Coronavirus | Page 510 | Vital Football

Coronavirus

In hindsight (which is easy I know), why didn’t they ever talk about a mutation and what might happen? We talked about mutations here and waves early doors and were football fans, but had they theorised what might happen in a mutation - quicker transmission or more deadly - maybe we would be in a better place.

Perhaps they need some hard hitting doomsday forecasts to wake us up?

I heard a third hand story that the situation in hospitals is a lot worse than is being reported on the news.

Mentioned many many pages back one virologist on NN covered it and although viruses mutating sounds alarming, he says it is a regular phenomenum and they usually become weaker as they mutate. Just 'our' luck this one decided to become cleverer and has made itself easier to transmit isn't it?!

Looking at those charts, I think they should go with regional lockdowns based on those regions defined (West Midlands, East Midlands, Wales, Yorkshire etc) and impose road checks and checks on arrival at train stations.

That would be a lot of resource but it would be a way to feasible restrict travel and keep people in their region. Obviously there will be winners as losers as somewhere like Herefordshire is lumped in with Birmingham, but that’s kind of tough shit.

You could then potentially start to get places such as the South West and Wales COVID free (potentially) if people take regional responsibility.

Mentioned many many pages back one virologist on NN covered it and although viruses mutating sounds alarming, he says it is a regular phenomenum and they usually become weaker as they mutate. Just 'our' luck this one decided to become cleverer and has made itself easier to transmit isn't it?!

Ever since a hole in one I once fluked, I always believe you create your luck. If you have a pandemic out of control, you are more likely to see a mutation. It’s not really a coincidence we have seen one whereas japan hasn’t.

It’s also a downside of being a very advanced country like the U.K., so we have lots of great resource and scientific ability but we are incompetent!

What I love about JVT, spade is a spade. And he explains it in layman’s terms. No political agenda, no spin, no covering up of the bad, no over optimism. Really is the top performer from all this.

Not all those advisors have covered themselves in glory, Dr Harries was a disgrace in my book.

It's the one bit I've not got my head around - former nurses will be out of date, I'm not sure the Forces would strictly have ICU training (although there would be some), so I think any sort of centralisation would spread the staff through too many patients.

Least that's always been my guess.

Someone's made a right dog's dinner out of this 'plan'.

So, the scientists wanted a full January lockdown to get on top of things and start rolling out the vaccine in greater numbers I think?

Instead, the government decide that the threats are serious enough to close down almost every part of society, but that secondaries will be fine after 2 weeks and, inexplicably, primary school staff and pupils are fine to carry on as you were?

Do primary schools know they have immunity from the virus? They must be thrilled!

Someone's made a right dog's dinner out of this 'plan'.

So, the scientists wanted a full January lockdown to get on top of things and start rolling out the vaccine in greater numbers I think?

Instead, the government decide that the threats are serious enough to close down almost every part of society, but that secondaries will be fine after 2 weeks and, inexplicably, primary school staff and pupils are fine to carry on as you were?

Do primary schools know they have immunity from the virus? They must be thrilled!

No mention of Universities.

The summer lockdown did work. I think people in hospital with Covid got as low as 160.

But we opened up...too soon, not phased as promised, not examined with the option to close back down sections where it didn't work....just a near total open up again. Allowed foreign travel too. Schools went back....even subsidised restaurants.

THAT was what didn't work.
It depends on what you call working doesn't it? Opened too soon? Really? Well we will see what is left of our economy when the penny drops that this virus is endemic.

I missed the Q&A but Boris thinks the situation will be “very much better” by Easter.

Heard that one before

Coming back from a carpark pantomine I actually swore at the radio with the lies about the nightingale hospitals being used. Over the last two weeks the head of Nursing in the UK and the Consultants union head both stated the Nightingale hospitals cannot be used because there is no staff for them! I expect politicians to lie but JVT and Whittie? Personally I cannot believe a single word they say anymore. As for the usual guilt trip levelled at the public by JVT, go f*ck youself.

Indeed, our “leader” didn’t turn up to five of the key meetings when it was first becoming news I think he only realised about March after he watched the film Contagion is the rumour. But this is an embarrassing game of trumps (no pun intended).

As bad as governments have been, I think we have a real culture problem in the west in dealing with this. At the start, it was a bit hard to understand as you’ll see from this thread - I never thought it would get to this. There’s something about liberalism, capitalism and a self centred culture where only number 1 matters that doesn’t bode well for a crisis like this.

If I look at Aus or NZ, a mate of mine said they have a lockdown for 9 cases - not sure if that was an example of a real life situation - but they’ve done the right thing to save lives and now they can all get to some day to day normality with the exception of having a load of Brits arriving for some year round sun.

I've never understood that. Why can't they ban travel? Why are the "rules" just suggestions? Why wasn't a state of emergency declared in March and all international and domestic travel banned until the situation was under control?

Boris has half-arsed this situation all the way along. Remember him boasting about shaking hands with Covid patients?

It depends on what you call working doesn't it? Opened too soon? Really? Well we will see what is left of our economy when the penny drops that this virus is endemic.

Another month or two and we might have been down to NZ levels. Test and trace would have had more time to get ready and less cases to trace. So it might have coped.

Someone said you can rebuild economies but you can't bring people back to life. And we would not still be hitting the businesses now.

PS I expect total deaths to double before we have this under control.
Heartbreaking.