#COVID19 | Page 781 | Vital Football

#COVID19

You're probably right but I'm not quite sure what you mean?

When delivering online content older lecturers just simply talked into a camera (if you were lucky) as if it was a normal lecture. They had no appreciation it was a completely different medium to a very different audience. Monotone and tedious to be honest.

The younger ones at least had some concept of how to engage and make use of different cameras, editing etc. They made it more of a performance, utilised props etc.

And that is all down to Boris Johnson's dithering. He has cost us the whole of 2021

The idea that we in Nottingham won't have been able to go to a cafe or restaurant for SEVEN MONTHS (at least) and that Manchester etc will have been even longer is a disgrace and quite staggering failure of leadership.

So when we can all eat out again, guess what's going to happen? Will it be Boris saying "you can eat out, but please don't"? And then blaming us all? Or will it be Boris paying us to eat out and then blaming us all?
still, it still takes morons to listen to him anyway and to not follow rules., all the brits spread the fooker half way around the world all year too lest you forget :(

When delivering online content older lecturers just simply talked into a camera (if you were lucky) as if it was a normal lecture. They had no appreciation it was a completely different medium to a very different audience. Monotone and tedious to be honest.

The younger ones at least had some concept of how to engage and make use of different cameras, editing etc. They made it more of a performance, utilised props etc.

not sure it was a new audience back tthen, we were all technophobes but for sure we have all progressed

Different country but similar problems regarding Unis. I have a grand daughter, 35 years old and I think employed by our State Govt in a Uni teaching/
organizing capacity. She's bright as a button and puts an awful lot of effort into the job, which is well paid. She's also completed several Uni courses.
Our Unis are going through a real bad patch with no ending in sight as our students come in high numbers from Asia, China in particular, and that country has it's knife into us and keeps on twisting it. The question of re-embursement for students never gets mentioned here but the Uni employees tend to work themselves into the ground. So I'm aware to a minor extent of Uni problems.

On the other hand I had to smile at a comment by Itto I think which referred to students missing out on the shagging, boozing, and other experiences normally enjoyed by Uni students.
As a real old fogie I can confirm that those sort of opportunities never presented themselves in my day, maybe I should have gone to a Uni.

And finally I'm sympathetic to anybody suffering in any way from Covid but in particular to the family man or woman with children who is without a job but has a big fat mortgage to pay.

Largely fair, I expect, but let me know if you need to borrow my Extra Broad Brush someday.

The differences in student engagement skills between young and old are not limited to the transition to digital. Old monotonous lecturers and teachers are just that, no matter where they work or what medium they work with. Part of the trouble in HE is many get their Lectureship jobs on the back of being good researchers, which is a different skill set. The teaching case for their appointment has to be there, but has often take a back seat during recruitment.

In mitigation, there is a widespread movement in universities that teaching staff must undertake a post graduate certificate in education, making them part of the Higher Education Academy. Completion is often a condition of probation but senior staff do it too. It covers hints and tips for more engaging and effective delivery, but also explores the pedagogical theory.

Also while I'm defending the fuddy duddies, these silverbacks are the staff that are the module /strand /year leaders and course directors responsible for ensuring that content is available and engaging. They have to do that because of several pressures (from students in their new 'transactional' approach to HE, thanks to student fees; the TEF; etc). The isolated old Prof you paint surely exists, but is probably not representative of the majority.

Largely fair, I expect, but let me know if you need to borrow my Extra Broad Brush someday.

The differences in student engagement skills between young and old are not limited to the transition to digital. Old monotonous lecturers and teachers are just that, no matter where they work or what medium they work with. Part of the trouble in HE is many get their Lectureship jobs on the back of being good researchers, which is a different skill set. The teaching case for their appointment has to be there, but has often take a back seat during recruitment.

In mitigation, there is a widespread movement in universities that teaching staff must undertake a post graduate certificate in education, making them part of the Higher Education Academy. Completion is often a condition of probation but senior staff do it too. It covers hints and tips for more engaging and effective delivery, but also explores the pedagogical theory.

Also while I'm defending the fuddy duddies, these silverbacks are the staff that are the module /strand /year leaders and course directors responsible for ensuring that content is available and engaging. They have to do that because of several pressures (from students in their new 'transactional' approach to HE, thanks to student fees; the TEF; etc). The isolated old Prof you paint surely exists, but is probably not representative of the majority.

So are we seeing the end of corduroy jackets with elbow patches? [sadface]

The sad new that Glasto has been shelved, has reminded me of that great scene in Brassic, where farmer Jim has a bit of a pop.

One of the best scenes from an excellent comedy...