

The defensive changes last night made sense, but I didn't think we'd make as many.

Eyoma's played through two games despite being ill so he was probably the most pressing for a breather. It wasn't that long ago that we couldn't get three games a week out of Jackson or Walsh but if either was going to miss out last night, I thought it would have been Walsh as we're managing his knee injury.

The most surprising for me was Edun, for no other reason that Bramall hasn't been here that long but Edun's another that's played lots of football recently, and will probably keep playing a lot as well.

It was obvious one eye is on Wednesday and Saturday i.e. Poole, Rogers and Bramall cup-tied so it was an obvious game to play them if MA chose to.

Perhaps shows that MA wants to keep our good record up against the lesser sides. If you were to pick two games from this week you'd rather play your strongest XI in, it would have been yesterday and Sunderland?

Since there are a number of games recently when we have played much better in the second half than the first, does that raise some questions about how we could avoid this going forward?

The obvious one is to get MA to do his half-time speech before the team go out for the start of the match, rather than waiting until they have let 45 minutes drift by.

The other option is do enough research and pass on enough information for the players to adapt what they are doing when it is happening, rather than wait until they come off and are told what to change.

Perhaps I am being harsh, but it does seem to be a recurring problem.