January Signings | Page 11 | Vital Football

January Signings

Got to strike a better balance between a respectable points tally and building for next season than signing the likes of Lingard would represent.

Wilder can't have many complaints if they don't trust him to spend but if he tells them he's building for the Championship that changes things. Because we're in a position of relative financial strength where we can pick from the best in a league we're familiar with rather than having to scrape by on scraps at the top level, hamstrung by wage restrictions.

Given money to spend for the Championship, I don't think Wilder would fuck it up. It should be straightforward.

Go after the likes of Ben Davies, Pearson and Rothwell and we could be perfectly set for next season.
Hasn’t it been said Davies would be no better off if he came to us than staying at pne

Hasn’t it been said Davies would be no better off if he came to us than staying at pne

We should offer him more then, especially if we anticipate selling JOC.

Alternatively, go for Cooper but be prepared to pay a bigger fee.

Cooper, Pearson and Rothwell would be worth the investment now. Might be about £15m.

We should offer him more then, especially if we anticipate selling JOC.

Alternatively, go for Cooper but be prepared to pay a bigger fee.

Cooper, Pearson and Rothwell would be worth the investment now. Might be about £15m.
I’m not disagreeing with you I’m in agreement that’s the way to go I think the way it was mooted suggested that money wasn’t available to pay more

I’m not disagreeing with you I’m in agreement that’s the way to go I think the way it was mooted suggested that money wasn’t available to pay more

Alan Browne has just signed a new contract with Preston so maybe that indicates they're paying more than they usually do.

We have to be able to outspend them though. Can't plead poverty next season.

The Lancashire media are reporting that Johnson is close to re-signing, Pearson's been froxen out of the squad because he won't sign and Davies is still a starter with an offer to re-sign on the table - with PNE open to offers this window.

It'd be a smashing bit of business to tie Davies and Pearson to pre contracts. But it's the same issue we faced with Antonee Robinson, other clubs are likely to offer more attractive financial packages - which is barmy considering we've entered the market where we're spending 20 million on individual players.

We're still in for Lingard apparently - although so are Spurs and West Ham...and before you know it Villa will appear on the list too - so don't rate our chances

He will probably be on more money if he stays.
Anyway, think of all that psychological damage he’d have to contend with if he came for 4 months or so and we get relegated on the lowest points total ever?
Just doesn’t bear thinking about.

It'd be a smashing bit of business to tie Davies and Pearson to pre contracts. But it's the same issue we faced with Antonee Robinson, other clubs are likely to offer more attractive financial packages - which is barmy considering we've entered the market where we're spending 20 million on individual players.

Indeed. Unless established PL clubs are in for them, there's no reason we shouldn't be able to sign Pearson and Davies.

If Johnson is close to re-signing though I'd say Preston are paying close to 20k a week, which is quite a removal from the norm for them.

We should be able to go to 25k p/w in the Championship. Just don't bulk out the squad with dross and clutter the wage bill. No more Rodwells, Morrisons, Bryans and Foderinghams. Concentrate the budget into a core of 20 or so, then we'll avoid getting into a mess.

A squad like this is what we should be aiming for:

1. Aaron Ramsdale
2. George Baldock
3. Enda Stevens
4. John Fleck
5. Jake Cooper / Ben Davies
6. Chris Basham
7. Joe Rothwell
8. Ben Pearson
9. Oli McBurnie
10. Rhian Brewster
11. Luke Freeman
12. John Egan
13. Michael Verrips
14. Oli Burke
15. Luke Woolfenden
16. Rhys Norrington
17. David McGoldrick
18. Regan Slater
19. Billy Sharp
20. Jayden Bogle
21. Ben Osborn

Jesse Lingard is 'hanging tight' and hoping for a more enticing offer than a loan move to Sheffield United #mulive [men]

His agents working hard for him, probably doesn't fancy a relegation battle.

Don’t know if it’s just me or not but I don’t get the lingard interest he just doesn’t appear to be a wilder type player and as has been said it’s a very short term blinkered approach imo I just don’t see him being any kind of fit in our team

Hourihane's gone to Swansea.

Could be one for the summer but only if Fleck leaves. Which at this rate isn't likely.

A squad like this is what we should be aiming for:

1. Aaron Ramsdale
2. George Baldock
3. Enda Stevens
4. John Fleck
5. Jake Cooper / Ben Davies
6. Chris Basham
7. Joe Rothwell
8. Ben Pearson
9. Oli McBurnie
10. Rhian Brewster
11. Luke Freeman
12. John Egan
13. Michael Verrips
14. Oli Burke
15. Luke Woolfenden
16. Rhys Norrington
17. David McGoldrick
18. Regan Slater
19. Billy Sharp
20. Jayden Bogle
21. Ben Osborn

Some interesting recent comments from Ipswich fans re Woolfenden. https://tractor-boys.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67432&sid=2ba07252bfae6ff6043fe1595f8dabaa

He's been dropped by Lambert and he's even getting called a Billy Big Bollocks by one poster, with no one disagreeing. A massive change in viewpoint from 12 months ago when they were all saying he was worth 8 figures.