Coronavirus | Page 511 | Vital Football

Coronavirus

Back to "Level Five" lockdown over here from midnight until 31st January at the earliest.
We were the best in Europe a month ago...level five.JPG

I've never understood that. Why can't they ban travel? Why are the "rules" just suggestions? Why wasn't a state of emergency declared in March and all international and domestic travel banned until the situation was under control?

Boris has half-arsed this situation all the way along. Remember him boasting about shaking hands with Covid patients?

Being cynical I suspect this relates in part to Brexit, Boris never wanted to cut off the American Airlines which have god knows how many flights daily, as he was pimping us for a trade deal with Trump.

I don’t know what difference it’s made, but it can’t have made the situation better allowing people to travel.

I suspect the U.K. was one of the last countries to stop visitors from the states, even if we did so - I’m not even sure we have

Really pleased that local residents get the Oxford vaccine first.

Nice touch that. Not so bad this government after all.

Another month or two and we might have been down to NZ levels. Test and trace would have had more time to get ready and less cases to trace. So it might have coped.

Someone said you can rebuild economies but you can't bring people back to life. And we would not still be hitting the businesses now.

PS I expect total deaths to double before we have this under control.
Heartbreaking.

Yes it is heartbreaking. Terrible. I don't dispute that, and I don't agree with the let it rip argument either. We will not get this virus under control. It is a virus, and any politician that thinks you can control it is either stupid or lying. We can do things to help, shield the vulnerable, lockdown nursing homes, stop infecting people in hospitals (25% of cases are caught in hospitals apparently), have a proper test and trace system, but without an economy we cannot have an NHS to fight the virus. There is no magic money tree, debt is over 100% of GDP, and getting much worse. The cutbacks that are going to be needed to recover from this are going to be extreme, if we don't keep the economy open. We are looking at in 2021 at a possible 1 million extra people out of work, business failing, and all that goes with it, health issues, mental health issues, domestic break up and abuse, and suicide. The World Health Organisation have stated the only thing that lockdowns do is make poor people poorer.

Anyway, I'm not going to change anybody's point of view, and I cannot change anything. We are all just passenger's in a plane that is hurtling to the ground with the pilot who is telling us it's a bit bumpy but all will be well, and I hope pilot Boris is right and I'm wrong. I suppose we all have to hope that.

Of all the things to get pissed off about covid-19, wearing a piece of cloth over your mouth is not one of them. Who cares if it is medically proven or not, it's a piece of cloth, just wear it.

But but but...
What about our uman rights init.
Oh the meltdown if we had actual gas masks to carry round and wear. Not like that ever happened before......
You can't make me wear that mask in a chemical attack. That mustard gas is fake news .

Of all the things to get pissed off about covid-19, wearing a piece of cloth over your mouth is not one of them. Who cares if it is medically proven or not, it's a piece of cloth, just wear it.

And, like me, I'm sure if in 6 months after the pandemic is over, they say the masks didn't actually do anything/much, you'd still be, fine, not a problem.

Why?

Because as you are saying, it really isn't a problem and it has to be worth a try.

I intend, when I got to the doctors during the winter, to wear masks in future regardless, saves catching colds/flu when there. Although I'm hoping there is a change in that process as well, and we will be able to have more remote appointments if we want.

Delaying second doses of the vaccine sounds like a good idea in theory because it means more people can have it, but have they considered that Pfizer says there is no evidence that the first jab gives more than 3 weeks of immunity?

It might end up being the same for the Oxford vaccine as well, but I think the gap is meant to be 4 weeks there.

The government have got one job here, don't to balls up this vaccine roll out. Imagine buying more than 100 million doses of something potentially life-saving only to waste it by ignoring data from manufacturers and clinical trials.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...cond-stage-nhs-vaccinations-delayed-across-uk

Delaying second doses of the vaccine sounds like a good idea in theory because it means more people can have it, but have they considered that Pfizer says there is no evidence that the first jab gives more than 3 weeks of immunity?

It might end up being the same for the Oxford vaccine as well, but I think the gap is meant to be 4 weeks there.

The government have got one job here, don't to balls up this vaccine roll out. Imagine buying more than 100 million doses of something potentially life-saving only to waste it by ignoring data from manufacturers and clinical trials.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...cond-stage-nhs-vaccinations-delayed-across-uk
I have been following this all afternoon and its bollocks. The vaccine was approved for use based on two jabs three weeks apart. Now this lot are going against the science and what the developers of the vaccine are saying. I have just read if its given up to 12 weeks apart it is then only 80% effective. Having said I would be first in the queue when the time comes they can go and do one until they do what the developers say and what was approved for use.