Manchester City v Aston Villa Match Thread - Wed 20th Jan @ 6pm | Page 35 | Vital Football

Manchester City v Aston Villa Match Thread - Wed 20th Jan @ 6pm

From memory Mings was very much under pressure at the time of his poor control, how else could an opposing player get so close and win the ball so quickly. On that basis Mings was getting challenged for the ball by a player in an offside position and it therefore should not have stood.

Exactly correct.
The rule is fine, once Mings touches the ball then OK, the opposing player is now 'active' and on side. The problem is the rule has been both applied out of context and is also null and void due to the interfering with play from Rodri.
The laws state that an opposing offside player does NOT need to touch the ball to be deemed offside. The players movement and gesturing, that could put off the defender etc means that the player is actively interfering with play and is therefore offside.
Rodri did all of those, by charging at Mings, making up grounds and pressuring him. And the main point being is that he did all of those, even BEFORE Mings even touched the ball. If Mings leaves the ball to go over his head, Rodri is offside. Surley that then makes the initial rule null and void too?

Premier League stats - errors leading to goals.

I can't find Tyrone Mings anywhere on the list :shrug:

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/error_lead_to_goal

I think it’s a very subjective measure, there have been 500+ goals scored this season, and according to that less than maybe 30 from mistakes. It depends on length of time from error to goal, as most goals are from a form of error - say a sloppy pass or getting tackled.

I did say during the game, I can only think of Brighton where I thought he’s made a mistake (positionally) that’s cost us a goal.

Mings making mistakes is nothing new, he made them regularly last season. The flip side is, he isn’t hoofing the back up field and is trying to play for the back. There are times though when he overplays for a defender, and it’s those times where he needs to stick his head on it or row Z it.

Last edited:
My interpretation of the offside rule is that he was offside. I don’t accept that this was the correct decision.

The rule being quoted is clearly meant to be used to cover terrible back passes and is being misused.

This should be superseded by the above law that says a player causes an offside offence when they challenge for the ball.

Rodri did not receive the ball from Mings, he clearly challenged for the ball.

I think it’s bizarre that everyone’s accepted that this is within the rules.

Mings making mistakes is nothing new, he made them regularly last season. The flip side is, he isn’t hoofing the back up field and is trying to play for the back. There are times though when he overplays for a defender, and it’s those times where he needs to stick his head on it for row Z it.
dan,, I think that those of us who have commented are saying exactly that, it encapsulates the arguement. Cut out his tendency to overplay in dangerous situations and you have a good defender.

Defenders make mistakes that lead sometimes to goals. Judge over a season....so far 2nd best defence in the league. So I am very happy.

People were saying this game was a free hit.....and now pages of upset on here.
We shouldn't be judging our squad vs Man City...we have spend a fraction of what that squad cost. How far we have come that it's taking dodgy goals to beat us.

We were in the game, yes under pressure but that was always gonna be the case. We are punching above our weight and I think we will finish 11th or higher. And if so we should all be saying "Great season".

In the summer we need at least one goal scorer, more depth and aim higher.

PS Roscoe has a brilliant eye for a pass but he was too slow making them this game. Rusty IMO but if we keep him fit and he sharpens up he could be our De Bruyne.

I think @Villa 4 Ever that people are now looking for Mings mistakes as opposed noticing them. If there was as much focus on Konsa as there is on others then I'm sure he could be picked apart.

Can anyone list all the goals Mings has supposedly cost us this season.
And if so I bet going on to analyse would highlight other players mistakes in those goals.

For example, Mings got immediate pelters for Manures first goal yet.....Konsa let Martial get across him and Traore's poor free kick started the whole thing off.
But let's focus on Mings again. Some just seem to have it in for him and he has even got stick for chewing gum .
Bizarre.

One thing I want to see is Watkins in the other oppositions goal chatting to their keeper having a chin wag, waiting for a ball to be smashed up field waiting for a defender to take it on and Watkins to sprint behind him and take it.

:shrug:

I think @Villa 4 Ever that people are now looking for Mings mistakes as opposed noticing them. If there was as much focus on Konsa as there is on others then I'm sure he could be picked apart.

Can anyone list all the goals Mings has supposedly cost us this season.
And if so I bet going on to analyse would highlight other players mistakes in those goals.

For example, Mings got immediate pelters for Manures first goal yet.....Konsa let Martial get across him and Traore's poor free kick started the whole thing off.
But let's focus on Mings again. Some just seem to have it in for him and he has even got stick for chewing gum .
Bizarre.

I know what you're saying but I just have a balanced view, I'll call Grealish out for having a bad day like against Leeds, McGinn if he constantly passes to the other opposition, Bertrand if he fails to track back, Luiz if he nods off and ball watches and Mings for sprinting up thinking he's Harry McGuire, trying to dribbling past players.

The thing is Mings is being mentioned by the commentators and Konsa isn't in quite a few games now, but I think Mings is at fault a lot more than Konsa, He would be a great player if he played things simple, but he keeps wanting to switch it up and be more than he is, it's probably why I prefer Hause because he literally just does his job as a defender.

I'm hoping Hause is fit and now Targett is injured Mings can push out wide and that perhaps takes some of the pressure off him.

He was outstanding for 89 minutes yesterday. I think many peoples issue with him is that he always has a mistake in him. He's often too careless, sloppy and nonchalant, and always seems to get punished.

If he could could those out of his game then he'd be a great defender. But he never does seem to learn.

Last night may well be a harsh example of that given where the player came from, but he needs to just be clearing his lines there, not fannying around with it. I'd like to say he'll learn from it but he's done it so often and keeps doing it so seems he's not learning or just being stubborn?

How can anyone see him as a leader when A. He continue to makes mistakes like he does
B. He does not look like he gives a fuck about eliminating them from his game.

After his Twitter post, I am willing to give him one last chance to see if he really will improve or not.

Making those blocks is what his role is, but then fucking it up due to being obstinate is not acceptable.

Pmsl as ever at the always has a mistake in him levelled at Mings.

Again.....
Every player makes in game mistakes. But some positions get punished more than others .
Striker miscontrols the ball in the same manner as Mings did infront of goal =mistake. But what happens?, score stays the same. Defender or goalkeeper does that score changes as we have seen. No one bats an eyelid if a striker or midfielder loses the ball badly because it doesn't lead to anything because of where they

The most important thing in what you have posted is...why are you using vpn 😁

So how was Mings chesting the ball down any different to a goalie parrying the ball? If you are offside when a goalie parries a ball to you, its offside. Im confused lol
Mings could have headed that clear and past the halfway line rather than inviting pressure onto an already pressurised situation following Martinez's poor clearance . Poor decision making from a lack of experience at this level against this level of opponent . Frustrating